Shallow Graves in Siberia

Although technically more correct, in my opinion, these weapons were not of much use. Not everything in wikipedia is historically accurate either, there are many errors, they even ask those who have information to correct it. The Tanks, Aircraft, and a much larger, better trained German army rolled right over them… Just as they rolled over the trenches and army in France. If it had not been for the winter in Russia, they might have done the same.

A more correct description may have been the weapons were from WWI, which is what we read in the Boston newspapers said during the time they took Poland.

Maybe you’re right. Maybe all these AT weapons were not in wide use, as Poles wanted them to be. But lances and sabres were not of much use, at all. They were left with the horses during a battle. It is up to you if you believe and repeat the lies of nazi propaganda.

And few links to clarify (not a wiki links):
http://warandgame.wordpress.com/2008/01/04/polish-cavalry-myth/
http://info-poland.buffalo.edu/classroom/cinema/rzepinski.html
http://www.fpp.co.uk/Letters/History_05/Strasnov_131005.html
http://www.panzerworld.net/fallweiss.html

Cheers,
Kovalski

Well unfortinally i did not read this book yet, and this is not easy to order it via the internet in English.
So may be you could give me the few answers, please.
So what he did in Afganistan?
As i know the most of the Polish prisoners have been sended to the Iran in 1942 to from the Army of Anders according the Soviet-British-Polish agreements.To take fight agains Nazy later.
But why has you father escaped to the Afganistan?

Hardly they might have captured the whole Russia as the done with Europe.
Even without influence of Winter.

Again you will have to get hold of the book, my father is now 93 and his memory is not as it was.

Yep, just what I said… they rolled over Poland, and except for winter, they may have done the same in Russia. By the time it warmed up, lend lease was supplying the Russians with weapons, ammo, and food to help them. My Father in Law was a merchant seaman on a ship delivering supplies. The north sea was also a terrible place to be in winter, they did what had to be done. The Merchant Marine did one heck of a job, and hardly gets any credit at all.

Lend lise did not play a serious role untill the begin of 1943, so the most critical battles like for Moscow ( dec 1941) or Stalingrad ( dec 1942) has been won without lend lise.
The peak of Lend lise supplies was in the 1943-44 during the Great Soviet offensives. It helped a lot.
And you right the Nothern Merchant fleet did a heck of a job.Especially in the 1942-43 when the Krigsmarine sinked about 20% of supplies ships in average.

Many write histories of Battles long after the fact.
Ive been reading every history of every country I could get my hands on, since I was about nine. Used to read an average of 3-4 books a week. From Australia to Africa, to Germany, to New Zealand, to Russia, etc. During this time, after actually experiencing combat, Ive come to the conclusion that most Histories have a lot of misinformation and are slanted. Slanted to back up the authors country, or beliefs, and the the best books about combat, are written by those who Lived them.

Their viewpoint may be small, focused on their personal experiences, but their experiences also tend to be much the same, as the rest of the men in the Battle and more realistic. Especially those written by men like Col David Hackworth, who told it like it really was in Korea and Vietnam. But, Hackworth’s books are better than most, as he served as an EM, earned a battlefield commission, then earned his promotions in every rank, up to Colonel. He never became a General, only due to his protests in the Vietnam War, after his service there.

There is much about him at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hackworth
There are some errors, mostly minor ones like saying he went to Korea as a Sgt, he actually was a Corporal, and was promoted before long. We were attached to the 25th Div several times, and I got to meet him when he still was a Sgt. Learned quite a bit from him, and recommend all of his books.

Right, though Lend Lease begin slowly, as the US had to begin tooling up to supply huge quantities such long distances. At first there were a lot of protests about sending help to Russia. Many of various ethnic groups were against them, because they had joined with Germany. But Roosevelt overcame the objections, and got Congress to approve shipments.

They had to first build the ships to carry it, and train men to be the crews. Merchant ships we already had, were committed to other areas. In early days, only, food and medical supplies were in the first shipments. Later the trucks, tanks, aircraft, etc… and everything else

Early battles for Moscow or Stalingrad were won I believe, due mainly to the ability of the Russians to remain stoic and make major sacrifices in the face of the such odds. When it comes to such situations people do what they must do, and they did it.

This is a good new for me that we have one more experiensed and historically educated member like you.
Thank you and welcome on the board.
i/m absolutly agree that to any author have tend to be biased and non objective in more or less degree.
So we need to compare and study as much sources as we can to learn the true.
3-4 book per week, oh be careful for your sight:)
Usially i read one book per mounth:)
Plus i have the certain number om my favorite book , must for re-reading periodically.
But the most informative my source is a media datas from internet:text, photo and video.
Recently , for instance,i’ve downloaded the great parts of Deutsche Wothenshau fro detail study.

I’ve heard that in the USA there were a lot of protests of certain groups of peoples even agains war with Germany.
The points of isolationists and domestic nazy-sympiaties were still strong.
At least we know for sure neither in 1939 , nor in 1941 the USA did not officially wish to support their British ally in war against Germany.( althought Germans almost openly began to sink the American supplies ship).

They had to first build the ships to carry it, and train men to be the crews. Merchant ships we already had, were committed to other areas. In early days, only, food and medical supplies were in the first shipments. Later the trucks, tanks, aircraft, etc… and everything else

Early battles for Moscow or Stalingrad were won I believe, due mainly to the ability of the Russians to remain stoic and make major sacrifices in the face of the such odds. When it comes to such situations people do what they must do, and they did it.

I think you right thank you.

At 78, don’t read as much as I used to, lately too many books seem like re-writes of others, maybe I read them before and forgot. :slight_smile: But I do like to re-read my favorites. The history, especially the arts, painting and sculpture in particular have been interesting. Would like to have gone to Hermitage in Russia.