Some modern photos of WW2 era weaponry

Hi Sneaksie.
more photos.
Novorossiysk. Museum under the open sky on the “small earth”.

the common view

german antitank gun

the guns

the howitzers

Novorossiysk. Museum under the open sky on the “small earth”.

IL-2 engines.
The majority of the exhibits of museum was raised from the bottom of the black sea

It’s not a Bren but a Czech Zb-26.

The MG.42 looks normal, the only thing that I could see that could possibly be out of place is that the belt is upside down. But the photo isn’t clear enough to be conclusive.

Nope, the Germans used a non-breaking 50 round belt feed from the left side. You would expect the empty belt to exit from the right like that.

Bullets in it are facing backwards.

Hi Sneaksie,

Very nice photos! Congratulations.

I tell you what is “something wrong”. Most people remember subconsciously
MG-42 photographed from left hand side, with characteristic barrel cover and “holes” in it.

Seeing MG-42 photographed from “less photogenic” right hand side and not being familiar with overall look of the weapon your eye starts to register “something wrong”. It is the slot to remove and quickly change barrel.

Here you can see how it worked:

I hope I helped. Tell mi if this was it…

And send more photos!

Photos and drawing from excellent Russian site: http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg33-e.htm

Cheers,

Lancer44

Thanks!

I hope I helped. Tell mi if this was it…

You have quite a knowledge of MG42. What i originally meant ‘wrong’ was that bullets in ammo belt are facing gunner, as SS Tiger wrote:)

Hi Chevan,
I hope you are not afraid to communicate with me…
Yes, I have horns, tail and hoofs, but maybe even with the devil… lol

Mate,
Is your “small earth” - Malaya Zemlya?
I read about big soviet landing operation there.
What is your opinion - was it really major operation or a lot was written about it, just because comrad Brezhnev was somwhere close to it?

BTW - place must be beautiful.

I appreciate if you can answer.

Cheers,

Lancer44

Sneaksie,

That is not correct, the belt is empty, and because the gun feeds from the left side to right, it is in the correct position. Here is a photo of a loaded German MG belt you can see what I mean:

See how there is a tab at the bottom of each link that clicks into the rim of each round? That is what you are mistaking for bullets.

If you look at Lancers first photo you will see that a loaded belt is quite a bit wider than an empty one and that it feeds from the left. Also look at the point where the belt enters the receiver, it is significantly wider than the exit point to accomodate the bullets of a loaded belt. As the cartridges are stripped from the belt and the spent cases ejected down there is no need for the exit point to be wide.

So there is nothing obviously wrong with the set-up of the MG.42 in your picture

On a closer inspection, I think bas is correct.

Well then, the museum was right after all:)

Great photos guys! I enjoyed them.

Now that you guys bring it up I’ve never seen the right side of the MG42. It’s a very ingenius design for quick changing the barrel.

You have a horns? Your wife work ? :slight_smile:

Yes its “Malaya Zemlya” - The small piece of the earth between the Novorossisk molded edge and the black sea where into 1943 was landed Soviet naval force. An enormous quantity of people there perished (Soviet and of Germans).
Yes , you right, the small earth became widely it was known because of Brezhnev’s book. Several museums and memorial into the memory about those be killeden in 70 years there were opened

I seem to remember somebody posted a video of the barrel change, it is indeed a very quick change. I’ll have a look for the video.

Hi Chevan,

Very interesting. Naval and large landing operations were rare on Eastern Front. I think that it would be interesting if you write a bit more about landing on “Small Land” - “Small Earth” is not a good choice for translation.
Common picture of Red Army is just masses of tanks, infantry and artillery crushing German forces.
Landing operation is different and could be of interest to many forum members. If you need help with translation I can help.

Cheers,

Lancer44

Good morning , Lanser.
I do not know the details of the landing operations of the Red Army, but such operations there was much, especially in the south in the Black sea into 1941-42. At this moment the command attempted by any means to stop the advance of Germans in the Kavkaz. Such landings were usually badly prepared, not there was interaction with the aviation and the Black Sea fleet.
Therefore there were many victims. At first such landings did not create large problems for to Manstein in the south. However, everything changed after the Stalingrad.

Common picture of Red Army is just masses of tanks, infantry and artillery crushing German forces

this is analogous to the phrase "Common picture of allied was just masses of aircrafts bombing germans ". Very primitive point.
the general operations of the Red Army are examined here http://wwii-soldat.narod.ru/operations.htm
There were many different operations of Red Army. There were airborne operations, amphibious forces, landings on the aircraft into the rear of enemy for strengthening the partisans. There were strategic offensive operations (1943-45), battles to the survival (Kursk battle). There was the finally bright operation on the environment of Germans in the Stalingrad.

Hi Chevan,

I’m glad you’re back!
(Please, ask me or, perhaps Dani, (I hope he’ll agree), to help with translations. Computer translators are the worst choice for military terms and jargon. The last sentence you wrote: “…bright operation on the environment of Germans in the Stalingrad.”

It should be “…brilliant operation of encircling German forces in Stalingrad”.

or alternatively: “…brilliant operation of envelopment of German forces in Stalingrad.”

You are right that Red Army pioneered many innovative forms of warfare.
Among them airborne. I believe that many members of the Forum have very faint idea about soviet paratroopers before WWII.
Can you bring something on? Let’s say maneuvres in 1938. Transport of T-38 tanks by planes. Paratroopers brigades and so on?
Pictures most welcome!

Cheers,

Lancer44

(How hot is in sunny Krasnodar???)

:smiley: Once and for all: I don’t know Russian language!! I only know few words in Russian. The situation is similar with Spanish, French, German and Italian language.

Yes , sometimes computer translator give the nonsence. I am sorry. One think to know the words, another - to construct right sentence. Its not easy for me.
I not much know about the Paratroopers troops of the Red Army before WW2. But amphibious tanks of RKKA are very interesting.
T-37A (first issure in 1934), T-38(1935), T-40(1939) - it were unique tanks in Red Army.

T-37A under bomber TB-3

it is interesting, what was sensations of the command of tank at this moment…

More interest information and photos about T-37/38/40 see http://bronetehnika.narod.ru/t37/t37_3.html

(the weathe in Krasnodar is rainy)

Hi Dani,

I know that you don’t know Russian. My command of Russian is perhaps just a tiny bit better than yours. I would not attempt to translate from original Russian text - no way! It would take ages.
But I can find some sense in computer translations and add value to it.
Same with you, your historical knowledge and experience makes it possible.

On the other hand, you are able to be objective and moderate…
I’m sometimes subjective and my opinions can be biased… I have to admit to it.
So acting as a team, we can help Chevan to pass valuable and interesting information to other members of the Forum - and I hope we will not kill each other in the process…

Cheers,

Lancer44