Special purpose Panzers.

Porsche Rammtiger

After the order was given for Nibelungenwerk to cease production on their contract for 100 Pz. Kpfw. ‘Tiger’ (P), it was reported on 22 November 1942 that: “Hitler has approved the proposal to produce one Porsche-Tiger as a 'RammTiger”. It should have the task of ramming into houses by means of an extended nose.

It must be heavily armored (including the tracks) at the cost of speed. However, it needs only light armament." Porsche K.G. completed drawing SK 8258 of a VK 45.01(P) mit Rammhaube (with ram hood) by 7 December 1942. The glacis, side and rear plates were to be 30 mm thick and the roof plates 50 mm thick. Its overall length was to be about 8.25 meters, height 2.550 meters, and width 3.600 meters.

Eisenwerke Oberdonau completed the armor components for three Rammtiger in May . In all 3 operational Rammtiger were completed at Nibelungenwerk and accepted by Waffenamt inspectors In August 1943.
No original documentation has been found to date revealing if these three Rammtiger were assigned to a combat unit, sent to the front, or used in their originally intended role.

A good view of the rammhaube in this models of the ramming Tiger.

http://strangevehicles.greyfalcon.us/RAUMPANZER%20TIGER.htm

Sometimes you have to see it to suspect it. :slight_smile:

PanzermessKraftwagen

This very rare armoured vehicle of the German Wehrmacht (Panzermesskraftwagen = Armored measuring motorized vehicle) was used for the testing of artillery weapons at the shooting ranges of Kummersdorf and Hillersleben. The vision poart and side armor were strengtened iin order to allow close observation of the artillery impacts.

Just one or two Pzmskfw were manufactured and one captured by the U.S Army in 1945.

Or to use sensible units…
1 Metric Horsepower = 735 W
1 Mechanical Horsepower (original unit dating back to James Watt) = 746 W

The concrete “tank” is great! But I thought a bridgelayer that could climb itself over antitank obstacles pretty clever.
They don’t mention in the photo caption, but did anyone note this particular vehicle has a broken track (a mine, maybe)?

[/LEFT]

Or to use sensible units…
1 Metric Horsepower = 735 W
1 Mechanical Horsepower (original unit dating back to James Watt) = 746 W

That is a better way to explain it.:slight_smile:

They don’t mention in the photo caption, but did anyone note this particular vehicle has a broken track (a mine, maybe)?

No, unfortunately no mention of the damage, several images of the bruckenleger and sturmsteg panzers show them with broken or loosen tracks.

Yes, that’s kind of where I was leading this to. It seems to imply a strong measure of unreliability if the few photos of them show them non-operational in some way. Particularly I think when the photos show the same consistent type of problem with them.

Agreed, I tough the germans were more “tidy” at the times to taken pictures of his own tanks.

another more of that kind.

Sd.Kfz 253, observation post:

During the late thirties trials were held of the pre-production series of the Sturmgeschütz and it was concluded that these vehicles would have to be supported by an armored ammunition carrier and observation vehicle.Thers were to be based on the Demag semi-tracked chassis.Shortly after the Sturmgeschütz had gone into production in 1940 an order for 25 le gep Beob Wg was placed and these were built between March and June 1940.

As these were the very first production vehicles using the Demag-developed D7p shortened version of the 1 ton tractor some manufacturing difficulties were experienced.

Further series were ordered as the number of Sturmgeschütz was increased , but this specialized model was abandoned in favour of the normal Sd Kfz 250.

Heavier armour and a fully-enclosed crew compartment were features of these Sd Kfz 253.Observation was from a large circular hatch in the roof.The radio aerial on the right-hand side folded forward into a protective channel when not in use.The Sd Kfz 253 served with Sturmgeschütz Batterien 640 , 659 , 660 and 665 in France in 1940 and later with other assault artillery batteries in Russia.

Land-Wasser-Schleppler Amphibious vehicle

Rheinmentall AG was set on an amphibious vehicle for amphibious landings. (probably for sealion) It had no armour so it was sort of abandoned for a pontooon system.

The LWS was undoubtly one of the most pratical vehicles, very little used however, the lack of armor was his main problem.

2 more images of the observation post Sd.Kfz 253 halftrack.

in the DAK.

1th Panzer Div in France 1940.

Somewhere in the Eastern front, god view of the aerial mast and rear hatch.

Those are some great pictures Thanks to all who posted There is a model of the LWS in 1/35 out soon But the price is close to $100 A bit much for a plastic kit

Maybe is plastic touched by Rommel himself :smiley:

yea, that sounds expensive.

LMAO :mrgreen:

I think its a resin model.

I know there is/was a resin model Hobby Boss and Trumpeter both have announced the LWS

thanks for the pics,very interesting. do you have any on the sturm emil?

LWS Its a plastic kit - here is a report

http://ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Hobby_Boss/Prev_HB_LWS_35/HB_82430_LWS.html