T-28 info

Just checked by the way - the minimum armour thickness of the T-28 (probably the rear armour) was just 25mm thick, so pretty any German anti-tank weapon in use in 1945 could have taken it out without a problem.

did i forget to mention the T-28’s where made at the end of WWII.

:mrgreen:

And the army lost one of the T-28’s, just think how could they just lose a tank like that in the woods and then find it 40 years later?!? :?

it’s unbelievable, from two, lost one 8)

yup.

As for its purpose,

…and the Americans had their own version of the Super Tank designed to break through the Siegfried Line Defenses expected to be encountered in Germany. The proposal called for mounting a new HV 105mm T5E1/67 gun in a tank with 8" frontal armor. This gun could effectively penetrate concrete fortifications.
Work began on this Super Heavy Tank, designated as the T28.

source

From the same source:

It was reported that one tank burned up during trials, and the other was broken up for scrap during the Korean War. Yet, in 1974, a T28 was found sitting on a range at Fort Belvoir, Virginia. It is still a mystery as to where this tank spent the years 1947 to 1974. The tank was dismantled and shipped to the General Patton Museum at Fort Knox, Kentucky, where it is on prominent display

And notice the two winches on it’s right side it serves a purpose.

As Dani mentioned this and the Tortoise tank were designed for one purpose only - breaking through the Siegfried line. At the time we expected it to be very hard indeed and thought it could only be done with super-heavy tanks like these. In the event it was actually rather easy - and the tanks were promptly cancelled.

So strangely enough unlike the German super-heavy tanks (Maus and the like) these actually had a purpose in life.

could do, but then the Germans spent enough time designing their own stupidly heavy, useless in the real world tanks so I doubt they’d have much to learn from this.

i never said it had to be the germans :slight_smile: it could have been used for beating japan 8)

I don’t know anything about the Tortoise. And I agree with your points as an over all assessment of combat tanks, the German Maus was also a massive “super-tank” that was too impractical. Even tanks like the King Tiger were farcical in the long run.

But these were actually mobile assault guns, technically they weren’t really tanks, and they were designed for only the specified purpose of smashing into the (largely phantom) fortifications of the mighty Siegfried line, not for much else.

In any case the American Army agreed with you and just used regular tanks as the Siegfried line was overrated anyways. But I doubt they would have been used as anything but specialized, localized applications.

You’ve never been to FT. Belvoir, VA. :smiley: Although, it’s now vastly deforested and urban, it was once like some of the Virginia rural areas about 60 miles south of DC. But I imagine some soldiers took her out for a ‘joyride’ in an unauthorized fashion, and got lost. And as the area of Fairfax Co., VA became more developed and turned over to civilian use, somebody inevitably found it.

Actually, I’m surprised they didn’t’ have it at nearby Aberdeen Proving Ground or FT Meade, MD instead, since that was a major east coast armor posting for many years…