tank debate

I am pretty sure they did. Even in 1981 when a BundesHeer general passed away his coffin was carried in a restored Panther.

There you go, a Panther like new in the panzertruppe schule in Koblenz.

http://media.putfile.com/panther03

http://media.putfile.com/panther02

Thanks for taking the time to find these clips Panzerknacker, but I think there is something wrong with the video - there is no picture.

Nice sound though. :?

That s weird, those are simple wmv clips. check downloading in here.

http://www.waffenhq.de/filme.html

Beautiful video clip Panzerknacker :smiley:

It’s is amazing how large the Panther is when you see it up close. I was able to examine one at the Overloon Battlefield in the Netherlands in the Spring of 1979. It was much larger than I imagined. They had several Shermans and numerous other armoured vehicles there as well.

Thanks again for the link.

Nice video clip Panzerknacker :smiley:

I have seen clips of restored French tanks (S35 and Char B) giving demonstrations with more modern tanks like the LeClerc. Do you know if the Germans have done anything similar to their WWII era tanks?

-[/quote]

I’ m pretty sure the same French military museum that runs those demonstrations also has working German Panthers and perhaps a Tiger, and usually does similar demonstrations of armor of all sides from WWII. I believe the French Army used the Panther for a time in their post-war armor inventory…

Nice video clip Panzerknacker :smiley:

I have seen clips of restored French tanks (S35 and Char B) giving demonstrations with more modern tanks like the LeClerc. Do you know if the Germans have done anything similar to their WWII era tanks?

-[/quote]

I’ m pretty sure the same French military museum that runs those demonstrations also has working German Panthers and perhaps a Tiger, and usually does similar demonstrations of armor of all sides from WWII. I believe the French Army used the Panther for a time in their post-war armor inventory…[/quote]

I think they did have some German tanks as well Nick. If I remember correctly, the demonstration was on an episode of the “Brute Force” series hosted by the actor George C. Scott. I have the videos, but would have to browse through the tapes to confirm.

I am not sure about French service, but will check.

Yes , the Saumur museum had plenty of german vehicle and AFV, is a politic of this museum to have all those in running condition.

I think that the most impressive collection of german AFV is in Kubinka Russia, because it included a lot of nazi experimental Vehicles wich was only used in the Eastern front.

A clip from Saumur King Tiger.

King Tiger video.

(edited…Saumur not Bovington :evil: )

How the hell did they get King Tiger running again? Great video mate and I realy want to see that baby in action.

Henk

Very impressive Panzernacker. Wow.

But isn’t the Tiger clip from the French Musee des Blindes Tank Museum - Panzer Museum Saumur.

Musee des Blindes Tank Museum - Panzer Museum Saumur

http://www.musee-des-blindes.asso.fr/

http://www.musee-des-blindes.asso.fr/2blindes/2jpresent.htm

Quote:
The German collection is enviously looked at by all tank museums worldwide and especially by the Germans, as it is practically complete : Panzer II, III an IV, Panther, Jagdt Panther. Tiger I, King Tiger ( the only one known in working order ), and the various Flak Panzer, recovery Panzer, Armoured cars, tracked troop carriers are on display.

Thanks again Panzernacker for the information and link.

Yeah it was from Saumur I had no idea why I wrote Bovington :roll:

A video of the Tiger 1 turning his 88mm armed turret.

Tiger 1 turret

To compensate the relative slowness of this, some german tank aces like Michael Wittman and Otto Carius quickly learn to turn the entire vehicle in a similar fashion to the StuGs allowing a faster aiming to left and right. This was particulary useful for engaging several targets at small ranges, like the Villers Bocage fighting and the close encounters in Russia.

my vote for the best tank of wwII has to be the T34/ with a 3-man turret, and either a 76mm or 85mm gun. lots and lots of them.

Next best was the PzKwIV, lots of them, spaced armour to cope with HEAT rounds, and given a 75mmKwk48 - quite capable of dealing with most other mediums. Far better sights, too,

Next best was the Sherman especially the ‘Easy 8’, with the 3 inch AA gun barrel, lots of them made, too.

next the British Comet, with the short 17pder, aka 77mm, firing APDS, not so many made, but enough.

I rate the Panther 4th because not a lot were made, it remained unreliable throughout, despite this it was technically the finest medium of the war. the 75/70 being the finest pure a/t gun of the era.

The ‘infantry tank’ section is Britain’s anyway, ;-)! .

Here’s a quiz question -

given that the turret ring of most Brit mediums, and I’s, was too small for anything above the short 6 pder - How did they both get a 75mm? and the Cromwell, the gun being equivalent to an early Sherman 75mm, effectively the ‘French 75mm’ or M97. MV about 2000 fps.

Answer - They rebarrelled the 6pder and enlarged the breech, IIRC. Can anyone confirm this?

Another question, how much bigger was the cartridge for the 2nd gen of 88’s.

Another question, how much bigger was the cartridge for the 2nd gen of 88’s.