Thank you for understanding!

We understand, RS, and are always grateful when an Australian speaks of the Queen’s English, especially where pronunciation is concerned. Like it or not, I think its a “can of tomaytoes” myself, but that might be opening a tin of worms to you.

Oh well, I nearly got away with it. :smiley:

Nah, Australians pronounce it “tumarrrdoes”, while keeping the teeth together (assuming the speaker actually has teeth) and without moving the lips. Ideal pronunciation involves saying it entirely through the nose. :smiley:

As an aside, I’ve read a few times over the years that some members of the British aristocracy deride the Queen’s diction, which really was quite tinny and grating when she was younger. Apparently it’s bound up with the genuine aristocracy’s contempt for the descendants of recent monarchical imports. I suspect that some of these genuine aristocrats can trace their Enlglish lineage all the way back to the Norman invaders in 1066. :smiley:

It’s an achievement of no small merit to be able to discuss complex topics in more than one language. Personally, I have always found that if there was a young lady involved who spoke another language, one’s learning skills improved dramatically.

Actually, RS, isn’t the current British Royal Family really of German origin (Battenburg)?