The islam menace.

I agree with all you said there, but instead of prosecuting the Nazis for offences under German law or established international law a special set of laws was created for prosecuting only Axis offenders.

The deterrent effect for future generations might have been no more than to learn the lesson that they had better not lose a war and be subjected to victor’s justice (which as you say is a whole other issue, that we should leave alone here).

Article 6.

The Tribunal established by the Agreement referred to in Article 1 hereof for the trial and punishment of the major war criminals of the European Axis countries shall have the power to try and punish persons who, acting in the interests of the European Axis countries, whether as individuals or as members of organizations, committed any of the following crimes.

(b) WAR CRIMES: namely, violations of the laws or customs of war. Such violations shall include, but not be limited to, murder, ill-treatment or deportation to slave labor or for any other purpose of civilian population of or in occupied territory, murder or ill-treatment of prisoners of war or persons on the seas, killing of hostages, plunder of public or private property, wanton destruction of cities, towns or villages, or devastation not justified by military necessity …

If the Allies were subject to the same laws their bombing campaigns in Europe might have fallen within:

wanton destruction of cities, towns or villages, or devastation not justified by military necessity …

Quite possibly.

But why did the Allies need to bring the Nazis to account for crimes against humanity, being the extermination of the Jews, when the Allies knew full well what was going on during the war and had the ability but not the inclination to do anything to stop it?

Agreed.

But the Nuremberg Trials were still not equivalent to anything the Western nations then had in their legal systems, either in the crimes prosecuted or the processes used.

I think that might reflect a general perception but perhaps not an accurate view of how the court system worked overall.

I’m not sure that the show trials represented how the courts worked on a day to day basis.

I think I posted something ages ago about the agony of decision a German judge experienced under the Nazis, which reflected the fact that not all German courts were mere puppets of the Nazis.

But this is the constant problem in international law: recognition of states and governments which come into existence and to power by irregular means.

As indeed did the USA after its War of Independence.

How many ‘lawless’ states have the major powers recognised since WWII?

All true.

But the Nuremberg trials also lacked some of the principal features of the justice systems of the Western powers which conducted them, notably by allowing retrospectivity and selectivity of application.

Again, I agree fully.

And the failure to indict the cunts who ran that system from the top, while entirely predictable and understandable for reasons of political pragmatism, merely reinforces my general point that there is no such thing as an essential system of law which applies across the board even in Western countries and that whatever laws apply can always be bent to achieve whatever political or other objectives are desired by those who have the power to make the laws.

Somali charged with murder attempt on Muhammad cartoonist

Danish police shot and wounded man who broke into Kurt Westergaard’s home wielding axe and knife
[ul]<LI class="third-party-tool no-comments " sizset=“29” sizcache=“0”>[Buzz up!](http://uk.buzz.yahoo.com/buzz?publisherurn=the_guardian665&targetUrl=http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/02/kurt-westergaard-muhammad-cartoon-somali&summary=Danish+police+shot+and+wounded+man+who+broke+into+Kurt+Westergaard’s+home+wielding+axe+and+knife&headline=Somali charged with murder attempt on Muhammad cartoonist |World news |guardian.co.uk)
[li]Digg it[/li][/ul]
[ul]<LI class=byline sizset=“31” sizcache=“0”>[b]David Batty[/b] and agencies <LI class=publication sizset=“32” sizcache=“0”>guardian.co.uk, Saturday 2 January 2010 15.27 GMT
[li]Article history[/li][/ul] Kurt Westergaard sheltered in a safe room with his grandchild as the attacker raged outside. Photograph: Preben Hupfeld/EPA

A Somali man has been charged with trying to murder a Danish artist whose cartoons of the prophet Muhammad sparked a storm of protest and violence across the Muslim world.

Danish police shot and wounded the 28-year-old man after he broke into Kurt Westergaard’s home in Aarhus last night armed with an axe and a knife. The suspect is said to have ties to al-Qaida.

The 75-year-old artist had retreated to a safe room with his five-year-old granddaughter. When police arrived they tried to arrest the intruder and then shot him in the hand and knee when he threatened an officer with the axe, said Preben Nielsen of the Aarhus police.

Chief Superintendent Ole Madsen in Aarhus said the man was charged with two counts of attempted murder – one on Westergaard and one on a police officer – at a court hearing today in Aarhus, Denmark’s second-largest city.

“He will be in custody for four weeks and in isolation for two,” Madsen said.

The suspect’s name was not being released, in line with Danish privacy rules, Nielsen said. His wounds were serious but not life-threatening.

Westergaard was “quite shocked” by the attack but not injured, Nielsen said.

An umbrella organisation for moderate Muslims in Denmark has condemned the attack. “The Danish Muslim Union strongly distances itself from the attack and any kind of extremism that leads to such acts,” it said in a statement.

In 2005 the Jyllands-Posten newspaper published a caricature by Westergaard depicting Muhammad wearing a turban shaped like a bomb with a fuse. Islamic tradition says no image of the prophet should be made or shown. The Danish embassy in Damascus was burned down in 2006, others were attacked and death threats forced Westergaard into hiding.

The Somali had won an asylum case and received a residency permit, said Jakob Scharf, the head of PET, Denmark’s intelligence service. Scharf called the attack “terror related”.

“The arrested man has, according to PET’s information, close relations to the Somali terrorist group al-Shabab and al-Qaida leaders in eastern Africa,” Scharf said. “[The attack] again confirms the terror threat that is directed at Denmark and against the cartoonist Kurt Westergaard in particular.”

Scharf said the man was suspected of involvement in terror-related activities in east Africa and had been under PET’s surveillance but not in connection with Westergaard.

Westergaard told his employer, the Jyllands-Posten newspaper, that the assailant shouted “Revenge!” and “Blood!” as he tried to enter the bathroom where Westergaard and the child had barricaded themselves.

"He threatened to kill me. I ran out to the bathroom where our security room is. I was worried for my grandchild. I was afraid.

“I knew that I could not match him. So I alerted the police. It was scary. It was really close. But we did it. It was good … my grandchild did fine.”

Westergaard was moved to a safe place last night but was unable to say what the attempted attack would mean for his future. “It is too early to say. I must speak with PET and then we will see,” he said.

In October terror charges were brought against two Chicago men who planned to kill Westergaard and his newspaper’s former cultural editor.

In 2008 Danish police arrested two Tunisian men suspected of plotting to kill Westergaard. Neither suspect was prosecuted. One was deported and the other was released on Monday after an immigration board rejected PET’s efforts to expel him from Denmark.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/02/kurt-westergaard-muhammad-cartoon-somali

A very good example of Islam attacking Europes backyard, or should I say frontyard ?

More an example of a religious fanatic attacking someone who threatens their world-view.