The M14, Not Much For Fighting ( A Case Against The M14 Legend ) 2015/01/30 Shawn

Eh, I’m not sure it’s so minor. I haven’t heard of many Vietnam era Special Forces units holding onto their M-14’s nor solely using one form of ANY rifle. Many were armed with a hodgepodge of guns from what I have read, including Swedish sub machine-guns, CAR-15’s, M-16’s, and AK’s. I find it a bit difficult to believe an “A-team” carried only M-14’s. Especially since it was the “Green Beret’s” that initially tested and favored the AR-15 in the early days of the conflict - one of the main reasons the Army began equipping infantry units with the rifle…

I had meant the mistaken use of Kar Vs. Car. An easy enough mistake to make. It did not include any of the M-14 issues.

I understand, just saying overall the gist of the posting has a couple minor red flags…

Well, I did 2 tours with SF in VN.
3 tours and even more are not unheard of. Some back to back, others with time in between at Ft Bragg or elsewhere.
I know personally guys with 5 years there total.
Regular B Teams in general did not have combat missions. Each was an admin and logistical center for 4 A Teams, which were out in isolated camps.
Mike Force was organized at a seperate B Team level and they probably saw more combat on a continuous level than anyone over there.
There were also the Special Project guys but they were generally OPCON to MACV.
I spent 16 months in a border A Camp with Cambodian and Montagnard CIDG.
We kept an operation in the field at all times, but only 2 US guys per mission. The rest were the locals we advised.
The whole team did not take to the woods at once.
There were lots of variations over time and a lot of things are possible.
Especially in SF. I woud advise you basement detractors to be cautious in your assessments.
Some of the guys statements sound a bit odd, but things changed so much from time to time in VN, it’s hard if not impossible to say. Especially if you were not there on that day.
I never heard of loaded mags being issued, but can’t say it never happened.
I could envision certain situations where that might well have been true.
I go to the SF conventions and reunions-5th Group is having a 55th year celebration this month.
It’s good being around that type of people again once in a while.
I recall a funny thing a few years ago. We were discussing war stories and one old timer remarked that when you do tell one, they think you are lying.
SF is a lot different from other units beause of a high level of individuality and responsibility.
Not to detract anyones service, but I see this a lot among my many veteran friends and associates.
It took a lot to get into SF and a lot more to be able to function, perform, and remain in SF.
“If it was easy, everybody could do it.”
Seen more than one guy headed down the walk bags in hand after being terminated or kicked out for one reason or another.