The place I live.

Thanks GermanSoldier,

Yes, we have some retired Hoosiers down here - like my dad. He grew up on a farm between Elkhart and South Bend, Indiana. I was born there also. We moved to Houston, Texas when I was two. But I have lived here in Jacksonville, Florida since the mid 1980’s. We do have a great variety of palm trees here. My favorite is the feather palm. :slight_smile:

porta westfalica (2000 year old a roman name, it means “the door to western falica” due to the gap in the mountains you can see in the background), in the northwest of germany, in the state nordrhein-westfalen.

this is my house in summer 2006, so you can see, we live in a quite quiet place.

jens

George Eller I would have to agree with you on your favorite Palm Tree. Flammpanzer you have a wonderful home. By any chance do you farm on that land. There is much land in Indiana that looks like that, but the people that own it love to farm on it. TRUST ME! Yes it does look like a very quite place to live. Very Nice!

this is my house in summer 2006, so you can see, we live in a quite quiet place.

jens

Very nice home and very healty wheat too :smiley:

Hi Flammpanzer,

Nice pic of your home near Porta Westfalica. It looks quite serene. I visited Germany briefly in 1999, the year before that photo was taken. It was further south though, in the Pfalz (Palatinate) just west of Ludwigshafen and Mannheim. Mostly around the towns of Bad Durkheim, Wachenheim and Ellerstadt. The train ride along the Rhein River was quite scenic also.

Top map shows location of Porta Westfalica (green arrow - top center) southwest of Hannover.
Bottom map shows location of Bad Durkheim (green arrow - bottom center) southwest of Mannheim.

Map showing Porta Westfalica close up with Hannover to the northeast.

Top map shows location of Bad Durkheim, Wachenheim and Ellerstadt - bracketed by small red squares to the southwest of Ludwigshafen / Mannheim.
Bottom map shows the same, but close up.

Schedule and some train tickets from Den Haag Central Station, Netherlands to Ellerstadt, Germany (west of Rhein river in the Pfalz (Palatinate).

CONTINUED BELOW

CONTINUED FROM ABOVE

Post cards of Bad Durkheim and Ludwigshafen.

Some photos that I took in Bad Durkheim 26 March 1999.

Bad Durkheim is located in a wine producing region of low rolling hills. I took these photos of a restaurant in Bad Durkheim which claims to be the world’s largest wine barrel. The sign reads - Inhalt: 1,700,000 Liters (Capacity: 448,549 gallons). It was said that the building was constructed with the same materials and techniques as used in the making of wine barrels. Photo taken 26 March 1999.

Some more photos that I took in Bad Durkheim 26 March 1999.

PS: If you’re ever near the main train station Hbf in Ludwigshafen, I recommend Miller’s American Style Pizza (located in the station). We had a great conversation with the owner, Gerd Muller. He explained to us that most of the small towns in that region were spared from much damage during World War II as they were not that important militarily. The old town hall in Ellerstadt dated to the early 1700’s and was still standing (although no longer in use).

thanks guys for reply. the area where I live is indeed nice, but we have also some areas that are not so attractive. interesting to hear that indiana looks quite similar.:smiley:

I visited the states in 1992 and in 1998, also canada (the west/vancouver) in 1996 and in 1992. in the us, we saw mostly the states in the south/south-west like california, nevada, utah, washington, arizona and some others. I have also seen new york and washington d.c. later, which I also loved very much. I often hear that americans like germany very much (not ONLY because of the beer), but I can tell you there are also a lot places in the US where I could imagine to live.

jens

Thank you for visiting the US. Right now me and my family are trying to decide on a place for vacation during the summer. They thank we should go to California, Mexico, or Canada. I am trying to convince them to go to Germany. My dad went to Germany once, but it was because he was in the US Army. So he stayed in Germany, then when time to fight he went to Iraq.

I think Germany would be an awesome place to go. I was wondering if they had any common World War 2 Equipment you could fine. My Great Great Grandma was from Germany. I did not get to meet her. I have cousins that live in Germany. Haven’t really know them real well. Hopefully I will one day.

germany has a lot to offer, I am sure. if you are interested in good military-museums you MUST visit the Panzermuseum in Munster. it is a big collection of tanks and AVF, in the north of germany. there are a lot of other nice museums, like the wehrtechnische museum f.e.

you have the chance to make nice summer holidays on the east- or northsea. germany also has some (smaller) islands. if you like mountains, the ALPS will fit your needs. bigger cities like hamburg, munich and berlin are must-go, compared to US distances, germany is not too big and this all would be possible in 2 weeks.

jens

Thank you for giving me that information. Sounds like a great country to visit. Yeah Germany isn’t that big. I could start at the top of Indiana around Michigan Lake and drive past Kentucky. That is about how long Germany is. I heard it is not a big place at all. The only reason the U.S. has so much land because we took it from the natives. We also do not have as much neighbors as you that wanted land for there countrys in the past. No worrys. If I go to Germany I am going to wright down some Museums in Germany. Hopefully I get to go.

A Great Country…Germany!

My town is twinned with Minden. Spent some time there a few decades ago.
As I recall the gap in the mountains is known as the ‘Minden Gap’. Quite a strategic site as it’s the only place in miles which will allow armour to pass easily through the mountains. Interesting statue of the Kaiser, somewhere around there. Overlooking the entrance to the gap, by the river Wesser, I think?..and a night spot known as the Buttrfly Club. :wink:

I would love to see Germany and see all the old battle ground plus Germany has some beautiful women LOL

I have on my bookshelf, a copy of Red Army, a novel by Ralph Peters published in 1989. It describes a contempary war in which the Red Army invades the West. It is entirely from the Red Army perspective, with all of the characters being Russian soldiers. Much of the book focusses on the assault towards the Minden Gap and the neighbouring towns. Remains a good read.