U.S. Pistol M1911A1 .45cal ACP

http://oi54.tinypic.com/24vjp51.jpg

Color often brings out the reality of the scene. I wish these troopers were wearing their brimmed campaign hats instead of their garrison caps. It would be easier to confirm their cavalry status if I saw yellow cords on top of their brims. I think the M1910 web gear for rifle cartridges and the holsters hanging on them confirm that though. The European influenced leg putties make me think that the photograph was made in France or elsewhere overseas. Usually, American troops photographed in the U.S. were still wearing the stiff cotton canvas leggings that used hooks and cords. Thanks again for the color version.

You’re welcome,I’m more than expert in the german military clothes,but I try to search the right colors to this nice photo

I’ve read that about half of the US “Doughboys” were issued “American Enfields” and that Sgt. York actually used one of these rifles and not a Springfield.

That is certainly true. There were 2.39 million Model 1917 service rifles build by Eddiestone Arsenal, Remington UMC and Winchester Repeating Arms in less than two years of production. They were manufactured after U.S. Ordnance Department revisions were made to the Pattern 1914 machine tools that had earlier produced 1.5 million Pattern 14s for the British. The British contracts had just been filled and the machinery was still in place and idle when the U.S. entered into the Great War. The revisions included changing the caliber from .303 British to .30-06, different sights and changes to the bolt head. They were easier and faster to mass produce than the M1903 Springfield service rifle and almost as accurate at extended ranges. Their numbers in the field outnumbered M1903 service rifles by a margin of more than 3 to 2.

When World War I ended, M1917 production ended too. It was decided by the Army to continue M1903 production. The huge inventories of M1917s were used to fill National Guard armories with 200,000 used to arm the Philippine Scouts. Many saw service in World War II.

True they were issued 1917s far more than '03s, and York used a 1911A1 and not the ‘Luger’ as shown in the show. They used the Luger cause they could get it to funcion with blanks, but couldn’t get a 1911 at that time to function with them.

Deaf

Thanks, Deaf Smith. I love stuff like why they used the “Luger”.

i love the 1911, my favorite pistol ever, i like it better than a 9mm but im sol since the military uses berettas and spec ops pretty much only use .45s oh well

When you are old enough, you could always buy one for yourself, and shoot when you like. 21 isnt that far off. (that is assuming that you are not a nutter, or incarcerated, or otherwise unqualified to possess a firearm.)

Here’s my Colt 45 1911 A1 builded by COLT’S MFG.Co - Hartford CT in 1943.

COLT 1911 A1 001.jpg

COLT 1911 A1 002.jpg

COLT 1911 A1 003.jpg