Uncovered American Tank

Stuarts are a bit hard to come by, Shermans are plentiful by comparison. Any Stuart that is worth the trouble to restore will be valuable, and sought after. This one has been in the ground a long time, and that coupled with whatever damage it took beforehand will determine its fate. If the(or any) turret can be found, that will help. But it will make a good static display regardless, just needs a bath, and some paint.

Tonnes of paint. Maybe new outside accessories too…

is anyone restoring it

Dunno, haven’t kept up with the project.

TG
I know of a Stuart M3 A1(?) not far from where I am, about an hour’s drive. The vehicle is in running order. The only serious lack, of course, is an ability to fire the main weapon, or have it so as to represent the process of doing so.
I’d rate the vehicle as 97% intact, in automotive terms.

Regards, Uyraell.

I’m surprised that no one has tried to buy it, There are not alot of them extant, as they are smaller, and more easily handled than a Sherman, or other type tank. Among the monied collectors, they are popular. Running examples are less frequently found in the militaries of the world these days, small countries might have some left over machines, and be willing to sell them in order to get something newer, or fatten the budget a bit, but those are few and far between.
The dug up may end up in the town square, or in some nearby display, even if its missing pieces, and a turret, some paint, and effort, will make it a part of the local history.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?p=109145#post109145
This is from the Admiral Nimitz Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, TX.
There are a couple of pictures in this thread of an M5 Stuart that actually runs and is used in demonstrations. They (the museum) have actually purchased an M4 Sherman from Israel since these pictures were taken and have it for demonstrations also.

that tank is in need of restoration

If it’s in the U.S., just bore the barrel out to smooth bore and I think you can make it a shotgun (ATF regs say anything above .500 dia. must be registered if it’s a rifle or pistol.)

37mm would be, what, 2 bore? 1 bore? And if the barrel is choaked, it would make a real good punt gun. Noisy to drive up to the lake, but still a heck of a punt gun.

Deaf