Unusual german small arms and infantry weapons of world war ii.

The Einstossflammenwerfer 46 that was inspired by a request from the airborne troops. It was a one-shot disposable weapon to be utilized by assault groups. The FmW 46 was a tube with a length of 60cm and a diameter of 7cm; it fired a fire burst that lasted for 0.5 sec. to a range of up to 30m. the complete weapon weighed 3.6 kg and proved to be very effective and popular, a total number of 30,700 was produced in late 1944 and early 1945, they were supposedly used in the defense of Berlin

At the time the Nazis would use anything they could get there hands on.

Whoa, that was actually a decent weapon. Just looks like a toy. Some of these weapons I’ve never heard of or seen. Really nice!

I disagree about the stick grenade. You lob the grenade rather than throwing it. I bet a baseball pitcher would be able to hit a window from 50 meters with a regular grenade than with a stick grenade.

Lets think about that for a moment; two comments that pop straight into my head are:

1. Not every soldier is a “baseball pitcher”
  2. To throw a grenade like a “baseball pitcher” the soldier has to stand up and expose himself.

I think he is saying if a baseball pitcher pitched one he would hit a window from 50 meters.

And I’m pointing out what a useless example that is. The American army actually designed a grenade shaped like a baseball with the idea that “every American male” would be able to throw it.

The problem is that throwing a ball in a field is a damn sight different from throwing a grenade on a battle field. In the time it takes to line up a throw through a window you have exposed yourself to return fire from those in the room you are trying to blow up.

Grenades are ment to be lobbed, up and over the object you are hiding behind and over the object the enemy is hiding behind.

No, he is saying mabye not in combat but only for test or fun.

???

Maybe we should see if SS Ouche-Vittes replies before continuing with such speculation.

In that case it is even more of a pointless comparison.

The grenades of the German style, were (and are) quite easy to throw.

Try throwing a stick for a dog. Similar priciple.

They were also lighter than similar allied greades, certainly the Mills bomb.

Another Luftfaust picture (with ammo) and another favourite the bent Stg 44.

stg44c.jpg

How about grenades to fire from your flare gun, there was even an anti tank one.

walthergranaatpistole.jpg

Wurfgranate03.jpg

Let’s not forget that other armies were equipped with stick grenades too, the russians for example…and the japanese IIRC.

Well, i meant to say that it’s easier to throw it like a ball than with a handle. I might be wrong, I might just make a stick grenade and an American nade to test. I say that cause the throwing motion for a ball-like grenade is more effective. Shoot me down plz.

A stick grenade can be thrown MUCH further than a non-stick grenade. It is basic physics, as told by Sir Isaac (deceased).

The principle was amply demonstrated by the idiotic discovery channel show “weaponology”.

I’d like to get back on ptimm’s attachement of the Stg 44 with “Krummlauf” (buckled barrel) for I think it was kinda unique. Rapid fire was not possible though and the barrel had to be changed after 300 rounds (instead of the 10000 rounds with a common straight barrel).

This is probably the J-version with 30 or 45 degree deflection, there was even a P-version with 90 degree deflection.

also the bent barrel would cause the bullet to heat up and spread giving it the effect of a shotgun blast

More info info on the Sturmpistole and the grenades/ammunitions for it:

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5233

Well, tests with the “Krummlauf” showed that a field of 35cm x 35cm was easily hit from a distance of 100 meters.

…talking of the StG 44: let’s not forget the version with the infrared sight ZF 1229 “Vampir”:

The infrared sight had a weight of 2,3kg, the backpack with the battery 13kg