"Vengeance at Dachau" (U.S. Soldiers nearly massacred concentration camp guards)

Fair enough.

Apology accepted.

BUMP! Pertinent to several discussions in the Photo side…

Best post in the whole thread.

Originally Posted by Cpt_Prahl
I’ll site a story told to me by a certain sargent from the regiment on this subject during an interview with him and his squad in 2005.

“see we had just come upon a fixed position manned by some hitler youth and an SS Officer we gave them the chance to surrender first before firing a shot they didn’t take the offer so after the little bastards fired every round fired every panzer fasust and grenade they came out of the the position yelling Nicht Shootzen kameraten nicht shootzen” I looked at the Lt and asked what do we do? He didnt say a word he just gave the slash across the throat and we killed every single one of them on the spot."

right or wrong this is what they did, I would have too under the circomestances do you want a bunch of fanatics runnning around germany after the end of the war? people who were so obviously so brainwashed that given the chance to surrender when completley outnumbered they would blindly follow the orders given to them when anyone in their right mind would surrender? or that they would fire all of their ammo and then surrender?

also rember that Pattons standing orders were that “any German caught doing an act of agression and then surrendering was to be shot on the spot” IE the mentality being if your going to surrender do it before not after doing a deed of agression…

I have severe problems with this part of the quote.

By this reckoning the US defenders of Bastogne could have been shot if they finally surrendered, after all they were offered the chance and never took it despite being outnumbered.

If you were in a good defensive position would you surrender, if you held out for as long as you could (munitions expended), then with no chance of escape or resupply you surrendered . You would be happy to be shot because you could have surrendered before fighting.

Pattons quote is difficult to support as the whole of WW2 was aggression. When the Germans invaded Poland the shooting war started, it never stopped until 1945 in Europe so any German taken prisoner before VE Day was to be shot on the spot.

I think I missed these points the last time around (I haven’t trawled back through every post).

1. I don’t think that ‘schootzen’ is German for ‘shooting’, although perhaps it could sound like that to non-Germans. Perhaps FTG could comment.

2. If murdering soldiers who surrender after fighting to their limit is a commendable or at least permissible action by the victor, Cpt Prahl must be terminally dismayed by the vastly magnamimous leniency showed to the surrendering Americans and Filipinos on the Bataan Death March where most survived instead of all being murdered where they surrendered after fighting to their limit, and by the Japanese allowing those captured in Singapore to work on the Burma Railway and sending some of the survivors to Japan to work in the coalmines etc instead of wiping them all out where they stood after the surrender.

3. What some people, like me, think of as the commendably pugnacious ‘never say die’ attitude of the likes of Chesty Puller is, according to Cpt Prahl, obviously the murder-deserving attitude of brainwashed fanatics who should be exterminated if they dare to fight to their limit before surrendering. These deplorably fanatically brainwashed attitudes are exemplified by quotes such as these, or along the lines of, attributed to Chesty Puller:
    “We’ve been looking for the enemy for some time now. We’ve finally found him. We’re surrounded. That simplifies the problem of killing these people.”
    “We have enemy in front of us; behind us; to our left; and to our right. The bastards won’t get away this time!”

It can be a fine line between accepting a surrender at section or platoon level and finishing off a determined but exhausted opponent in the heat of the moment, and it all depends upon the circumstances, but murdering soldiers just because they have fought to their limit before surrendering is not condoned by the laws of war or basic principles of humanity.

Originally Posted by Cpt_Prahl

also rember that Pattons standing orders were that “any German caught doing an act of agression and then surrendering was to be shot on the spot” IE the mentality being if your going to surrender do it before not after doing a deed of agression…

Cpt. Prahl is long gone, but I don’t recall Patton saying anything like this and he is obviously paraphrasing in his then tyical omniscient voice…

I will be faster than FTG :slight_smile:

“schootzen” indeed does not come really close to the German word for shooting, it is “schießen/schiessen”. However “Schützen” (the closest English transcription I can think of is indeed something like schootzen) is either “to protect” or the plural of rifleman (riflemen).

The following was from a speech by Gen. Patton, but it should be noted that he was quoted (and perhaps paraphrased) by officers present and not by stenographer. From his Wiki page:

When we land against the enemy, don’t forget to hit him and hit him hard. When we meet the enemy we will kill him. We will show him no mercy. He has killed thousands of your comrades and he must die. If you company officers in leading your men against the enemy find him shooting at you and when you get within two hundred yards of him he wishes to surrender – oh no! That bastard will die! You will kill him. Stick him between the third and fourth ribs. You will tell your men that. They must have the killer instinct. Tell them to stick him. Stick him in the liver. We will get the name of killers and killers are immortal. When word reaches him that he is being faced by a killer battalion he will fight less. We must build up that name as killers.

— George S. Patton[26]

Patton, known for florid exaggerations and superfluousness, was clearly talking about killing within the context of combat, the heat-of-the-moment and not accepting surrenders during the fight (something which often happened anyways, as adrenaline filled soldiers often continue to fire on those that might be attempting to quit during the battle). He clearly isn’t talking about summary execution of disarmed combatants under guard…

Combat is not nearly as clear cut and definitve as some insist on viewing it.
Best appreciated through actual experience.
The Cambodian irregulars I worked with killed any Viet who even attempted to give up.
We could not interfere.

My dad, 506th PIR, took part in liberating some camps.
He wrote that they took no SS prisoners after that.
War was soon over, but he had a dim view of Germans the rest of his life.

If you haven’t been in a war, been shot at, spent month or years living like an animal, watched your friends die brutal deaths and grown accustomed to violence, brutality and bloodshed, then you’re probably not qualified to judge what these men did.

My great uncle who also liberated camps told of a similar story - after seeing what the Germans did, Patton made some kind of speech telling the soldiers to take no prisoners. I wasn’t sure how much credit to give to this story - I heard it more than 60 years after it happened and my great uncle’s mind wasn’t so great at the time…until I saw the exact same story in this book: http://books.google.com/books?id=ir2Z_oK5Ui4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=gi+jews&hl=en&sa=X&ei=n6EwT-G0Cqf20gGNuc3iBw&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=take a prisoner&f=false (check out page 229).

I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about the Dachau issue…It’s very important to keep the context and mindset of the soldiers in mind when discussing things like this. These are guys who were in continuous combat for almost a full year by this point. They’ve seen and been through horrible things and they were probably still very angry over things like the Malmedy massacre. It wasn’t a planned or calculated act - from my understanding, it was done by a minority of soldiers. By this point, human life probably meant little to them and seeing Dachau was probably the final “breaking point” for those soldiers.