Walther War Machines big book of Soldier Knowledge

But don’t forget that Ironman is allowed to make up his own definitions for existing terminology! If he wants to call a compressor a “fan”, that’s more valid than you wanting to use the correct terminology!

Just like he re-defined the term “assault rifle” to mean a rifle used in an attack, and made up the term “defensive rifle” in a military context, whereas it’s a relatively recently coined term, used more-or-less informally as politically-correct term for a rifle intended for use by civilians for self-defence: e.g. the “farnam defensive rifle”.

I think you mean he re-defined either “assult rifle” or “assualt rifle”.

He has never mentioned an assault rifle.

:smiley:

No doubt. It’s outdated.

Beyond the range max effective range of the weapon, like the silly 600m you claim is how AR’s are used today :lol:

Dingbat.

MORON!

Prove it. I didn’t make the claim. So prove it.

Prove it.[/quote]

What will it take to prove this to you? Please tell us all so that we can be astonished at the pearls of nutcaseness that drop from your mouth.

I think your brain has finally broken down. You have descended into madness.

Was it the nasty things I said about your “daddy”? I still contend that you have been sexually abused in the past and that this is the root of your profound and prolific mental problems.

Time and time again you ( IRON Man) have been told by those that are both serving and ex military that section fire is standared at 600’m. Your response as a person who has never picked up a rifle in defence of your country should be " thank you I did’nt know that" rather than refering to the COD hand book. You are starting to look a complete tosser please please please stop now. Oh and I believe you would’nt know a Gurkha, their motivation or operational usage if they jumped up and bit you on the arrse.

Which is why it, and its long variants, are used by:

US
Canada
Holland
Denmark
Israel
UK SF
& many other countries.

Many of these countries also use the carbine versions for support troops, vehicle crews, etc.

If it’s outdated, what’s it been replaced by?

And so are the following other long assault rifles outdated?

G36 (brand spanking new - carbine version is G36k)
FN FNC
Galil/R4
Steyr AUG
etc etc etc

Where have you got the idea that armies have been replacing their long ARs with carbines? Just cos you see a few M4s kicking around hanging off US troops in Iraq?

And time and time again your utter ignorance allows you to believe that you can convince me that modern armies use AR’s at 600m for anything. You have fallen off a turnip truck my boy.

You’ll figure it out.

You’ll figure it out.[/quote]

It’s certainly not been replaced by the M4, which you appear to think

It’s certainly not been replaced by the M4, which you appear to think[/quote]

You’ll figure it out.

It’s certainly not been replaced by the M4, which you appear to think[/quote]

It’s not the XM-8, cos that’s a prototype.

And it’s certainly not the M1 carbine :lol: :lol: :lol:

[/quote]

I didn’t say that, but it holds true for you. You have been proved wrong time and time again. You are wrong, deal with it.

[/quote]

I didn’t say that, but it holds true for you. You have been proved wrong time and time again. You are wrong, deal with it.[/quote]
:lol:[/quote]

What a well reasoned and logical answer.

The US is using a a variety of weapons - M16A2s, M16A4s, M4, M4A1s, MP5N, M14, M249, M24, M40A3, M82A3.

From now on, you will be doing your own research kiddo.

You said that the M16 was being replaced.

I know damn well what variety of wpns are being used, you said it was being replaced. It is not.

Sorry, must correct myself. You said it was outdated and therefore not an assault rifle!!!

But isn’t it being used in assaults (that’s your definition, isn’t it?) in Iraq & Afghanistan?

I’ve been lurking here for some time now, and I’ve been moved to contribute because of constant, seemingly wilful misunderstandings on the subject of jet engines. For all the good it will do me, I’m throwing my weight in with many other members of this forum, including two with Master’s Degrees in Engineering from Oxbridge. To this I add my own experience, which is currently three weeks short of an MEng of my own, in Aeronautical Engineering, with a dissertation on Gas Turbine performance.

To avoid misunderstandings:
By ‘Jet Engine’ I refer to the incarnation of the Open Cycle Gas Turbine in which thrust is generated by the expulsion of gas from the engine, due to momentum and pressure considerations.

I risk repeating what has been said before, but I want to be sure that there is no room at all for misunderstanding (you see the theme here).
There are two distinct forms that the open cycle aero gas turbine takes - the turbofan and the turbojet. The turbojet consists of an intake, a compressor (possibly multi-stage), a combustor, a turbine (again, possibly multistage) and an exhaust nozzle. The turbofan has all these stages, except that there is a fan between the intake and the first compressor stage. In the context of the gas turbine, this is what a ‘fan’ is. Thus, a turbofan has a fan, whilst a turbojet does not.

The nature of the fan is also different to that of a compressor. A compressor compresses air which will pass through the combustor, raising its temperature and pressure (at the risk of adding confusion, up to 25% by mass of this air will be drawn from the high pressure combustor to be used for cooling of the HP turbine stage). A fan will compress all the air that enters the engine, not all of which will progress to the compressor / combustor / turbine, but will instead bypass them, providing thrust only by virtue of the work done on it by the fan. This is why turbofans are also called ‘bypass engines’. On a large Civil engine, up to about 90% by mass of the flow will bypass the core.

It is true to say that a part of the compressor can also be called a ‘compressor fan’, but this would never be referred to as a ‘fan’ without the qualifying ‘compressor’ term, and is unusual terminology when referring to overall cycle aspects, as the discussions on this forum are. I feel I can say ‘unusual’, as I have heard it used no more than once in a reputable academic or industrial context, despite having read in excess of 200 journal articles and textbooks on the Gas Turbine in the past nine months. Thus, it is perverse to use ‘fan’ to mean ‘compressor fan’ in the context of the previous discussions in this forum, as it is not a fan as is understood in this context, any more than ‘gas’ in the American automotive sense can be thought of as referring to butane.

In summary:
No fan: turbojet.
Fan: turbofan.

Please can we have no more of this silliness so we can spend more time arguing about why playing Call of Duty gives more insight into modern warfare than actually fighting in real wars.