What weapons do you like or dislike?

Basically, you made your original comment up.

The record, by the way, was made in 1913 and was 38 rounds in a minute, all of which being hits at 300 yards.

The Fairbairn-Sykes commando fighting knife looked the business, done the business.
The worst weapon(s) are the Japanese Type 94 and Nambu pistols.

no i didn’t i said that the soldiers din’t like id. i didn’t say i believed it did i?
38? in a minute at 300 yards? nice effective gun. wat was the rpm of the garand? 60?

BUT THE SOLDIERS DID LIKE IT, you provided no source for your claim (unsurprisingly, because it is incorrect), hence you MADE IT UP.

Please engage brain before engaging keyboard.

i like the m1 and the m3 grease gun

i personnely like the m1 garand and thompson.my favourite pistol is the m1911

SMLE lee-enfield

“Their sword will become our plow, and from the tears of war the daily bread of future generations will grow.”
Adolf Hitler

Feldwebel1942

The picture that you have posted is a Lee-Metford MkII, the precursor of the Lee-Enfield No1 MkIII AKA SMLE ( Short Magazine Lee-Enfield )

Lee-Enfield Mk.1 rifle - the original “Long” Lee-Enfield, made in 1900

feldwebel1942

I stand corrected.

not having a dimple under the magazine cutoff plate handle & the safety catch on the cocking piece of the bolt should have given me a clue.Though the quote underneath the picture denotes it wrongly as a SMLE.

The 30-06 m! Garand and the B.A.R the best weapons in my mind.

I like these:
http://www.littlegun.be/curios%20et%20antiquites/a%20a%20images%20curios%20et%20antiquites%20gb.htm

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe most machine guns of WWII had optical sights - certainly the medium versions of MG 34 and 42 did - and so did the Schwarloze and at least some of the Maxim guns. I am reasonably confident the Hotchkiss did as well. Then there were some LMGs with sights as well – the Japanese Types 96 and 99 come to mind immediately; I dare say there might be more, but I can’t think of any at the moment.

IIRC the Japanese weapons could be mounted on a tripod, and that might have some bearing on why they had a scope. But plenty of other LMGs could also be mounted on tripods: the Bren, MG 30, etc. Even a BAR was used on a tripod at times (by the Belgians: don’t know about the USA).

Regarding shotguns: in the ETO, they were mostly used by guards. However, they saw much more combat usage in the Pacific: with pump action, they were devastating close combat weapons, described as having “a hit probability 45% greater than a submachine gun, and twice as great as an assault rifle” (the quote is from a Wikipedi page, so I know the quote is NOT “good as gold,” but the statement jives with my memory of other descriptions). Shotguns and M9A1 Bazookas were assigned to “bunker busters” to deal with Japanese jungle bunkers. I also recall reading one instance were the USMC scrounged up a large number of shotguns, and went into action against the Japanese were some high figure - maybe 25% or even 50% - of the soldiers were armed with shotguns. I am trying to recall more details, search the Internet, etc for specifics, but so far, have come up dry. I’ll post more if/when I find them… I would also think they would be good for urban fighting in the ETO, but if they were used in such a manner, I haven’t come across reference to it…

So far as favorite weapons, I’d probably nominate the “Ma duece” as a crew weapon (hey, with its longevity, the .50 cal has to have done something right). For a personal weapon, the Danuvia 39.M or 43.M machine pistol – the first has a wooden stock, the second a folding stock, but basically the same weapon. It has the longest barrel of any machine pistol, with arguably the greatest accuracy (sights were up to 400 m, IIRC), it could mount a bayonet, and the magazine could fold out of the way when not in use. It’s also a weapon few are aware of! It was a excellent weapon, sometimes described as a transitional weapon between MPs and assault rifles. It was the “standard” MP of the Hungarian army, by rather few were produced, so other weapons were in fact more common in the MKH, IIRC. Most were lost on the eastern front. If you want to know more, looky here:

http://www.sunblest.net/gun/Danu39.htm :slight_smile:

As for least favorite weapon – I’d vote for the Chachaut LMG, a left over from WWI used by a variety of nations (mostly by 2nd line troops). It is a gun that users either loved or hated, but the consensus today is that it is a thoroughly vile weapon: poorly made, subject to jamming, etc.

I haven’t heard much in regards to shotguns and Marines in the Pacific during WWII, but I think it has been said that a very high proportion of Marines would carry the BAR almost as if it were an automatic (assault) rifle rather than a light machine-gun role it typically was placed in…

Yes, by the end of the war, the USMC had three BARs assigned per squad, and from what I’ve read, the BAR was a preferred “pick up” weapon as well.

Just learn from my mistake.
Put proof up. Put proof up and they wont argue with you;)

I like this little weapon that makes a rude belching noise…

Shpagin_PPSh_41.jpg

…and the idea of a 71-round magazine for an smg is very impressive as well!

It’s very difficult to say that one likes something which is basically designed to knock large chunks out of a human body. However, I think it is possible to appreciate the design sensibility that goes into such a device, & it is also possible to admire a weapon as a physical thing… a tactile object which has it’s own inherent beauty (if we chose to set aside for a moment it’s core perpose).

So, I admire (as things of beauty) the British Lee/Enfield SMLE rifle, & the M1 Garand. Both of which look attractive. Mostly because of the craftmanship which goes into making that wooden furniture, & the precision mechanism.

As for appreciating the simplistic/utilitarian design of a weapon, I have to go with the German Stg44, for the forward thinking of producing a weapon which can be used effectively by a largely untrained conscript army (by the end of WW2 mostly boys & old men, if the cliche is to be believed) & still provide massive firepower. The realisation that by using a smaller cartridge, it enables the soldier (or 14 yr old boy) to carry more of the lighter ammunition, & if the injuries metered oput by the smaller bullet are less often fatal more the better… human nature dictates that if one soldier receives a wound, at least one, more likely two, of his comrades will help remove him from the battlefield, so one small bullet has reduced the opposition by three.

Also, the German Panzafaust. Genius at work, a throw away anti tank device, cheap to manufacture, easy to use, & very very effective…

All that said… what would happen if they called a war… & nobody came?

For me its the fairburn sykes fighting knife or in later years the K bar.