What WW2 era firearms have you fired?

One thing that matters as well is not just bullet mass and velocity, but also the cross section, since it determines how much of the bullet’s energy will be dissipated in the target. The fastest bullet will not have much stopping power if it just enters the target and leaves it again still with most of it’s kinetic energy. Hunters like to use soft point or hollow point bullets, which will mushroom inside the target, dramatically increasing the cross section. These bullets are banned for military use due to Geneva convention, like Dumdum bullets, though some modern bullets, which topple inside the targets have a similar effect.

Jan

Yes, the larger area and deformed shape will slow the bullet much more than a FMJ.
Also a larger csa will increase the permanent wound cavity and give a better chance of damaging vital organs, blood vessels, tendons etc.

I find it strange that there is legislation to ensure animals are given a quick death while soldiers must be shot with a rd that will let them bleed out slowly.

While Jan is aware of this, for those that don’t know Dumdum is not a name for any expanding bullet but a particular type produced at the arsenal at Dumdum, India in the 1890s.

When you’re prone your body has less opportunity to ‘roll with the punch,’ so enhancing felt recoil.
What rounds are you using with these wpns ? Not WWII issuse I hope.[/quote]

If by WWII issue you mean 1941-1945, then no. But my ammo was made in 1940 by Turkey, and it’s the stuff that works best for me.

The use of expanding bullets was banned by the Hague convention, not the Geneva convention which IIRC deals mostly with treatment of civilians and POWs.

Also all spitzer shaped bullets will begin to tumble in a body as the stabalisation effect of bullet rotation is lost and the heaver base causes a shift in the center of gravity.

Yes, but the modern Russian 5,45 x 39 round as used in the AK-74 has a movable steel core inside, with a hollow space in front under the jacket, which will move on impact and deliberately cause heavy tumbling.

Jan

Many rounds have a hollow space at the front, not through any desire to cause greater tissue damage but as a result of production techniques.
The 308 heads I use for tgt comps have a tiny hole at the point where the jacket is closed around the lead slug.
Some people have remarked that they thought they were ‘special rds for COIN’ ! :lol:

Also most modern mil heads have penetrators of some sort built in.
(My favourites are definitely the SLAP fifties.)

When you’re prone your body has less opportunity to ‘roll with the punch,’ so enhancing felt recoil.
What rounds are you using with these wpns ? Not WWII issuse I hope.[/quote]

If by WWII issue you mean 1941-1945, then no. But my ammo was made in 1940 by Turkey, and it’s the stuff that works best for me.[/quote]

Your Turkish rds use a mercuric oxide priming compound, which is very corrosive.
Ensure you scrub out the whole wpn immediately you return from the range.

Thanks, I know how to clean my rifle.

I spend half an hour each day for three days cleaning it with solvent and gun lube.

Ok, didn’t realise you were an exspurt.

9 pints of boiling water will clean it.

Recently fired the 6.5mm Mannlicher-Carcarno Carbine from Italy (of kennedy assassination fame).

Sights - awful: fixed, badly proportioned, badly shaped, and coarse
Accuracy - poor, not helped by the sights
Loading system - Mannlicher clips are awkward
Bolt - not enough leverage to easily achieve primary extraction (and this was with handloads - gawd knows how bad it would be with wartime ammo), reciprocating movement sticky, bolt handle poorly positioned
Folding bayonet: laughable
Rate of fire - low. Due to “bolt” category above
Recoil - low and pleasant
Weight - low, so you can throw it a long way away from you.

Overall - perhaps the least servicable military bolt-action rifle I have fired.

Real Live Pictures Of People With WW2 era firearms! Shocking!

2x SMLE (me on the left):

My mate with an MG3 (re-chambered MG42), Garand in background:

Other mate with G43, Gew 33/40 in front, M1 carbine behind:

Garand:

Wife with Mosin-Nagant M44:

Me with Mosin-Nagant M1891/30:

Me with the No.4:

What is currently waiting for me to work out how to import it to Holland without bankrupting myself: “my” Tokarev SVT-40:

And a video of the first 5 rds of a Mad Minute with a No.4 (yes, it’s me) - note the ammo was South African crap with soft primers, so some were pierced, leading to a puff of smoke out the back. And yes, I’ve had the protrusion checked, and it was in fact 40 thou under spec:
Click here to watch DSCN1315

This is what charger-loading looks like:
Click here to watch DSCN1316

I sadly no longer have the No.4 or the Nagants, having moved to a different country with limited numbers of licenced wpns (like hell I’m filling my licence with bolt-actions when I can have pistols and self-loading rifles)…

Stoat thanks for sharing the pictures.

Can I ask where they were taken, and am I right to assume that you are now living in Holland?

Nice looking SVT-40, where is it at present? Germany? I have heard that there is a company there making reproduction SVT-40 snipers, it’d be interesting to see what they look like. How hard will it be to import the rifle?

Also what is the limit on how many firearms you can have on your licence, and do you know if I was to move to Holland how hard would it be to take my collection with me?

Edit:
I’m a bigfan of the SVT-40’s here’s one of mine, you’re gonna love that rifle :smiley:
[/img]

The German MG42 looks awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Bas,

The pictures were taken in the UK and Denmark. The SVT is is the UK with a prohibited wpns dealer.

The limit for a sports shooter in Holland is 5. Collectors can have more, but getting the permit is almost impossible.

Can you PM me the contact details of the dealer in the UK, please and does he have any more?

Cheers