Which country contributed most to the Allied Victory?

32Bravo, as Manuel from “Fawlty Towers” says “I learn english from a book. I know noting.
In my limited understanding of English, expression “to chuck statistics” does not appear to be very positive. Hense my reply regarding relevancy of statistics.

It’s how data is presented, or mis-represented, that matters when using it to back up an opinion. Even then there are always intangibles.

I am sorry, have I mispresented the data or presented it selectivly? If so, please correct me. I want to learn. Seriously.

All in all, do you disagree with my conclusion that the Batle of Balkans as whole (Yugoslavia and Greece) had deleying effect on Barbarossa, not due to losses inflicted to Germans but because the troops (app. 1 million) had to be involved and later moved to Poland, and that Battle of Crete had no tangible effect at all, appart from moderate demoralizing impact?

And why you ignored the combat experience which let the Germans to polish its troops befor the Barbarossa. Do you hear the proverb - “What don’t kill us, It make us stronger”
In Fact before Barbarossa the Germany has a MAXIMUM of morale and combat experience in the world. The failure with Paratroop Corps just teached the Germans do not used this in the East , becouse this lead to big casualites.

Guys i think we are in the wrong way in pity attempts who had a more contribution in the fight against Germany. This is obvious till the end of 1941 there were not any real anti-german coalition. Each state practically alone must fiight against German power. The quick collapse of whole continental Europe to the Hitlers hands proves this point.
So considering some battles of early 1941 like the Battle for Yugoslavia we have to conclude- certainly Hitler needed a some time to beat its enemies separatelly. If we recall he had spend the 6 week due to battle for Crete to daley the Barbarossa, so why we ignored the fact HE NEED the 2 YEARS to defeat and conquered the WHOLE Europe.
Speaking that the battle for Crate saved the USSR from defeat in 1941 is noncense.Becouse the whole Europe could not to stop his agreession - why this must do a litle Grece. Any casualites which the German army hold in the everywhere just rised his excellent experience and polish the germany ability to use the own troops.

The Germmans were stopped near the Moscow only becouse the red army could did it (with help the own soldier who has continie to die in the “giant pockets” of early stage of war.) And also becouse the Japanes didn’t invid the soviet Far East ( this could help to take the Syberian troops for the defence of Moscow).

Cheers.

I’m beginning to sense certain cultural differences in these arguments.

In the UK we are raised believing that the European and Mediterranean theatres were a part of World War Two. Which implies a global war with a collective effort by the Allies in the defeat of Germany? As I understand it, in Russia it is known as the ‘Great Patriotic War’, which seems to imply exclusivity and doesn’t recognize those efforts of other nations, for me, this is reflected, not only in the title of this thread, but also many of the arguments - national pride can serve to unbalance and undermine arguments, and that’s before we even get onto testosterone.

I never did like the title of this thread!

The following is ment in most frendly way!

32Bravo, of course there are cultural differences! It would be a very lame world without them. Lets just cope with it.

If you have spend any time reading this forum and noticed my posts, you should have seen, that my position is that the Victory was acheived in collective effort. Neither of the Allied countries could win against German coalition. But in the joint fight. USSR would not win alone.

But looking back and the given historical events, it is should be obvious (it is to me) that different countries had different roles and impact on Germany. Tell me how is it belittling to admit that your country was not the biggest contributor? If it is true, then what is the problem in admiting it. Please do not sacrifise the objectivness to political correctness.

In my opening post I came up with 3 criterias to derermine the bigest contributor. Since You have not mentioned any objection to them, I assume you agree with them. Thank you!
So if you think there other aspects, that I missed, please bring them up!

Returning to this forum in a slightly different guise after some computer / cyber problems, might I say:

Some of you blokes need a reality check.

Don’t confuse how the war played out in the middle and how it ended up with how it started out. The USA and USSR didn’t start the war opposing the Nazis in any military sense. Their positions helped the Nazis toward victory. After all, they were both trading enthusiastically with the Nazis. As would have elements in Britain who thought that Hitler was the best thing before sliced bread was invented.

The USSR’s biggest contribution to the possibility of an Axis win was its pact with Germany which kept it out of the war for the first couple of years. This enabled Germany to run rampant in the west, south, north, and in the air and on the oceans further afield.

America’s biggest contribution to the possibility of an Axis win was keeping out of the war until it was forced in by Japan’s attack, which really dragged it into an entirely different war and which was the main focus of the American public, and some of the American military leadership such as Admiral King, if not Roosevelt and others who saw America‘s interests served best by victory in Europe in accordance with pre-war strategic evaluations. America, as usual arriving quite late in a world war which to that point had been fought largely by the British Empire, allowed Germany to run rampant etc etc

The British Empire never contributed to an Axis win, except for the pre-war appeasement represented by Chamberlain & Co. The Empire’s biggest contribution to an Allied win was fighting Germany, Italy, and the Vichy French alone for the first couple of years of the war. Nobody else did this. The Empire (primarily Britain with more or less proportionate help from the Canadian and Australian dominions but also great contributions from India and, especially for its size, Nepal and lesser contributions from places like South Africa) , for all its many faults, was the only Ally to be in action from the beginning to the end of the war. Unlike America, it could have avoided the war but went into it on a measure of principle (and the usual national self-interest) rather than being dragged into it by an attack as was America and many European nations.

I recognise that the titanic battles fought in the USSR after mid-1941 and the great contribution of America to the invasion of Europe through Italy and Normandy were greater than the British contribution in the later parts of the land war, but the USSR and America did nothing of any military significance (except in USSR’s case releasing German troops from the eastern front) while Britain fought on alone from 1939 to 1941.

Moreover, Britain alone was fighting Germany and Italy on the land, on the sea, and in the air. I do not ignore the wars in the Balkans etc, but they were not on the same scale nor over the same time. For example, while Greece put up a great fight against the Italians who, as usual, had to be rescued from their over-ambition and profound military incompetence by the Germans, Greece was not fighting a crucial naval war in the Mediterranean and Atlantic, and to a lesser extent in all other oceans as was Britain, nor engaged on land way beyond its borders as was Britain in Norht Africa. Or Greece.

I agree with Bravo 32 that this is a silly topic. It makes about as much sense as arguing which member of a sports team of 11 or 15 or 18 or whatever made the greatest contribution to the winning wicket or goal.

But if anyone wants to debate it, the debate has to be built on the foundations that the British Empire laid while fighting Germany on its own while the other major powers not already defeated by Germany, being the USA and USSR, did little or nothing to assist.

Sure, Lend-Lease was increasingly helpful to Britain as were the increasingly aggressive American Coast Guard / USN actions before America joined the war, but the simple fact is that the British Empire troops fighting the Germans in various raids on the European continent; in North Africa; and the Balkans were not significantly supplied by Lend-Lease nor assisted at all by American or USSR forces but fought with their own resources. If British Imperial forces hadn’t been doing that since 1939, while the rest of Europe caved in and the rest of the world sat on the sidelines, we probably would not have the luxury of being able to debate these issues freely nowadays as we do in this forum.

For those who proclaim the contribution of the USSR (after Stalin finally grasped that the nasty Nazis were actually breaching the non-aggression pact) was the major contribution to Allied victory in WWII, what would have happened if Britain had emulated the USSR’s position and made a non-aggression pact with Germany in late 1939 or early 1940 and released all German forces to attack the USSR? Where would Hitler have struck? Not London!

Personally, and from an Australian point of view where Churchill was quite happy to sacrifice Australia and its forces for Britain’s benefit (as would any national leader do for his own nation), I don’t much care for many aspects of Britain’s selfish and arrogant attitude to and use of Australian forces for its own benefit in WWII. I say this only to demonstrate that I’m not some Anglophile who thinks Britain and it Empire were the best. They wern’t, from my perspective. They were, from the perspective of Churchill and his coterie. But if Britain, with its imperial forces, hadn’t stood alone and staunch for the first couple of years of the war while most other nations crumbled or did deals with Hitler, no other nation would have been able to make a contribution which defeated Hitler.

Using a simple house-building analogy, Britain provided the foundation for the defeat of the Axis powers, regardless of the contribution of other tradesmen who arrived on the site later to complete the structure.

Welcome, the misterious imposter of our noble and beloved Risingsun! :wink:

Some of you blokes need a reality check.

In the old anthem of USSR there were these lines:
[INDENT][INDENT]

[i]Through tempests the sunrays of freedom have cheered us,
Along the new path where great Lenin did lead.
To a righteous cause he raised up the peoples,
Inspired them to labour and valourous deed. [/i]

[/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thank you, dear RisingSun for showing us the light ahead! :wink:

Don’t confuse how the war played out in the middle and how it ended up with how it started out. The USA and USSR didn’t start the war opposing the Nazis in any military sense. Their positions helped the Nazis toward victory. After all, they were both trading enthusiastically with the Nazis. As would have elements in Britain who thought that Hitler was the best thing before sliced bread was invented.
I agree. Either USA and USSR were forced to join war by the circomstances. Both were trying to avoid war, especially USSR after summer 1939. UK was outsmarted in this department.

The USSR’s biggest contribution to the possibility of an Axis win was its pact with Germany which kept it out of the war for the first couple of years. This enabled Germany to run rampant in the west, south, north, and in the air and on the oceans further afield.
Not the pact itself. Non agression pact is a common thing. Poland had one with Germany too. The trade with Germany - yes, helped mutualy to Germany and USSR.

America’s biggest contribution to the possibility of an Axis win was keeping out of the war until it was forced in by Japan’s attack, which really dragged it into an entirely different war and which was the main focus of the American public, and some of the American military leadership such as Admiral King, if not Roosevelt and others who saw America‘s interests served best by victory in Europe in accordance with pre-war strategic evaluations. America, as usual arriving quite late in a world war which to that point had been fought largely by the British Empire, allowed Germany to run rampant etc etc
I guess I agree. But, my friend, you accidently forgot, that the war at that point had been fought largely by USSR, which was under attack by 3.6 million strong army.

The British Empire never contributed to an Axis win, except for the pre-war appeasement represented by Chamberlain & Co.
Using your analogy, Britain built the foundation of the possible German victory. By the way, when you write “Chamberlain & Co”, it sounds to me like you are trying to say that it was not UK as such that did it, but one person with few friends. This is wrong, IMHO. Chamberlain & Co WAS Britain itself!

The Empire’s biggest contribution to an Allied win was fighting Germany, Italy, and the Vichy French alone for the first couple of years of the war. Nobody else did this. The Empire (primarily Britain with more or less proportionate help from the Canadian and Australian dominions but also great contributions from India and, especially for its size, Nepal and lesser contributions from places like South Africa) , for all its many faults, was the only Ally to be in action from the beginning to the end of the war. Unlike America, it could have avoided the war but went into it on a measure of principle (and the usual national self-interest) rather than being dragged into it by an attack as was America and many European nations.
That is right, neither USSR nor USA were involved in the fight.
But I disagree, that UK could avoid the war. This would mean giving away power and control to Germany. Soomething that the mighty Empier that just defeated Germany 20 years ago could not do. This would mean given it all without fight. It is of course easier to give away other countries, like Checkoslovakia, without resistance, but not the homeland. This was not possible! Hense inevitability of the war.

I recognise that the titanic battles fought in the USSR after mid-1941 and the great contribution of America to the invasion of Europe through Italy and Normandy were greater than the British contribution in the later parts of the land war, but the USSR and America did nothing of any military significance (except in USSR’s case releasing German troops from the eastern front) while Britain fought on alone from 1939 to 1941.
Agree. That is actually what Chevan meant by sayng , that UK was isolated. He ment the 2 remaining powers, USA and USSR , were a bit cold towards UK.

Moreover, Britain alone was fighting Germany and Italy on the land, on the sea, and in the air. I do not ignore the wars in the Balkans etc, but they were not on the same scale nor over the same time. For example, while Greece put up a great fight against the Italians who, as usual, had to be rescued from their over-ambition and profound military incompetence by the Germans, Greece was not fighting a crucial naval war in the Mediterranean and Atlantic, and to a lesser extent in all other oceans as was Britain, nor engaged on land way beyond its borders as was Britain in Norht Africa. Or Greece.
I guess in general I agree again.

I agree with Bravo 32 that this is a silly topic. It makes about as much sense as arguing which member of a sports team of 11 or 15 or 18 or whatever made the greatest contribution to the winning wicket or goal.
Silly topic would be “What influence did the German millitary marches from WW2 had on Britney Spears music style.” That is nutty!
Regarding the sport team analogy… tell it to all the newspapers and fans having the score lists of the different players.

But if anyone wants to debate it, the debate has to be built on the foundations that the British Empire laid while fighting Germany on its own while the other major powers not already defeated by Germany, being the USA and USSR, did little or nothing to assist.
I agree, UK laid the foundation of the Germsany’s defeat. If Britain have had colapsed (signed peace treaty), then USSR’s defeat would be very realistic ideed.

Sure, Lend-Lease was increasingly helpful to Britain as were the increasingly aggressive American Coast Guard / USN actions before America joined the war, but the simple fact is that the British Empire troops fighting the Germans in various raids on the European continent; in North Africa; and the Balkans were not significantly supplied by Lend-Lease nor assisted at all by American or USSR forces but fought with their own resources. If British Imperial forces hadn’t been doing that since 1939, while the rest of Europe caved in and the rest of the world sat on the sidelines, we probably would not have the luxury of being able to debate these issues freely nowadays as we do in this forum.
In general agree. Except that after the fall of France, UK troops were not fighting Germans until Battle of Greece in April 1941. North Africa was more important, because UK had to defend Mediterranian sea and Suez channel in order to keep the feasible connection to the colonies ans other Commonwealth countries.

For those who proclaim the contribution of the USSR (after Stalin finally grasped that the nasty Nazis were actually breaching the non-aggression pact) was the major contribution to Allied victory in WWII, what would have happened if Britain had emulated the USSR’s position and made a non-aggression pact with Germany in late 1939 or early 1940 and released all German forces to attack the USSR? Where would Hitler have struck? Not London!
This isactually a rather childish paragraph. Sorry… Just try to swap the Britain with USSR and USSR with Britain in your statement. So where would have Hitler stuck? Probably Ireland. As I said, USSR most likely would fall if UK was on German side.

Using a simple house-building analogy, Britain provided the foundation for the defeat of the Axis powers, regardless of the contribution of other tradesmen who arrived on the site later to complete the structure.
This is a great analogy! Britain provided the foundation alone (with help from Commonwealth).
So the qustion now, who built most (70%) of the remaining 150 floor and 500 mters hight tower?

My humble conclusion: Simplifying a bit, UK was fighting alone from June 1940 until June 1941. But the only thing it did was to protect vitality of its own Empier (and who can blame them!). Nothing what UK did could alone lead to the final defeat of Germany, i.e. the foundation is paramount, but is nothing without the house on top.
I think that UK acheived the most important (and the only one it could) task - stay alive and do not get to sign humiliating peace treaty with Germany. And it was done!

N.B: Just got a thought… USSR outsmarted UK and menaged to to avoid the blow in 1939. Obviously Churchill was furious about it. This could explain why he was dragging the opening of the real Western front later. I know that many would disagree with me, but maybe it should be in another thread then. Not here.

I think it did somewhat more than that. It stopped the German expansion to the North and South (with a mixture of the RN and Atlantic Ocean stopping expansion West) leaving an attack against Russia as the only remaining option. The RN also managed to maintain command of the sea, cutting off Germany from overseas resources while enabling the UK to continue to access them. Both of these are fundamentally very important achievements - command of the sea especially. While they did not defeat Germany by themselves, they ensured that Germany could not ultimately win - at best it would have to accept stalemate with the UK.

In terms of warmaking potential, the UK was a rather distant fourth behind the US, USSR and Germany. Hence, it is no surprise that the US and USSR contributed far more to the defeat of Germany. The UK’s role is puffed up on this forum and elsewhere due to the fact it is an English-speaking forum - thus containing more people who are exposed to English-language history books, and because the UK & Empire were effectively alone for a period of the war and so have a disproportionately large place in the histories.

The USSR was the biggest and busiest tradesman on the site after the foundations were laid.

The USSR faced the best German troops and air forces, and by far the largest number of them, from mid-1941. Many, perhaps most, of the German troops faced by Britain and America in Normandy were of inferior quality to those who fought on the Eastern Front. If the USSR had not mauled the German land and air forces up to mid-1944 and held the bulk of German forces against it, Britain and America probably could not have got ashore successfully in Normandy if only 10% of the German forces initially committed to the Eastern Front had been on the Western Front.

Of equal but often forgotten importance is the USSR holding large Japanese forces against it througout the war. But for Japan’s need to provide troops against the possibility of an attack by the USSR, the land war against Japan would have been very different if those troops could have been diverted to the CBI, South East Asian, or SWPA theatres. Guadalcanal and Papua, and especially Burma with implications for China, could have turned out differently so far as land forces were concerned, which would have altered the course of the war although probably just delaying rather than altering the eventual result so far as the English-speaking Allies were concerned. The invasion of Australia would have been possible so far as the necessary land forces were concerned, although this doesn’t get around Japan’s shipping and fuel problems in getting and keeping them there. Still, the USSR made a huge contribution to the war against Japan for the whole war without firing a shot at Japanese troops until almost the end of the war.

On the other hand, the Americans won the war against Japan on land, sea and air in the POA. America won in the SWPA, with substantial help from Australia in the critical period in 1942 by laying the foundations for the the win in that theatre. Britain won in Burma, with help from the Chinese nationalists and the Americans.

Off the building sites where the war was being waged, the US was by far the biggest and busiest manufacturer, supplier and carrier of building supplies, building and transporting stuff all over the planet and increasingly making the biggest naval and air contributions to the war in all theatres from 1942 onwards, while Britain’s naval contribution in the Atlantic and Mediterranean throughout the war exceeded America’s in those theatres. Britain also made a major air contribution in Europe and the Mediterranean throughout the war.

Britain stayed on the building site from start to finish, but once the big boys arrived its contribution, though immense in national terms, was dwarfed by America’s and the USSR’s.

Back to the sporting analogy, all the players on the Allied team kicked goals or at least contributed directly to goals by other players. If all of the star players, being in alphabetical order Britain, USSR, and USA hadn’t been on the team it would have lost spectacularly, and it might have lost with just one of them missing from the periods during which they played. So we get back to the problem that while it’s possible to identify contributions by all the players, it’s impossible to attribute victory to any one of them. It’s common in sports to hold the player who scores the final goal as the one who scored the ‘winning goal’. But unless it’s the only goal in the match, it’s no more the winning goal than all the others that went before it, and the player who scores the ‘winning goal’ in the final couldn’t have done it without all the work by all the other players in all the games that got them into the final.

Some of you blokes need a reality check

I wonder how we can survive without you. :roll:

Oh we have the double of Rising Sun is here? :wink:

Here we should stop .
Telling us about the USSR&USA contrubution into the victory of Axis in the early ages of WW2 you forgot some interesting events.
Now let us more carefully study the so called “pre-war appeasement” of the Britain to the Hitler. Chamberlian&Co not simply presented the Germany the territory- He presented them the Hight Industlial Chechoslovakia with all Chech wearpon ( May be you don’t know 20 from the 150 German division which invided the USSR in june 1941were armed by the CHECH WEARPON). But more importain present for Hitler were the Hight tech the Chech plants ( for instance Me-262 were produced in Chechoslovakia).After the cupturing the Chechoslovakia the German war industry INCREACED TWICE (!!!). And this is was the British initiative to get the Hitler what he want in 1938.

The Empire’s biggest contribution to an Allied win was fighting Germany, Italy, and the Vichy French alone for the first couple of years of the war. Nobody else did this.

Oh yea …
But we all know HOW was it in REALITY.
Firstly Britain was responsible for the full and quick collapse of Poland ( Naive poles thought the Britain helped them being its allies). Then the stupid company in the France which let the Germany new territories, recources, plants and manpower.
The British-German war was a losed by Britain practically full. The Germany occuped whole Europe. But that is more importaint THE GERMAN"S ARMY GET ENOURMOUS COMBAT EXPERIENCE fighting with weak allies troops ( under Britis command) in thet two years.
After the sucsessful combats of 1939-1941 the German had a most porfessional (and hight motivated ) army in the world - the direct resault of British “contribution” till the 1941.

Well lets imagine what could be if the Britain signed the pact with Nazi in 1939;)
Firstly are you sure the France and Poland shoud also signed this pact? I/m not.
Hence after the betrayal the Britain of its allies both Poland and France would be forced to search the war alliance with Stalin. And he certainly was ready to give the garanties ( on the certain condition). After this if the when the Germany would attack the Poland the 1.5 million polish army was joined to the 4 million of Soviet ( USSR NEVER betrayed its allies unlike the Britain).
In this case the Germany could face the hard USSR-Poland-France alnti-german war alliance which COULD STOP the geram agression in the most early period. And i/m asolutly sure that non-experienced German army (in 1939) was not able to captured the Poland( i/m not saing about USSR therritories) - thus the USSR could save its great economic and war potential and coudl lead the war without any lend lise.
So this is what could be in Europe if the Briitain was tthe freiend of Nazy.
Then let’s look to the Far East. After German-British pact (i/e/ British Impire collaps ) the greed Japanes begin the attack to the British colonies. This is touching the interests of USA . Thus the USA finaly should join to the USSR in the war agains Germany , Japane and Britain. Moreover they will make everyting to isolate the Britain from its colonies ( to prevent suppliesto the German allies) and as we know the British islands without supplies - is the zero.
In this way the perspective of Germans were the worst. Becouse wihtout occuped territories of Polan,France and USSR they has no enough resources to lead the war.
Even the Romania with its oil field of Ploeshty could joined to the France but not to the Germany.
Thus this war could ended in the 1941-42 by full defeat of Britain-Germany-Japane-Italy Axis.
If the Britain signed the pact with Germany in 1939 - they signed its sentence.

But this is just only one version of what could be :wink:
This way of history could not save the East Europe from the Communism , but this way could prevent the 6 years Nazy henocide in occuped territories and saved a million of people.

Cheers.

I appear to have missed reading one of your posts when posting my last.

No need to soothe me when arguing. The enamel on my teeth has worn thin and the hide on my back has grown very thick. I don’t take your comments as a personal attack, we don’t know each other, we haven’t been introduced.

I was agog that you would lecture me on multi-culturalism and then, practically in the same breath, accuse me of political correctness. However, a chum has explained your meaning to me, as he sees it, which seems reasonable, so I’ll put that one down to experience (which means forget it, it isn’t worth pursuing).

Never was a fan of Fawlty Towers, but you might consider it a mark of my respect for your English (which I believe you know is better than you would admit to), that I use that style of speak (chuck/throw, about/around)…it has impact.

The logic of your arguments is (in my opinion) based on the statistical data that you are able to collect to support it. There doesn’t seem, to me at any rate, to be any room for the intangibles that can have a huge affect on military operations. It seems as if you are using the data as a truncheon to bludgeon others into submision. Almost as if your truncheon is bigger than their truncheon. Which leaves me feeling somewhat as jaded as ‘the prisoner at the bar’.

It isn’t belittling to admit that my country played no small part in removing the evil of Nazi Germany from the world.

What I do object to is having any country’s efforts discarded as being, at best, ineffectual.

Do I consider Crete to have had an overall tangible effect on the Nazi ability to drive into the East?..in isolation, NO!
Do I consider that the battle for Crete as a part of the wider action of the Balcans Campaign played a part in delaying Operation Bararossa…yes!

There are so many factors which come into play in these battles and campaigns, one should not attempt to isolate one area or event from the whole.

The mud? Would the Nazis have considered the mud in 1941? Probably not.
Well, would it have been quite so muddy so early in the campaign, before the constant wear and tear of an Army’s logistical supply system had reduced the routes. I have no doubt that the thawing of the winter snows would always have created mud on those routes. To what extent would it have delayed the Nazis? I don’t honestly know. One thing is for certain, it wasn’t there when Barbarossa got underway. presumably it had dried out. So if it had been encountered by an earlier launch of the operation, presumably it would already be in the process of drying out, and the tracks would have been in better condition that early in the campaign?
Would it have taken the edge off the surprise? Maybe.
Would it have made a difference? I have my doubts.

As for your three criteria for discussion. I would argue that you floored those three points to limit the discussion to what you believed favoured your argument in promoting the Soviet contribution and your data would support.
Or perhaps I am confusing ‘biggest’ with ‘greatest’?

Righto, here’s more detail on why I think Britain’s 1939-41 contribution was a lot more important than just the size of forces it employed and tied up.

My point is that Britain fought Germany alone from 1939 until the USSR came in in mid-1941 and America came in progressively during 1942, and that Britain’s effort was the foundation for victory against all Axis forces. My opponents challenge this on the basis that Britain wasn’t doing much in Europe during that period and that the forces employed on both sides in the Mediterranean, North Africa, and Middle East (for convenience “the Med”) were fairly small compared with those employed later on the Eastern and Western Fronts. That’s true, but it ignores the real effect of what Britain achieved in the Med, which was of profound strategic value to the eventual defeat of Germany and, to a lesser extent, Japan.

A note before starting. Long wars since at least the American Civil War in the 1860’s aren’t won primarily by fighting troops. They’re won with the sinews of war on farms and in mines and factories and by the ability to transport supplies and by access to fuel and transport to move and sustain the fighting troops. For convenience I’ll call this LOC (“lines of communication”) which I’ll use loosely in both that wide sense and its narrower military meaning.

In general terms if Britain, including its imperial forces, hadn’t fought in the Med:

1. Italy would have controlled North Africa without Germany needing to send forces to rescue it.

2. These German forces would have been available for Barbarossa and, more importantly, the LOC would not have been diverted to North Africa but available for Barbarossa. The numerical impact of the extra forces was not huge, although still very worthwhile, but the avoidance of LOC problems to N. Africa would have been a much greater contribution to Barbarossa.

3. Italy would not have lost huge forces in N. Africa. In fact, it would not even have had to deploy many of them and would have avoided substantial LOC problems. These forces and shorter LOC would have been available for the invasion of Greece so that Italy, for a change, might have won something on its own without Germany having to rescue it. If so (I know it’s a big “if” where Italy is concerned) Germany would not have had to divert forces to rescue Italy in Greece in May 1941.

4. Germany would have been able to start Barbarossa three to six weeks earlier, as originally planned, rather than having to go into Greece to rescue the Italians. That extra three to six weeks would have made a very useful difference to Germany in being further advanced into the USSR before the winter stalled its advance. It would also have had much better LOC as they were not diverted to the Med, Greece, etc.

5. Axis naval forces would not have been deployed in the Med to any extent except for a small blockade to guard the Straits of Gibraltar against the risk of a British sally, and a similar precautionary blockade at the Dardanelles. The Axis naval forces released, including the substantial Italian and Vichy French naval forces, would have been available to tighten the Atlantic noose around Britain. This would have put Britain in a much worse position.

6. Germany would have had access to the Iranian oilfields while denying them to the British, which would have altered the capability of the RN in particular.

7. The Italian front could not have been opened in mid-1943 with the Allies excluded from the Med. The Italians would not have surrendered. Germany would not have been forced to send forces into Italy to, yet again, protect itself from the consequences of its Italian ally surrendering wholesale. Those Italian and German forces would have been available for employment elsewhere, notably the Eastern Front as nothing much was happening on land anywhere else in Europe. Whether the USSR could have coped with its huge number of Italian prisoners is a different issue. :smiley:

8. The political reality is that, despite American grand strategy decisions before the war started being that it was in America’s interests to support Britain against Germany, the dominant isolationist mood in America would not have looked favourably upon supporting a Britain which was not fighting anywhere or, worse, had been more or less defeated and had retreated to its island defence. As it was, it was hard enough for the pro-British elements in America to get support for American involvement in the European war even after Pearl Harbor. The recognition in America, ably promoted by government propaganda, that plucky Britain had been fighting the Nazis alone for a couple of years while the rest of Europe collapsed was a significant factor in overcoming the negative attitudes to the European war. Nobody wants to support a quitter. Everybody wants to support the game underdog that fights a bigger foe in a just fight.

The consequences of Britain not fighting in the Med didn’t end there. If Britain had abandoned the Med it would have released much larger German, Italian, and Vichy French naval forces to concentrate around its homeland than actually confronted it in 1939-41. This would certainly have entailed the retention of RN forces which in reality were sent out to the Far East and elsewhere, and quite possibly would have entailed the recall of some of the naval, and perhaps land and more probably air, forces in the Far East.

Meanwhile the LOC issues for the Far East become impossible. Britain is more or less blockaded by German, Italian, and Vichy French naval forces while the Americans aren’t likely to be too keen on a Lend-Lease program for a loser. Britain can survive as a garrison but it can’t supply its far-flung forces. There is no prospect that, for example, it can manage the fleet train (LOC for a fleet which requires fuel, munitions, spares, food, medical supplies, etc etc which requires a lot of cargo ships to supply just one warship, which becomes difficult when a lot of the ships leaving Britain are being sunk by the blockading forces). Britain’s problems are compounded by local problems such as the independence movement in India, which will gain pace when it is sensed that Britain is at best neutered by Germany and at worst defeated.

There is a distinct risk that Burma will fall after Japan attacks, which threatens an unstable India which cannot be protected by Britain and which has elements seeking independence from Britain. In addition to cutting off the Burma Road, Japan may prevent LOC to supply China, while American air transport cannot be positioned to fly over The Hump. This may lead to Japanese victory in China, thus releasing Japanese forces for employment in the SWPA and POA.

Or the Japanese forces released by the defeat of the Chinese Nationalists are now released to confront the USSR, which is also confronting much stronger German forces in its west for the same reason that Japan is confronting it in the south east: because Britain didn’t fight for the first couple of years of the war.

I’m still of the view that anyone who thinks that Britain’s actions to mid-1941 aren’t important, and probably the most important actions in the whole war because they laid the foundations for Allied victory, needs a reality check.

And this is coming from someone who thinks that in some respects his own country was treated very shabbily by Britain in WWII, to the extent that Britain was prepared to sacrifice us to save itself (although that’s just what we or any other country would do in the same circumstances, so I’m not bent out of shape about it). And blamed us for losing Malaya, for which all credit is really due to Britain, and notably Churchill. The troops there lost it because they were the victims of political incompetence (is there nothing new in war!) as much as military problems. But that’s another thread.

No, just the original. Panzerknackers couldn’t handle two of us. :slight_smile:

Now let us more carefully study the so called “pre-war appeasement” of the Britain to the Hitler. Chamberlian&Co not simply presented the Germany the territory- He presented them the Hight Industlial Chechoslovakia with all Chech wearpon ( May be you don’t know 20 from the 150 German division which invided the USSR in june 1941were armed by the CHECH WEARPON). But more importain present for Hitler were the Hight tech the Chech plants ( for instance Me-262 were produced in Chechoslovakia).After the cupturing the Chechoslovakia the German war industry INCREACED TWICE (!!!). And this is was the British initiative to get the Hitler what he want in 1938.

I think the Germans might have made the odd rifle, artillery piece and aeroplane before they went into Czechoslovakia, and all in breach of the treaty at the time. As for the Me-262, it wasn’t a war winning weapon; the Czechs didn’t develop it; and it’s hardly Chamberlain’s fault that it was made in Czechoslavakia years after he proclaimed ‘peace in our time’.

But don’t take this as meaning that I think Chamberlain didn’t make a big mistake in appeasing Hitler.

Then again, Henry Ford and other luminaries were sucking up to Hitler and supporting his odious policies, along with a lot of influential people in the English-speaking world and notably in Britain. Unlike them, Chamberlain was at least trying to avert war.

Firstly Britain was responsible for the full and quick collapse of Poland ( Naive poles thought the Britain helped them being its allies).

German forces rushing across Poland had rather more to do with Poland’s defeat. How did Poland think Britain was going to get there, given the slight obstacle that Germany was between England and Poland and presumably not sympathetic to allowing British troops to cross Germany to get to Poland behind German troops to fight for Poland?

Then the stupid company in the France which let the Germany new territories, recources, plants and manpower.

The French did the best they could. They weren’t fighting to lose their homeland.

The British-German war was a losed by Britain practically full. The Germany occuped whole Europe.

It’s not Britain’s fault that various European nations were defeated, and in some cases defeated even with the extra troops provided by Britain. It is, however, to Britain’s credit that none of these nations would have been liberated from the Nazis if Britain had not fought rather better and much longer than the rest of Europe, apart from Germany, managed to do. And with more honour. Britain had no Ost Battalions, despite having thousands of POW’s in German hands.

But that is more importaint THE GERMAN"S ARMY GET ENOURMOUS COMBAT EXPERIENCE fighting with weak allies troops ( under Britis command) in thet two years.

You don’t get enormous combat experience fighting weak troops. Germany got some very good combat experience fighting British troops under British command, because they fought good troops. Read about the Australians at Tobruk, who were the first to stop Germany’s advance in WWII, and Rommel’s opinion of them. When Hitler was pressing Rommel to defeat them and said something disparaging along the lines of them being merely colonial troops, Rommel replied along the lines that they were not colonial troops but Australians and that if Rommel had two divisions of them he would conquer the world for Hitler. Check out the campaigns. There were some audacious, brilliant and successful actions by the purely British forces which rivalled Rommel’s successes. The Germans weren’t invincible, and this only became clear in North Africa.

Well lets imagine what could be if the Britain signed the pact with Nazi in 1939
Firstly are you sure the France and Poland shoud also signed this pact? I/m not.
Hence after the betrayal the Britain of its allies both Poland and France would be forced to search the war alliance with Stalin.

My opinions haven’t gone into that level of alternate history. Given the views expressed in this and the related Holding Off thread I’ve just assumed that Britain didn’t do any of the fighting it actually did in the first couple of years of the war, because that is what has been dismissed in various posts as not important to the war. I’ve just been assuming that Britain doesn’t fight on land anywhere outside Britain and devotes its navy to its island defence.

If you want to introduce a surrender or pact, things get a lot worse, especially if the British surrender or pact is with Japan as one of the Tri-Partite powers under the pact signed in September 1940. Britain is then rendered useless in all theatres and Japan simply marches in unopposed in Burma and Malaya, and India, as it did in Indo-China after the French surrender. China is stuffed as it’s lost Allied support to the Nationalists from the south, which releases an awful lot of Japanese troops for deployment against the USSR or in the Asia / Pacific region.

If Japan had any brains, which it didn’t or it wouldn’t have started a fight it couldn’t win as Admiral Yamamoto wisely pointed out before it embarked on its fatal course, it would have limited its attacks to Burma, Malaya and the NEI, thus giving it all the resources and areas for expansion that it needed without fatally antagonising the USA and possibly avoiding bringing the USA into the war. The ABDA agreement wouldn’t have existed or, even if it did, the USA might well have decided that it didn’t need to get involved in wars in colonial countries to fight off the latest colonial entrepreneur. China and control of the Pacific for strategic reasons were America’s main interests and they might have been preserved while Japan got stuck into the European colonies for which America had little sympathy.

And he certainly was ready to give the garanties ( on the certain condition). After this if the when the Germany would attack the Poland the 1.5 million polish army was joined to the 4 million of Soviet ( USSR NEVER betrayed its allies unlike the Britain).

If Poland had an army of 1.5 million and lost, it’s hardly Britain’s fault.

It appears the Soviets did not play the greatest role in defeating the German air force. Most of the German air force was diverted to other theatres and it was ultimitely defeated by the western allies.

Air superiority is very important in determining control on the ground and the presence of more German soldiers would not allow them to control the battlefield with the allies controlling the air. German ground forces would be annihilated by aerial assaults.

Hi,
so what was the portion of Luftwaffe destroyed on eastern front?

How do people see things playing out if the reich observes its non-aggression pact and does not attack the USSR?

I’ll try to look up some figures. I’ll look at Black Cross, Red Star and a few other books I checked out and see if I can find anything.

Please! NOT here. We can barely manage this topic.

Thanks in advance.

to Cojimar1945:

Cojimar, I actually more or less know the answer already, but want you to come up with numbers. Sorry for being a sly fox. :slight_smile:

to Rising Sun*:
You are so good writing long posts… I can barely keep the pace… give me a little time to answer.

OK :slight_smile:
Well Rising Sun i know you like to write the whole pages of your posts. This is wery excellent, but here in the forum its not esy to read your post and understand your oppinion correctly sometimes. If you please could you to use more short way of explainning of you thinking;) Becouse here we don’t read your book “My explanation of WW2”, bud discuss of the thread. Sorry if something is wrong, i hope your understand me

I think the Germans might have made the odd rifle, artillery piece and aeroplane before they went into Czechoslovakia, and all in breach of the treaty at the time. As for the Me-262, it wasn’t a war winning weapon; the Czechs didn’t develop it; and it’s hardly Chamberlain’s fault that it was made in Czechoslavakia years after he proclaimed ‘peace in our time’.

Certainly the Germans had a enough much of industry power before the annexion of Chechoslovakia. But though the Chech high industial plants which was able to produse the most hight tech Germany wearpon like Me-262 ( was it a winning wearpon or not is another thread). Moreover the whole mountain of wearpon and ammunition of former Chech army got in Germans hands - this is fact.

But don’t take this as meaning that I think Chamberlain didn’t make a big mistake in appeasing Hitler.

Then again, Henry Ford and other luminaries were sucking up to Hitler and supporting his odious policies, along with a lot of influential people in the English-speaking world and notably in Britain. Unlike them, Chamberlain was at least trying to avert war.

Yea i know about Ford , but what reason to tell about Ford if inside Britain simular people were too. Do yop know who was the lord Londonderry and how he was “sucking up” for Hitler? :wink:
In fact in every state there were own Nazy coloborationists or “fifth -column” ( espesially in continental Europe)

German forces rushing across Poland had rather more to do with Poland’s defeat. How did Poland think Britain was going to get there, given the slight obstacle that Germany was between England and Poland and presumably not sympathetic to allowing British troops to cross Germany to get to Poland behind German troops to fight for Poland?

There was the Britain-France-Poland agreement which guarantied the Poland the help in case of German invasion(The question “how they could did it” is not importaint now)
.According this treaty the France-Britain troops were obligated to entered in the combat DURING 10 day from the attack to the Poland. Poles fought till the 17 september. Both Franches and Briotains nothing did…

The French did the best they could. They weren’t fighting to lose their homeland.

But the British troops also fought with them ( moreover the the fault of planning of defence were in the responsibility of Britains also).

It’s not Britain’s fault that various European nations were defeated, and in some cases defeated even with the extra troops provided by Britain. It is, however, to Britain’s credit that none of these nations would have been liberated from the Nazis if Britain had not fought rather better and much longer than the rest of Europe, apart from Germany, managed to do. And with more honour. Britain had no Ost Battalions, despite having thousands of POW’s in German hands.

Indeed it was the direct influence the pre-war British politic to the 1940-41 period of co called " triumph ivading of Nazicm to the Europe" when the whole states like Norvay or Holland were occuped by Germans for funny time from one day to some weeks.
Tere were no doubts the brithis soldiers were the bold and desperative but the British politicans were not

You don’t get enormous combat experience fighting weak troops. Germany got some very good combat experience fighting British troops under British command, because they fought good troops. Read about the Australians at Tobruk, who were the first to stop Germany’s advance in WWII, and Rommel’s opinion of them. When Hitler was pressing Rommel to defeat them and said something disparaging along the lines of them being merely colonial troops, Rommel replied along the lines that they were not colonial troops but Australians and that if Rommel had two divisions of them he would conquer the world for Hitler. Check out the campaigns. There were some audacious, brilliant and successful actions by the purely British forces which rivalled Rommel’s successes. The Germans weren’t invincible, and this only became clear in North Africa.

Well OK they were not the weak , but weaker then the Germans - is so better
I heared about Australians in Afruca but please look to the thing more widely. If the Hitler worried about N.Africa terthe- would he began the new Great company in the East if he thought as you say in Africa he was defeated. Would he sende the 80% of germas Army to the East if the Africa was so inportaint for him?
This simple fact just proved the N/Africa was the secpndary front for him. And noome Australians or British could not able to stop him in 1941.

If you want to introduce a surrender or pact, things get a lot worse, especially if the British surrender or pact is with Japan as one of the Tri-Partite powers under the pact signed in September 1940. Britain is then rendered useless in all theatres and Japan simply marches in unopposed in Burma and Malaya, and India, as it did in Indo-China after the French surrender. China is stuffed as it’s lost Allied support to the Nationalists from the south, which releases an awful lot of Japanese troops for deployment against the USSR or in the Asia / Pacific region.

Well i have to agree the “alternative version of history” is just demagogy, but you’ve begin first the fantasies when suggested to surrendered the Britain in 1939;)
So do you agree if the Britain was out of war in 1939 in the Europe the France and poland will forced to join to the USSR. Thus the perspectives of Germans indeed could decreased befor the fase of Franche -Poland-USSR alliance.

If Japan had any brains, which it didn’t or it wouldn’t have started a fight it couldn’t win as Admiral Yamamoto wisely pointed out before it embarked on its fatal course, it would have limited its attacks to Burma, Malaya and the NEI, thus giving it all the resources and areas for expansion that it needed without fatally antagonising the USA and possibly avoiding bringing the USA into the war. The ABDA agreement wouldn’t have existed or, even if it did, the USA might well have decided that it didn’t need to get involved in wars in colonial countries to fight off the latest colonial entrepreneur. China and control of the Pacific for strategic reasons were America’s main interests and they might have been preserved while Japan got stuck into the European colonies for which America had little sympathy.

If USA had a little sympaties for European colonies but this is not stop them to fight for the British and France coloniesin 1944-45 ? They fight against the Japane the germans ally. So i don’t see the reason why they should not to fight agains Britain ( if they was the Germans ally too)

If Poland had an army of 1.5 million and lost, it’s hardly Britain’s fault.

Soory my mistake , sure the 1 million Polish Army could not defeated the 1.6 million Germans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Poland_(1939)
Germany had a significant numerical advantage over the Polish, and had developed a significant military prior to the conflict. The Heer (Army) had some 2,400 tanks organized into six panzer divisions, utilizing a new operational doctrine. It held that these divisions should act in coordination with other elements of the military, punching holes in the enemy line and isolating selected enemy units which would be encircled and destroyed. This would be repeated and followed up by less mobile mechanized infantry and foot soldiers. The Luftwaffe (Air Force) provided both tactical and strategic air power, particularly dive bombers that attacked and disrupted the enemy’s supply and communications lines. Together the new operational methods were nicknamed blitzkrieg (lightning war), but historians generally hold that German operations during the campaign were conservative, owing more to traditional methods. The strategy of the Wehrmacht (Armed Forces) was more in line with Vernichtungsgedanken, or a focus on envelopment to create pockets in broad-front annihilation.

But one of the main reason of qick polish defeat was the wrong tactic of defence which based on allies ( french-Britain) actions.

Cheers.