Which Rifle? MOSIN-NAGANT, ENFIELD, M1 GARAND, K98, G43?

[quote]Bladensburg wrote:

[quote]Cuts wrote:
What’s the capbadge in the 1956 photograph ?

It looks suspiciously like an RM capbadge. IIRC they still provide sniper training for parts of the Army, don’t know whether they did back then.[/quote]

That’s what I thought, but I could discern no other devices to confirm this.

There is always an RM prescence amongst the instrs in the Spec Wpns Wg at Dering Bks.[/quote]

Guys, the photo was courtesy of Malcolm Fox. Reference is made to him on page 275 of the book, quoted as follows:

“Malcolm Fox, in receipt of a letter in 1953 requesting him to join Her Majesties Armed Forces as a conscript, opted to join the Royal Marines, and as an enthusiastic shot in his school army cadet force; volunteered for a sniping course at Browndown in Hampshire. Issued with that old workhorse, the Enfield No.4 (T), he successfully completed his training before being sent to Cyprus with 40 Commando where he spent his days in a hot camouflaged hide observing the activities of the Greek-Cypriot community, who were supplying EOKA rebels living in the hills.”

Why didn’t you tell us that in the first place, eh? Rather than make us squint at our monitors trying to spot other RM insignia… :lol: :roll:

I know, old George was a little slow on the uptake :wink:

I’ll take this beauty.

Scoped Mosin-Nagant.

Hayha did not use a scope…is that true…? :?

Mosin-Nagant M91/30 sniper-rifle with 3.5 power PU telescopic sight

Yeah, did not use a scoped Nagan.
But still more kills than the ones with a scope :stuck_out_tongue:
He didnt take a scoped rifle from the russians even tho he could’ce, but he was used to the non-scoped one and he liked how his head could be a little lower than with a scoped one.

Amazing marksmanship … :shock:

And the scope on the Nagant sniper variant could be sighted in much faster than the German K98 sniper version’s scope.

The History Channel had an excellent “Battlefield Detectives” episode on Stalingrad recently…

And it was typical TV crap. They didn’t even use the correct tools or technique to sight in the Mauser.

Besides what difference does that actually make to a sniper? It’s not like he’ll be sighting his rifle in on the front line.

I’d take the Ross rifle Mk I before it was modifyed. It was an excellent sniper, the later versions were junk scine the production was rushed.

What, the one that was never used in combat and had that silly controlled-platform loading system?

:roll: A perfect example of the Bisley school of thought…

It was not used in WW1 ? :?

Ross Mk II

The origins of the Ross rifle lie in the late-1890s patents of the noble Canadian Sir Charles Ross, who developed his own pattern of the straight pull rifles, broadly based on Austrian Mannlicher M1890 / 1895 system. British and Canadian forces tested Ross rifles circa 1900-1901.

No, the Ross Mk. III (M1910) was, and it was absolutely kak. Long, heavy, complicated, and exceptionally prone to jamming due to dirt.

Concerning the Mk. I Ross:

And in any case, the Mk.II (M1905) also had that silly magazine system, and was also not used in combat – as far as I’m aware.

Regarding Canadian Snipers and the Ross Rifle

From: “Out of Nowhere: A History of the Military Sniper”, by Martin Pegler,Osprey, 2004, (pp 134-139) and “Small Arms of the World”, by Edward Clinton Ezell, Stackpole Books, 1977, (pp 196-197)

No, the Ross Mk. III (M1910) was, and it was absolutely kak. Long, heavy, complicated, and exceptionally prone to jamming due to dirt

All right thanks for the info.

Nice gallery of pics George, the Ross always look as a good desing to me. 8)