WHICH SMG? PPSH-41, THOMPSON, MP40, OR STEN?

Contrary to popular belief, the Thompson [i]does not[/i] have bad recoil or muzzle climb. The length and weight of the gun help compensate for it, and there’s even less if you have the Cutts compensator on it.

I’d probably go for the MP-40 with the Thompson a a close 2nd due to ascendencey of stopping power of the .45 ACP over the 9mm. 200 rounds of 9 mm weighs a tad less too. Everything you gotta strap on drags you down. We could carry about double the number of 5.56 rounds than Charlie could for the same weight. I do not consider high cyclic rate a benifit on full auto as it only allows untrained shooters to burn through more ammo.

None of the SMGs mentioned have bad recoil or muzzle climb. Even the PPSh.

Stoat, I can’t remember what dry firing the thompson was like, but I personally feel that the MP-40 and PPSh-41 are about on par for bolt weight.

I know that none of them have bad recoil, but still people will say that they do have bad recoil and muzzle climb. That’s why I’m saying it

I cannot say for certain if you have fired any of the wpns mentioned Erwin, though I doubt it, however I know that I have.

One can compare any folding metal butt against a wooden one as to sleeping in a real bed contra a camp cot - yes it can be done but not as comfortably.

For controllability under full-auto the Thompson will ALWAYS win. It’s heavier than a heavy thing and even a raw recruit would have no problems keeping the impacts on tgt.
A bugger to carry around with you mind.

Bas, the PPSh and MP40 are similar but the heft of the red wpn makes the bolt weight shift feel less.
Besides, we’re only talking SMGs here so anyone with experience of rifle or intermediate rds on R&R will have no problem with their alleged climb.

I’m going to have to pull them out of the cupboard and have a go… Been a while since I’ve dry fired either of mine. The MP-40 bolt weight is less than the PPSh, but its got that heafty telescoping firing pin/spring to compensate.

As for Thompson recoil muzzle climb. I’ve talked to people that have used them in combat and a favorite trick of the the guys in the Pacific was to loop the strap around the neck and position the weapon muzzle so that it kinda hangs on the side at the front attachment. Why? Because they then had a sweep weapon. When the trigger was depressed the “little bit of a climb” translated into sideways motion with little assistance from the shooter.

Hosenfield wrote:

i’ve heard that the ppsh climbs like crazy due to its very fast rate of fire.

The videos here (posted before) don’t show too much climb with the PPSH - http://www.ppsh41.com/mpg.html

I would definitely go for the PPSH. The big mag would keep the other guys head down for longer.

See also - http://www.ppsh41.com/

MP40 for sure, better range/accuracy. Lifeweight and is easy to use due to its simple mechanism.

Where do you get your gen from IF ?

The MP40 is lighter only than the M1 which is an anchor, and the Geman mech is patently more complex than a straight blowback.

Have you fired these wpns ?

Following on from Cuts’ statement (puts anorak on), courtesy of Messers Smith and Smith,

Sten Mk 2:
Barrel Length 7.75 in.
Weight 6.62 lbs.

MP40
Barrel Length 9.9 in.
Weight 8.87 lbs.

Thompson
Barrel Length 10.5 in.
Weight 10.45 lbs.

PPSH
Barrel Length 10.63 in.
Weight 9.26 lbs. (with box mag) 11.99 lbs. (with drum mag)

I can tell you that the Thompson is heavier than a heavy thing.

As a further note, many people around here shoot 9mm pistol caliber carbines (Beretta CX4 Storm and MP5), and nobody has managed to get acceptable accuracy beyond 50m. And this is with modern weapons firing from closed bolts. They’ve tried heavy bullets, light bullets, fast loads, light loads, but nothing seems to work properly beyond 50m. Firing from an open bolt, which pretty much all WW2 era SMGs do, only severely decreases the accuracy.