Why I love beer

Hi morehead! I wondered if you’d come in here. :slight_smile: That’s okay, it would be difficult to name a person who hasn’t had a nip or two before 21. And yes, I love my Sam Adams also (most flavors, they’ve got so many now).

My sis-in-law has been to the States for 18 months as an au-pair at the age of 19. She got herself a faked ID for that reason before she even took off to the states…:mrgreen:

As for the age limit, if i remember right it was 7-8 months before i turned 18 that it was raised to 21. Suck! I had to wait 3 1/2 more years. Then, when i turn 21 and proudly go buy beer, they didn’t even check my ID!

I wasn’t smart enough to get one, althougth i didn’t drink much. Wow flame, you’ve been to NYC? I don’t think i’d be brave enough to go there!

I absolutely loved it and I’d go back anytime but US travels became a bit more expensive lately (I’ve been over there in 1995) and I got robbed only once in a 10-days-stay!!!

Sorry, but I simply had to share this, excuse the “haircut”! :mrgreen:

Hopefully kidding about robbery. It’s embarrassing to us when that happens to tourists. The city where i live relies a lot on tourism. (san antonio) Closest i got to NYC was in the mid 80’s when travelling to visit sister in the state of Maine. Could see skyline and barely statue of liberty in harbor. That’s ok about the haircut. I tried a curly perm back in the day, lasted about a week then went and got a buzz cut (almost military).

Well, maybe “robbery” is not the right term to describe the incident. Some guys in Little Italy who were running some kind of joint where to throw darts at balloons, caled on me like “Hey, where do you come from? Europe, great. Come on, throw some darts, for you it’s free”. In my unlimited naivety I followed this invitation. After I’d thrown a couple of darts one of them placed a board on the counter saying: 1 dart= 5 dollars. When I refused to pay I found myself suddenly surrounded by these fellas threatening “This is New York, motherfucker, you gotta pay your bills here!”. My ex-wife was so scared she gave one of them 20 bucks just to get us away from there. Just when we were leaving we saw a cop standing about 30ft away, unfortunately he hadn’t seen what’s going on. So, I learned a lot about NYC that day…

Sorry for the bad experience my friend im not to fond of new yorkers myself

Well that’s a shame to have an experience like that on your visit to US. I have relatives that live in western NY up by canada (niagara falls) and it’s very different even in the same state.

Actually this can happen in any major city around the world. Like I said I would go back anytime but there are other destinations in the States I’D like to see before. BTW, I see you’re from NC. My cousin is a professor in the department of languages at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Maybe we’ll meet one day around there…

my sister goes there she’s majoring in physical science

See? “The world’s a village” we say in Germany.

wow, sorry flame, about your experience, that sucks, but i know how you feel. when i lived in michigan, i had the same car stolen twice in 1 year.we even have our share of that in my little town, mostly burglars, not muggers.and for navyson1, my brother lives in texas. last time i went to see him we went to seaworld in san antonio, river street is beautiful, and the visit to the alamo made me feel patriotic for the first time ( i actually cried hearing the story) I dont ever care to see new york, i met enough of those folks in florida to see what NY must be like. i have been to upstate once , on a furlogh when i was in the army, it was nice,but cold as hell

Beer is not drinking. Whisky and vodka now thats drinking…beer is sort of like coolaide but with Kick!

Funny how Belgian beer is far more famous than Belgian people themselves…

Standard joke…name ten famous Belgians…

1. Jean-Claude van Damme

next one, please, I’m thinking…

Dr. Evil (Adopted) :smiley:

Poirot and the Thomson twins.

Vincent van Gogh

This relates to BEER…after you finish drinking it of course.
This is the way you buy alcohol in Toronto:
Ok, so in Toronto you go to a Provincial regulated BEER store where you can buy only Beer. The beer stores are far and few across the city. For hard drinks like whisky, wine or coolers, you go to a provincially regulated and operated store called LCBO. They sell only the later, along with limited brands of beer. No where else can you buy beer or liquor. (Ontario laws)
Now when you buy your beer or liquor, they charge a deposit of 10 cents per can or bottle of beer and if it’s wine, it’s 25 cents etc.
But you can only return your beer bottles/cans at the beer store. If you buy beer from a liquor store, you can’t return it there. You go to the Beer store. Also, the liquor store sells you a bottle of wince and charge you 25 cents deposit for the bottle. But you can’t return the wine bottle at the liquor store. You have to return it at the Beer store (where they don’t sell liquor or wine)…Sound confusing?..All I know is that there is one hell of a line up at the Beer store cause every wino is bringing back their wine bottles and delaying my wait time to buy my dam beer….only in Canada !!