Worst Rations?

LOL One of my favorite things to eat with eggs is corn beef hash from a can. I’m not a huge fan of Spam, although it’s okay when thinly sliced and fried, but I do like corn beef from a tin. Although, it’s usually too salty to eat much of in one sitting and smells vaguely like dog food when you open the can. :smiley:

I could never stand the Chicken-ala-King when the MRE’s first came out…ughh…especially cold, but the MRE bread when combined with the Ham slice wasn’t too bad as long as I had some hot sauce.

I think we used to fight over the spaghetti when it first came out…

Now that you mention it, I think cabbage was often served with it here. Might explain why it has such a lousy memory for many of my generation who got mushy boiled cabbage that made eating road asphalt seem tasty with a bit of texture.

Personally, I like crisply cooked cabbage dressed with butter (real butter, from cows, not margarine) and pepper, but I’ve always been a little strange. I think that’s what we might have got with the corned beef when I was a kid, or something like it.

Even if we didn’t, I’m going to cook it soon to see.

As they should, it being standard fare in Ireland during the Potato Famine to have Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing on rye bread when they were a bit short of the spuds and fleeing to your country and mine in droves in search of the best rye bread. :wink:

This may be the point at which we have a serious disagreement. :smiley:

Good mustard cannot be bought.

Good mustard has to be, and I know this is a shock to Americans used to their frontier traditions of being able to buy the best spare ribs in vacuum sealed packs of hickory flavoured sauce from their local supermarket, made.

All you need is mustard powder and good wine or cider vinegar, and a bit of time after you combine them. For more flavour add some herbs (or ‘erbs’ as you Americans seem to call them :D), a bit of sugar which helps the fermentation, a dash of sherry or brandy, and a few days in the fridge. The mustard is just right when a slight taste of it causes sweat to pour instantly from every follicle on your head, as a reassurance that the first impact didn’t actually lift off your scalp like it seemed to do.

In the field in WWII, and later and probably earlier, the assembly points for experienced troops were often littered with all the things they didn’t want to lug to no purpose. If the geniuses running the ration chains had gone there to find out what was discarded rather then having what we’d now call focus groups they would have known what the troops wanted. A lot of production and shipping tonnage would have been saved to improve the war effort.

It’s a sad world in army rations land…

Still going to join up? :smiley:

now you can get spam spread ables in the small little container in the grocery stores here in the U S

Not with the food they have… :cool:

You’re right…that was pretty good, however, anybody here remember the fruitcake in the MRE’s? Gosh…I ate it, but had to be pretty desperate!:shock:

This is why most UK vehicles have this wonderful device known as a “boiling vessel” - makes hot water for tea and cooks your food at the same time!

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/genmessmanual.htm

thought this might fit in the discussion!

Oh, yes. :smiley:

Any recipe that starts with 60 to 90 pounds of meat has to be good.

Especially when everything is boiled.

This sounds a bit yummy. :rolleyes:

TINNED MUTTON STEW.

Cut in quarters 4 pounds of turnips, 10 pounds of carrots, and 20 pounds of potatoes, and slice up 6 pounds of onions and place them all in the copper with sufficient water to cover them. Add 6 pounds of tomatoes and allow all to boil for twenty minutes. Season with pepper. Add 50 pounds of canned mutton and allow to simmer for twenty minutes.

US Army Rations - World War II
http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3551

Food of Different Armies
http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3537

What is your favourite C-ration ? (a humorous chapter from the “IRONMAN” chronicles)
http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2472