WW2 Ice Aircraft Carrier

If your not careful im going to have to award you the site grumpy ass award.

:smiley: :lol: :smiley: :lol:

:smiley: :lol: :smiley: :lol:[/quote]

That was not meant to come across as grumpy or sarcastic! Merely a statement of fact.

For a moment there I thought Crab has hijacket your account :lol:

:smiley: :lol: :smiley: :lol:[/quote]

That was not meant to come across as grumpy or sarcastic! Merely a statement of fact.[/quote]

Ah just giving ya shit. No worries. :wink:

I’ve had it outside since about 4:30PM yesterday. Today when I got home from school (3:00PM) I checked if it was still there. Most of the block had melted into a mess of wet, shredded newpaper, but there was a chunk about the size of my forearm that is still to be melted. When something that is frozen can withstand 20+ hours of being outside in Texas (it was about 70 degrees most of the day), it has gained my resepect. My hat’s off to Geoffrey Pyke.

Wow, it still has some that hasnt melted for 20 hrs and it was 70 degrees outside! I’m gonna give this peice of pykrete a salute!

It melted at about 6:00PM today, and now it’s just a giant pile of mush. I’m going to leave it there untill it dries so I can just pick it up in one clump :smiley:

Mind it doesn’t set like, er… concrete.

Depending on the surface it’s on, this papier mache can stick to the deck like the proverbial to a blanket.

It’s lying on dirt.

How come these were not ever constructed. Seeing as ice/pykrite is 100x stronger then steel?

the large carrier to the left is the pykrite, the right, modern steel ww2 carrier.

Ummm… probably because it isn’t actually anywhere near as strong as steel - it is however rather less dense which lets you use more of it. The construction and maintenence problems are fierce, particularly for a new technology in wartime.

well, no really in bulk amounts the ice is way stronger then steel. if theres explosion against the ice, i.e. torpedo, it doesnt create a gapping hole, just more of a fracture. See ice, well stays very strong, even when its near liquifing temperatures. Where as metal, starts to bend and break. Ice stays strong. And say a bomb falls on the flight deck, it reacts like if a bomb hits the ground, so to fix it, you just pour in the some water bring up some freezers from below deck and easily fix the wound.

ah well looky what i found

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/235665/2_million_ton_pykrete_aircraft_carrier_in_ww2/

Several threads from 2005 and 2006 archives have been merged here following a recent thread opened by strangy.
Also the thread resulted was moved.

How about in the tropics?

well, according to the video, the thing was a floating refrigerator that kept itself cold and could stay at seas for years. Amazing, its too bad we will never see one sailing the oceans. That would be a sight to see.

I think there’s a reason that icebergs don’t threaten shipping in the equatorial regions.

As for using onboard equipment to repair damage, the energy demand would be phenomenal.

And what exactly do you think the damage to “bulk amounts” of steel would be?

Update: For anyone interested, there is a BBC 7 dramatisation of the Habbakuk project/life of Geoffrey Pyke at the following link. It’s only live until this time next week however so if you’re interested get your skates on.
Needs RealPlayer…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/listenagain/thursday/rams/0500.ram

Got the book on the “bat bomb”,very boring book but it actually worked well.
They tested single bat-bomb on a brand new reserve army air field in CA or AZ and burned the place down.The post was brand new and Army was very
upset:shock: