Your favorite WWII big plane.

The funny thing is that the Spruce goose did not use that much spruce.

My favourite is the Short Sunderland

You have to love a combat aircraft with its own kitchen :smiley:

Thanks! I never knew Sunderland had a kitchen.:o Good plane that Sunderland. Myself, I kinda like the B&V designs (Bv138, 238, 222 etc).

i would say the b17 is my favorite

Lancaster

B-17G

Halifax

The Enola Gay B-29 is by far the most favourite plane of WW-2. It was The Enola gay which carried the Atomic bomb. It is my favourite and should be Number 1 in Aircraft history

The B-29 was a real winner!:mrgreen:

For me, Lancaster and Sunderland.

Also like the Stirling.

Come on, you didnt have any of the Boeing series, I for teh B-17 or B-29, My two favorite bombers

Come on? the Ju 390 or He 277… Well, they were too big to be realistic…

Boeing - 29

HANDS DOWN :mrgreen:

I’d go for the Lancaster, its family! I worked on the Avro Lincoln in 1951, some plane, fifteen feet more wing span, more powerful engines (later Merlins). When I stood under the bomb bay, it was like standing in a dance hall. They were also trouble free.

Ken

as far as ‘big’ goes i guess the spruce goose. even though it never left the states and only flew once. as far as combat ill go with the B-29. 1st fully pressurized cabin. remote control gun firing system and high altitude. around 30-35 thousand feet. but the engines had a serious problem at high altitude. engine fatigue. round the clock maintenance.

What about the G8N Renzan or Rezan(not sure)?. It actually flew, 4 were made while the G10N didn’t get to the protype stage.
My Favs

1. Ju-390
  2. Ta-400
  3. H8K ‘Emily’ flying boat
  4. G8N

Ja. Its the Nakajima G8N Renzan “Rita”
Vids here
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ1kE714i2I

BV238, and BV 250 (land derivative, and father of C130), BV222 (Father of Short Solent, post-war).

Regards, Uyraell.

Weird parental lineage… especially for the Solent which had several in-house ancestors

Check the hull of the Solent against the earlier in-house designs. I looked at it on and off over a couple of years. Eventually I concluded the Solent owed more to the BV222, the claimed lineage notwithstanding.
I reached the stage that I saw the Solent fuselage and hull as being BV222 in slightly reduced scale, by about a proportion of 25%.

Having examined a Solent at close hand (Museum of Transport and Technology, Western Springs, Auckland, New Zealand) I retained my opinion. That hull/fuselage has a lot more in common with the BV222 than is at first apparent. I agree the mainplanes relate back to the Short Brothers’ flyingboat designs, notably of course, the Sunderland.

However the frame layout, the stringer positioning, hull chines, and flow-break-steps in the hull, and similar details are imo very very close to replicating the BV222.

Regards, Uyraell.

At the time it was built, the Spruce Goose was the largest moving man-made structure on the planet.
IIRC, It was also one of the earliest to have incorporated powered assistance for the pilot input to the control surfaces.
The now legendary “flight” was one of the earliest publicly recorded occasions of such a system in operation, during which the concept of input assist was validated, notwithstanding that Hughes, while acknowledging the necessity, initially disliked the concept. At least, as far as records of his comments on it survive.
I have that, from a biography on Hughes, written in about 1980.

Regards, Uyraell.

B-17 Flying Fortress. That is one sexy bomber.