101st airborne

who don´t knows them?.

http://www.101airborneww2.com/

put any info you have about them

Good question Erwin, I bet everyone on this site knows something about the 101 Airbourne Division

bluffcove,what is the 101st airborne division? :lol:

[quote=“Erwin Schätzer(argentina)”]

bluffcove,what is the 101st airborne division? :lol:[/quote]

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

The 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) is formed of four brigade combat teams plus Division Artillery, Division Support Command, the 101st Aviation Brigade, 159th Aviation Brigade, 101st Corps Support Group and several separate commands.

That the sort of thing you are looking for then? - oh and I wrote that site so I dont need to reference it!

just kiddin’ bluff,you´re my friend sergeant major :wink:

:shock: ,you can write?? :lol:

just kidding again :wink:

Everyone knows of the 101st Airborne, but I think a more critical question is most people forget that there’s more to 101st Airborne Division than 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, and there’s more to the 506th PIR than Easy Company :slight_smile: Thanks to Ambrose, Hanks, and Spielberg, everyone knows Dick Winters’ company, but also thanks to the same folks, a lot of people I spoke to seems to forget there were other airborne men in the 101st outside of the 506th! A good place to start, as I always refer them, is the book “Currahee!” ( http://ww2db.com/read.php?read_id=19 ), which is reviewed by my colleague at that link. It’s an excellent book consisted of memoirs of an A Company man.

It’s ironic that while Ambrose’s book and Hanks/Spielberg’s miniseries brought the PIR’s history to the mainstream, uninformed viewers (particularly those who aren’t into history as much as us) think Easy Company men were the only paratroopers in the European theater :lol:

101 Airbourne were they second or third in on D Day after the Ox & Bucks

I don’t know the actual time-count of “who touched down in France first” the night before D-Day, but three airborne units were sent behind enemy lines the night before the invasion:

101st American Airborne Division
82nd American Airborne Division
6th British Airborne Division (containing 1st Battalion troops of Ox & Bucks)

With the mess going on that night, I don’t think anyone knows who landed first. One thing’s for sure: most of them didn’t land where they were supposed to :slight_smile:

Actually the first allied Airborne to go into action was the OX and Bucks, who also sufferred the 1st death of D-Day, Lt Den Brotheridge. While the UK Airborne mainly achieved their aims, the US drop was woefull, many aircraft dropped too fast scattering Paras over a wide range. Although in some ways this did help sow confusion among the Germans.

A nice little Brit site is here:

http://www.normandiememoire.com/NM60Anglais/2_histo3/histo3_p8_gb.htm

Thanks! I didn’t know Ox and Bucks were first. You learn something new every day! :smiley:

The US drops were horrific because the pilots were so green. They, understandably, just want to fly in, make the drop, and get their butts out of the flak zone. Unfortunately that meant the paratroopers were scattered all over the place, some didn’t even get a chance to have their chutes open fully before they landed…

bluffcove,what is the 101st airborne division? :lol:[/quote]

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Weren’t they the infamous cooks of ww2? I heard they made a mean pork and beans

In defence of the pilots, their route I believe was out to the west then in over the Cherbourg peninsula. So they had a long approach with a lot of time spent over land in enemy air space before dropping the troops.

never heard of em. new squad?

:stuck_out_tongue:

This is true, for the majority of them it was their first operation and must have been very daunting.

:lol: ,maybe the name of a new drink or pizza?

easy company under the command of capt. dick winters won the second world war.

Win in Band of Brothers . :lol: :lol:

yup, they sure did, its amazing what 150 well trained guys could do…