13 gaurd rifles history help

Hi there everyone. I’m in the middle of writing a novelette about a small platoon from the 13th gaurds. I know they crossed into Stalingrad over the vulga and fought for mamayev kurgan and the railway station from the night of the 13th.
My question is what they were doing before the 13th of September? I know they were due refit and where tired from long marches before they reached mamayev kurgan but I don’t know if they were involved in fighting before the 13th.
My story opens on the 8th of September 1942 with them already in Stalingrad, so this I will have to change. Help would be really appreciated. Also you can preview the first part of my story at kevin-macleod-writing.blogspot (.com)

Hello Kevin

Do you mean the 13 rifle guard division who fought as a part of 62 army in Stalingrad?
They actualy arrived to Stalingrad in night between 14-15 september 1942. The first unit faced Germans was platoon of st. leutenant Zahar Cherviajkov.He lost almost all his mans within 15-17 september but has repelled all the German assault and saved controll over Mill(Mamaev Kurgan).

My story opens on the 8th of September 1942 with them already in Stalingrad, so this I will have to change. Help would be really appreciated. Also you can preview the first part of my story at kevin-macleod-writing.blogspot (.com)

Very interesting. Why have you choosed exactly the story of that platoon for your writting?

Yes, thats the ones. But what were they doing before they crossed into Stalingrad. Likely fighting somewhere but I’m not sure where.
Ah a good question. I chose to write the story while I was learning some Russian. I jad been reading about battle of stalingrad too as it is part of Russian history. The 13th are well known and fought inredibly bravely despite being short of equiment. The battle for mamayev kurgan was also a big one and of course is a we’ll known location in Volgagrad. The fact that many die in the battle was conducive to my origional plot, which is fast changing.
If I can’t find what they were doing before the 13,14 and 15, I’ll have to rewrite a of the story. I want it to be as close to history as it can.
Thanks for your speedy reply. if you have any Idwas let me know. Thanks

Perhaps they were on route from Kharkov.

I suppose it wasn’t involved into the battle till the most 14 september. If to beleive the russian sources which i’ve found after the soviet defeat in second Battle fo Harkiv ( may 1942) the devision has been moved to the left side of Volga, reinforced and rearmed.More likely they’ve retreated to Volga in june 1942.

Ah a good question. I chose to write the story while I was learning some Russian. I jad been reading about battle of stalingrad too as it is part of Russian history. The 13th are well known and fought inredibly bravely despite being short of equiment. The battle for mamayev kurgan was also a big one and of course is a we’ll known location in Volgagrad. The fact that many die in the battle was conducive to my origional plot, which is fast changing.

You may also be a familiar with the anothe and most dramatic batlle of Stalingrad ( IMO) - the defence of Pavlov’s house by the platoon of leutenatt Ivan Afanasjev.(3-rd battalion , 42 regiment of 13 division).It occured bit later: 25 sep- 25 november.

Thanks Chevan

Yes, looks like I’ll have to do a little bit of rewriting. Funny you mention Pavlov’s house. Before I shut down my computer it was the last thing I was looking at along with the railway station battle. The whole thing fascinates me and I could probably include all the battles in my story… seems it’s fast turning into a novel haha. It started as a short story lol. Thanks again for the help.

Will wait to read the final resault;)