1918 German 13mm Tank Gewehr

I have never seen one of these rifles being fired, They were built by Mauser to counter the British, French, and American tanks of WW 1. Weighing into the 40Lb. range and with no recoil absorption features, it was well known to injure its users. A fairly simple upscale of the M-98 Mauser rifle, it was certainly able to deal with the armor of the time. worked well on sniper loophole plates, and other fortifications in the bargain.
Later, the U.S. would take the 13mm TuF (Tank,Und Flugzeug) cartridge as the inspiration for developing the .50BMG cartridge. This was done by upscaling the 30-06 rifle cartridge. For your Delectation, and Amazement click the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9-dCh8GJJA

Very, very good fing TankG. sadly the reload has been downloaded for safety, if not we would see a nice bruice in that shoulder.

You ain’t kiddin’ there, as much as I would enjoy shooting one, I’d have to have a sand bag between it and me.

And I still complain when dont have a rubber pad in the shotgun I am firing :wink:

TG and PK, my friends, is there not some reference in the forum to the effect that no-one fired the TankGewehr 13mm more than 5 times in succession before bleeding from the eyes?
I seem to recall recently reading to the effect that shot 1 produced a headache in the shooter, shot 2 produced what we’d call a migraine these days, shot 3 made that almost intolerable, and that by shot 5 the shooter was bleeding from his eyes, as result of the acoustic/percussive/concussive effects of shooting the weapon.
Do you gentlemen recall the same information, or are you able to add to that any info which corroborates it?

If it turns out to be so, I’d certainly be glad to fire o-n-l-y the “downloaded for safety” round, if ever presented with such an opportunity.

Clearly, simple though it was, the Tank Gewehr 13mm was a fearsome weapon, as were its’ various descendants.

Kind and Respectful Regards my friends, Uyraell.

I hadnt heard anything that specific about the gewehr, only that it had been taxing to use. I posted the video as it seems(to me anyway) to be the only recording of anyone firing it in modernity. Which I think is a testament to its brutal after effects. Having fired a boys with service ammo, I can just imagine what it would be like to fire that thing with no recoil absorbers…
The British began the development of a similar rifle in 1916, no designation for it, but used what was called a “Godsel” action,(single shot, Bolt) and did have a muzzle brake, and a pistol grip. It fired a cartridge called the 500/600, probably derivative of a Victorian, or Edwardian hunting cartridge. Few were built, and no definate info as to its ever being used in battle.
I couldnt find a loadable pic of one, but here is a pic of a 1902 godsel’s patent rifle in .303 a normal military type infantry rifle.

Godel's patent rifle .303.GIF