4th (SS) Division, "Polizei", Winter 1941-'42. - German Forces | Gallery

4th (SS) Division, "Polizei", Winter 1941-'42.

Soldier of the 4th SS Division, "Polizei", surveys the scene through a trench periscope, before Leningrad. Prior to its full incorporation in the Waffen-SS early in 1942, the "Polizei" enjoyed a curious half-in, half-out relationship with that force. This was reflected in the soldier's uniform, which was also Waffen-SS/Police hybrid. The helmet on the right-hand side shows a Swastika escutcheon; on the other side would be the "Police Eagle", distinctive badge of the German Police in this period. The soldier wears Waffen-SS camo; however, his right-hand sleeve cuff projects, showing the distinctive two-buttoned cuff of the pre-1943 Polizei "Waffenrock" tunic; the cuff is probably in the brown of the Schutzpolizei. I tried, but failed, to identify the periscope. I think it may, actually, be a Soviet binocular model; the bottom handle is, I think, the teardrop-shaped wooden structure just under the sight, which is in turn supported on what might be a length of pipe. Any views ? Best regards, JR.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ww2incolor.com/gallery/german-forces/44416/4th-(ss)-division-%22polizei%22-winter-1941-'42.

Sorry - the periscope is, obviously, monocular. What I meant to say was "monocular, prismatic". Best regards, JR.