5th rifle brigade

my grandfather served in the above. I no very little if anything about what he did and where he served. Can anyone put me in the right direction, please

It sounds as if you mean the 5th (London) Battalion of the Rifle Brigade.

These chaps are likely to know:

http://www.army.mod.uk/royalgreenjackets/reg_heritage/former_regiments/rifle_brigade.html

World War 1 (1914-18)
In action from 25th August 1914, during the retreat from Mons, the 1st Battalion held up three German Jaeger battalions and a cavalry brigade all that day, giving such a display of rapid fire that the enemy mistook it for machine guns. Then as operations ground to a halt and trench warfare took over, more and more infantry were needed until by 1916 eleven Rifle Brigade battalion were in France and Flanders and one in Salonika. A further ten battalions of affiliated Territorial Regiments served, mostly on the Western Front but also in Gallipoli, the Middle East and India. After four years of fighting in atrocious conditions, facing concentrated artillery and machine gun fire as well as poison gas and flame throwers, the war was won, but at tremendous cost. The regiment lost 11,575 dead. Ten VCs were won as well as 1,743 decorations for bravery.

5th (Reserve) Bn. Regular. Stayed in the UK (Thames and Medway Garrison) and supplied drafts to the Regular Battalions overseas.

32 bravo u r a star. my grandad lived in sheppey ie medway area and my dad joined the green jackets, by he looks of it a fore runner of the 5th rifle brigade. Thanks for the reply, I have something to go on