62nd and 135th Seabees

I am trying to research where my father’s SeaBee unit served during WWII. His discharge states that his service includes NCTS at Davisville, R. I. After that he was in the 62nd NCB and the 135th NCB. This is another case of not listening closely enough to war stories as I grew up and no longer having my father with me to ask. I know he left Rhode Island on a ship which went through the Panama Canal and docked at Honolulu. We have family photos of him and a friend in front of a grass hut on Waikiki Beach. From there, my oldest brother said that wherever the 1st Marines went, my father’s SeaBee unit was attached.

I have tried researching the 62nd and 135th. I know that the 62nd was at Iwo Jima during the time my father served. Another member has sent me information about the 135th since I posted this on the new member post.

My father served from from October 27, 1943, until October 3, 1945. I can remember him telling about being in the Philipines building something when a jeep came through yelling at all the men to stand at attention. He said they did, and after a few moments had passed, another vehicle carrying Gen. Douglas MacArthur passed.

I can also remember him talking about Iwo Jima and the Marianas and in He was a carpenter and help the rank of carpenter’s mate. He joined the Navy at age 39 after having served in the U. S. Army in the mid 1920’s at Fort Sill when they still had a horse calvalry there.

His name was William Wesley Horton from Russellville, Alabama.

Any info that anyone has would be appreciated.

Have you seen this ?

http://carol_fus.tripod.com/navy_hero_62nd_ncb.html

You will need to scroll down the page a little to find an account of the 62nd at Iwo Jima.

Richie

My Dad was a CM3 (Carpenters Mate 3rd Class). He was with the 122nd Seabess from 1943 to 1945. I talked to my Dad a lot about his experiences, and he is still around, now 85 years old. I hope you find the info you are looking for. Post again what you find, I would be interested in what you get.