75 mm Sherman round

Someone know info about no-explosive 75mm roundo for Sherman tank?
There two type of ammunition:

Left one is explosive and right one has cavity charge, but whit or whitout explosive? :confused:

Thank you in advance! :wink:

The projectiles are the same, and differ only in that the one (left) is loaded with H.E. and the fuze for the intended job, and the other (right) is without the H.E. filling/fuze. Dont know why there would be a choice available, the Ballistic cap provides support to the ogive at impact, to keep the projectile intact, and also provides some degree of “lubrication” as it breaches the armor.The windshield helps retain velocity, and accuracy at distance.
I do not have any data concerning muzzle velocity, or penetrating capabilities, beyond that most users thought more of both would have been nice to have.

I think the penetration of the 75 mm gun was some 62 mm armor at 500 meters, that for the APC and a little more for the APCBC.

but if the right one isn’t load with HE, how does it work?
Does the empty cavity need explosive to make his effect? Or simply take power from the impact whit the tank armor?

p.s. sorry… my english is poor :wink:

Your English is fine Berns, never fear.
The rounds in question penetrate the target by means of kinetic energy. The mass, and velocity of the projectile combine to direct pressure against the armor in excess of its ability to resist, causing the armor to flow away from, and around the projectile. The job of penetrating the target is the steel projectile’s alone, the H.E. filling does not contribute to it.
The function of the filling is to cause greater, and hopefully terminal damage to the tank, and crew once the round has passed through the armor. The fuze initiates upon impact, and a built in delay allows enough time for the projectile to pass through the armor, into the tanks interior before exploding.

Thank you! :wink:

it’s clear tankgeezer… I need this information because I found those on the gothic line near Florence… :roll: Their wheigt is 5 kilogramm about…

Hi Berns, was this round you saw part of a display, or just laying around?

It’s lay around where it is a German tranch… near the Futa pass (Gothic line). Also there are 57mm and 37mm no-explosive round.

If you decide to keep some of them, do be sure they are not the exploders, they make house keeping difficult,:smiley: Can you get some pics of the area? it would be nice to see.

Foto from the area?
Today I go to Berlin, my sumer holyday starts until 6th august! :stuck_out_tongue: So when i return in august I make some printscreen from google earth… ok? Also make photos of the object I found… :wink:

p.s. I’m a militaria metal detector’s fan! :smiley:

Have fun in Berlin, there should be lots to keep you busy, see if you can get to see the FLAK Turm, I dont know if they give tours, but it looks like an interesting place to explore. I spent a week there in the 70’s, it was a very cool place to be. Enjoy!

The British also used the same 75x350R ammo, but did not like the bursting charge because they found the fuzes to be unreliable - and if they detonated on impact instead of after penetrating, the shell would just blow up without penetrating the armour. So all British tank/anti-tank gun AP ammo fired inert projectiles, without HE or fuze.

Incidentally, the 75x350R cartridge was originally French (for the famous “75” gun of the late 1900s) and the German Army made some use of captured French guns, fitted to German mountings.

I did not know that Tony, I’m a fan of the French 75, and I was curious as to why there would be two offerings for the 75 A.P. Thanks.

A little data on the british 75mm.

Thank you Panzerknacker… one more information, I believe it is not explosive the right one…

Watch it guys! :slight_smile:

Very cool Berns! :slight_smile: that one has been fired, driving band is swaged down, ballistic shield is missing, but it doesnt seem to have hit anything but dirt. the supportive cap is still in place. that one is not an explosive, so if you want to keep it, it wont be dangerous. (A wire brush, some Black paint, instant cool collectible) (if the law allows you to take it home,) By the way Berns, how was Berlin? regale us with a traveler’s tale good sir.

Berlin is fantastic, for tourists like history (WW2 Natzi common places, Berlin Wall, Stasi museum, Russian monuments) and for a crazy italian like me :slight_smile: , that seeking fun in one of the most important capital in Europe…

During the day, I was a “normal” vistor… but the night… :stuck_out_tongue: To sleep??? NOOOOOOOOO Berlin dont’s fall a sleep!! :slight_smile:

Russian T34 at Tiergarten, Berlin (one of the firsts that enter in Berlin in 1945)

Russian Artillery

Rifle signs in Est Berlin

Thank you Panzerknacker… one more information, I believe it is not explosive the right one…

No problemo.

Quite rusty hobby you have :cool:

Berlin is fantastic, for tourists like history (WW2 Natzi common places, Berlin Wall, Stasi museum, Russian monuments) and for a crazy italian like me , that seeking fun in one of the most important capital in Europe…

During the day, I was a “normal” vistor… but the night… :stuck_out_tongue: To sleep??? NOOOOOOOOO Berlin dont’s fall a sleep!!

Good man Berns, I was hoping that Berlin had’nt changed, I had a grand time myself there in the 70’s, you are home safe, not in jail, sounds like time well spent… :slight_smile: