90,000 MILE BIKE REBUILD (Or, how I learned to curse in many different languages)

My aging Harley-Davidson Electraglide had finally decided enough was enough, and spoke in low dulcet snorts that a refit was in order. This is the largest, and heaviest of the Electraglides, and includes all luggage, fairings, even 2 way radio, stereo, and casset player, and cruise control. But all of these refinements mean little if the damn thing wont run. (unless you enjoy having a wheeled 900 lb radio set.) Getting it apart was not terribly tough, I had a manual, (it was helpful in propping the bike up a bit) and tools aplenty from my years of doing this work on most every bike I ever owned.
I had the valve job done at a local shop, luckily nothing additional but new seals needed. The jugs, would be needing more attention, and had to be bored to .020" over (2 steps over STD.)
These things completed, it was time to order gaskets, seals, odd bits n’ bobs to finish up with. Times have changed, when these things were fairly simple, and inexpensive, they are now made to NASA specs, and are as expensive as Shuttle parts. (hopefully, they work better) I was astonished when the manual said I actually needed a torque wrench, This is a first.
The H-D EVO engine is a more complex engine than its ancestors, needing many more seals, and O-rings which keeps it from dripping all over the floor. (In days of old, if it wasn’t leaking, there was something wrong.) but I kind of like not having to scrub the garage floor every week. Could be on to something here…
Now its time to put it all together again, and its going okay. (very suspicious if you ask me,) not much speaking in tongues, yet.
Pic 1 , The old Dreadnaught in the background
Pic 2 , Top end coming apart (evil spirits are released )
Pic 3 , Grumpy, worn old piston (if it could talk, it wouldnt be printable)
Pic 4 , Rear cylinder back on, all shiny, and happy, front piston, and cylinder go next.

Garage 002.jpg

bike teardown 1.jpg

Bike teardown 2.jpg

bike teardown 003.jpg

May you have every success and Blessing in this TG my friend. :slight_smile:
`Tis a delight to see this work in progress.

May your knuckles be unbloodied,
May your wrenches all fit the nuts well,
May the alignments and seals conform,
May the joy of the renewal travel with thee all thy days.

Warm, Kindest, Respectful Regards and
Blessed Be TG My Friend, Uyraell,

Well thank you my friend, I appreciate it. (but bloody knuckles are part of the fun).

You are most certainly Welcome my friend. :slight_smile:

While I freely acknowledge that bloody knuckles are part of the fun, I with equal freedom acknowledge that bloody knuckles contribute vastly to the expansion of one’s vocabulary in non-standard entymology.
I often helped my dad rebuild his Austin Sevens, to the consternation of the spirits of those vehicles, and the frequent vocabularic expansion of both paterfamilias and humble self.
It is of note that Austin Sevens may well be as difficult to work on in certain respects as the venerable Harley.

It is a pleasure to see such work done tho, and I am truly delighted to see your work as shown here.

Warmest, Kind, and Respectful Regards TG my friend, Uyraell.

Oddly enough, getting the jugs back on was not the problem I had expected, though it wasnt without some eccentricities. But now the fussy stuff begins.

1. heating the piston allows the wrist pin to be seated without tools (wrist pin is chilling in the freezer, and it did pop right in.) A common hair drier will do nicely, heat for about 10 minutes, use glove to handle.

2. Front jug down, all is well.

3. Head is on, all fingers are intact. (brain is another story…)

bike teardown 004.jpg

bike teardown 007.jpg

bike teardown 009.jpg

Very neatly done though, TG my friend.
Must say I’m impressed with the neatness of your garage, all very clean and orderly-looking.
As opposed to that of pater, wherein one might well consider hiring archaeologists to locate that part being worked-on last week … :mrgreen:

Warm, Kind, And Respectful Regards TG my friend, Uyraell.

Good job my friend, the people always is fascinates when they see a parked good old big motorcycle in perfect shape but they dont realize the hard work behind to reach that state of thingd.

Incidentally my two mother lenguages are quite useful to to repair my old bikes, spanish to curse when working in an old Puma and italian while struggling with an old Gilera. :mrgreen:

So true my friend! I think that curse words are actually good Ju-Ju when working on cars, and bikes etc. Happily, the big stuff is over, now its just the fussy little stuff to deal with. The push rods are not adjustable, and all are a different length. Have to be careful to put them in the proper order. And there are a dozen or so different seals for each cylinder/rockerbox, and they all go in just so. I believe that I will learn a few new words before I’m finished… :slight_smile:

Hopepully that NASA made parts will not drain your resourses dear TankG. :lol:

by the way sometimes I dream with this one, a truly sexy american bike.

The posh Indian bikes are prized by many bikers,and are considered the Bugatti Royal of their day. Henderson was another well known builder in the old days, they built an inline four as well. they are out there, if you have the $$$$$ .

1925-henderson.jpg

They are really beautiful, extremely beautiful I must say. I ve seen several Harley, some Indians in my province but no a single Excelsior.

Old Indians, and Henderson/Exelsiors are still turning up here, and there, whether or not its suitable for restoration is another matter, but some people just like the clean them up, and display them without a restoration. Both names have been reintroduced in the modern market, so you might see one of them sometime. (Indian Chief left, Henderson right)

indian cheif.jpeg

726316_f520.jpg

Many a strange noise, and curious utterance were heard from the Geezer Garage, but the engine is nearly completed, needing only the rocker box covers installed (but this requires charms, and incantations from the Order of the Ruby to do properly) Should be done in a couple days, if the store has a part I need. The original switch is well roasted with age, and doesnt want to play anymore.

Pic left: Tidy engine all ready for rocker covers, each rocker assembly is held to the head by 9 bolts.

Pic right: The center engine mount showing the crispy vacuum switch with shredded pig tail, and melted vac line at right.

Pic farther right: engine buttoned up, pipes on, ready for carburetor. turns well, with no weird noises.

Bike reassembly 001.jpg

Bike reassembly 005.jpg

Bike reassembly 2 001.jpg

Looking very nice TG my friend, seemes you’ve got it buttoned up very neatly. :slight_smile:

Warm, Kind and Respectful Regards TG, Uyraell.

Still waiting for some parts, ZZZZzzzzzz.

At least i had more to start with, unlike this fellow…

modern art.jpeg

Last time I saw an accumulation like that, it was in fibreglass, as an objet d’art.
I can’t quite visualise in the above picture what would encourage someone to proceed in attempting a restoration.

Too little there to begin with.

Warm, Kind, And Respectful Regards TG my friend, Uyraell.

When it gets to that point, abstract art is the only option, :slight_smile: (though I have seen worse…)

Okay, its finished, no parts left over, I’ll try to fire it tomorrow.

Finished Bike 004.jpg

That’s a beautiful bike 'Geezer, definitely worth the effort to rebuild…

Thanks Nick, its what Bikers call a “Geezer Glide”, or a “Tuna boat.” At 16 yrs, its not the oldest bike I’ve had, but it is nice and comfy. (stereo is great) A fender Bunny would be nice too.:wink: