A curious German weapon

I share with you photos of one of the most curious designs of the Luftwaffe during World War II. I’m talking about Junkers Ju-287 and its unusual design. If it had entered into service and built in quantity would have changed the course of the war? What do you think? Visit the link below, you will find it a lot of photos and a full report on this almost unknown aircraft. I hope you enjoy.

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com.br/2011/01/blog-post.html

Best Regards!

No. And they could never have produced it in sufficient numbers as they were still producing large numbers of semi-obsolete Me-109’s at the end of the war…

flying backwards? :smiley:

Well ,the history proves that even when the germans could and produced the “superior wearpon” in sufficient numbers, like say missles V1/2 or panzerfausts - it had no chances to change the course of the war:)

Even in giant quantities - the aerodunamical scheme with forward-swept wings has no profit for bombers. It might have some pluses for fighter in dogfighs( see Su-47) having better manevreability - but absolutly useless for bombers. But pure technological troubles in mass production of such an aircraft made the sensless all the potential adventages over the traditional scheme fighters.

In the end, I think Tooze makes the point in his Wages of Destruction that these ad hoc, often competing projects tended to be parasitic to the German war economy and prevented production of better piston engined aircraft. Even still, Germany could never produce near enough conventional bombers and had only minimal success with long range strategic aviation - so I doubt these sorts of projects were anything but a net loss for the Germans. The Luftwaffe was already showing signs of severe strain by mid-1941 and Udet committed suicide largely goaded by Goering’s boastful bullshit to his Fuhrer…