A thin red line and a midnight clear

These are both two books I would personally recommend because they are leaps and bounds better than the movies. A midnight clear has been suspected of being an auto biography, as william wharton the author was known to write books that trailed similar events in his life.

The movie “The thin Red Line” was a bit “deep”.

I liked both of them very much. It’s a shame that “A midnight clear” isn’t available on DVD over here…

The films narrative is often seen as a problem in an otherwise excellent film. But I think they tried to remain true to the book. I recall reading a review in the newspaper at the time of release and the writer, real life WWII veteran James Jones, who also wrote “From Here to Eternity.”

He was heavily influenced by 19th century literature dealing with American Romanticism and Pantheism (hence the rhetorical line to the effect, “What if all men shared one soul?”), and the conflicting ideas of nature as bucolic paradise or nature as a deceptively horrific force that will kill you. Such works like “Moby Dick” or the works of Nathaniel Hawthorne dealing with abstract spiritual notions are themes being touched on…

Yes, i was aware of this…good info though.Thanx.:wink: