A thread on N.Kruschev

Hello,

Following the request of Digger I create this thread on Soviet leader N.Kruschev.
What do you think about him? Any info? I will share mine later. :wink:

Think I might move this to the Cold War section

Anyhoo love the shoe bit

Topic moved.

Go on Nikita lovers ( it rimes :rolleyes: )

Yea Gen
Nikita was cool in the UNN conference where he kick the speakers platform by his shoe.
ā€œWe will show them (Americans) the kuzkin motherā€ - his favorit slogan.
In the 1960yy in USSR he look ( after the Stalin) like the democrat.
Indeed he was idiot IMHO.
During his period in power the soviet gov made its worst mistakes. The one of its was the shoot of the demonstrants in Novocherkassk in 1962.

ā€œWe will show them (Americans) the kuzkin motherā€

Sorry my ignorance, What is kuzkin ?

Well Kuzij this is mythical hero of russian ancient stories - the name of invisible home spirit Domovoj (master of home). He responsible for the good atmosphera in home and for luck of family life.
Some of western historian think the Krushev mean the Soviet nuclear wearpon. But indeed he mean the ability of USSR ( real or not ) to protect its life interests and win the economic competition with USA.

Cheers.

Idiot or just crazy thank god cooler heads between him and Kennedy prevailed during the cuban missle crisis. Otherwise we wouldnt be here today. I agree IMO he was a idiot. However the USSR did grow during his crazyness and matched the US in terms of global influence and power.

Itā€™s true.
His period in power was called as ā€œKruschev thawā€. He liquidated GULAG and convicted the Stalinā€™s Cult of Person. The fact that behind his back politburo planned and realised the plot against him. He could shout them all but he didnā€™t.

I tend to think that Kruschev was similar dictator like Stalin, just few steps down and an idiot for a good measureā€¦ he did not managed to hold on.

His biggest achievement was shooting Lavrentiy Beria. This act of courage bought him a few years in power. On the other hand this act probably prolonged Cold War at least 35 to 40 yearsā€¦
There are some indications that Beria planned to dismantle the Wall and move out of East Germany, Poland, Czekhoslovakia and other ā€œdemocratic countriesā€ before 1960. Nikita shot him not because of Beria being a murderer, (fat Nikita was only marginally better).
Kruschev shot Beria because Beriaā€™s plans of giving up burden of Eastern Europe.

If not cool head of Kennedy Nikita would almost start WWIII.
He was also responsible for Budapest Uprising being squashed.
It was him, which ordered tank divisions of Soviet Northern Army Group from Legnitza area to march towards Warsaw during October 1956 crisis.

The clash was very close, because some Polish commanders set anti tank defences at approaches to Warsaw. It was very fortunate for the whole Europe and world that Polish general W. Komar had enough sense to talk to soviet commanders which he personally knew and tensions disappeared.

Kruschev decided to fly to Warsaw exactly the same time, his plane was shot at by Polish AAA near Warsaw. He landed first in Cracow than finally landed in Warsaw and accepted Gomulka which was released from jail and took power.

(He flew to Warsaw not because of love of Poland, but because of fear that if communications between soviet troops in East Germany will be cut due to possible uprising in Poland - worse than in Hungary due to the size of the Polish Army - NATO forces will attack. Nonsense of course.)

Poland in 1956 was a strange country which helped Hungarian Uprising. All together supplies of medicine, blood, blood products, food ā€¦ and volunteersā€¦ from Poland were much higher than what the rest of Europe offered to Hungarians.
Radio Free Europe run by CIA had a shamefull roleā€¦ instead of calming emotions of Hungarians, they incited violence and promoted false hope of approaching help from USA and Western Powersā€¦ Hungarian Freedom Fighters decided to hold onā€¦
How many people died because of actions of few members of ā€œHungarian Sectionā€ of Radio Free Europe?

And for me, which was born just a few month before all this happened, Kruschev was a ā€œfashion guruā€ā€¦ His suits were ā€œimpeccableā€ā€¦ just jokingā€¦

This arrogant peasant was not able to accept any advice from professional diplomats like Gromyko and looked absolutely miserableā€¦ Shame for a world power.

Cheers,

Lancer44

Well is it true mate in the west was prepared the groupe of diversants under command of former SS offiser Otto Scorceni? I heared also that a lot of former fascist soldier were sended to the Hunguary.

Well, personally I think itā€™s
as much bullshit as fairy tales about US Army preparing to go from USSR, UK and US occupied Austria to ā€œhelpā€ Hungariansā€¦

Shear and utmost ā€¦ nonsence!!!

Regards,

Lancer44

OK no problems mate.
Thanks i believe you and will take your point as true.

Well Kuzij this is mythical hero of russian ancient stories - the name of invisible home spirit Domovoj (master of home). He responsible for the good atmosphera in home and for luck of family life.
Some of western historian think the Krushev mean the Soviet nuclear wearpon. But indeed he mean the ability of USSR ( real or not ) to protect its life interests and win the economic competition with USA.

Bolshoye spasibo!