A Unit's History

Hello, all… this is my first post.
My name is Jay, and I am active duty US Army. I’m also a long-time student of WW2 history.

The link, at the bottom of this post, is to a web page containing a fairly detailed summary of the actions of a less-than-well-known, but very important unit, the 28th Infantry Regiment… The Black Lions.
For those of you who may have never heard of the 28th, they were largly responsible for Allied victory in WW1, and made for themselves, a distinguished reputation for reliability, effectiveness, and lethal execution of thier missions.
The Regiment also fought in Vietnam, and a certain NVA commander, at one point, had offered to pay his soldiers a bounty for every Black Lion they killed, in combat.

Until recently, the Regiment had been conducting Basic Combat Training at Ft. Jackson, SC, mostly training support soldiers like Signal, Medical, and Intel, but every once in a while, an Artillery or Infantry soldier was ordered to conduct his basic training, there. Now, the 1st Battalion is based at Ft. Riley, KS, as of 12 Jan. 2006.
I did my basic training with Co. A, 1/28. A lot of the Regiment’s history was discussed, during classes given by the Drill Sergeants. I have a lot of pride in having once been a Black Lion, and I hope to be able to take the opportunity to serve with them, now that they are an operational unit, once again.

I hope you all can enjoy the information in this link. It was written in 1945, by 1LT Harold Mac Greggor.

http://www.militaria.com/8th/WW2/28inf.html

Welcome Black_Lions and thanks for the info.