absolutely no topic at all

In compiling

Walther war machines big book of soldier knowledge
ISBN 0800 1111 1111

I have noticed a peculiar disparity between inferred meaning from The wanker, and those that seek to batter some sense into his peanut and sweetcorn strewn intellect. 8)
VIS A VIS - HE IS PUTTING WORDS IN OTHER PEOPLES MOUTHS

should you find any. Post them below. :lol:

This Will be on sale to all OTC cadets :?

• so remember kids, dont include anythign from the lying wannabe regs, :x
    only the good shit that issues forth like heavenly manna from the waltish Spanna!!! :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

dont include anythign from the lying wannabe regs

Ah yes those reg b*stards, I constantly have to listen to their lies in my unit! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ya know I have some pretty good friend from NI and the UK and picked up quite a bit of lingo…but i have to admit i havent a clue WTF you guys are talking about. Again to countries separted by a common language. :smiley: :lol:

GS-

OTC - Officer Training Corps - a scheme whereby university student can join a kind of cadet organisation and decide whether the Army life is for them before joining up when they finish their education.

Reg - Regular soldier, as seperate from the Territorial Army or STABS as we call them - Stinking TA Bastards. They call us ARABS - Arrogant Regular Army Bastards.

Scaley - Member of the Royal Corps of Signals (THE Royal Corps, by the way), so called because early radio batteries would leak acid and cause skin problems for the guy who carried them on their backs - hence Scaley Back.

Walter/Walt - Walter Mitty - one who pretends to be something he is not. For example, pretending to have been or to be serving with Her Majesties Glorious Armed Forces. Can also be someone who’s entire gun knowledge comes from the CofD instructions book but who argues with members of the best army in the world about it.

Wanker - even yanks must know this?

We have ROTC-Reserve Officer Training Corp over here. That is at Uni level. We also have Junior JROTC. I was in this in high school. It was the Naval ROTC. I was an Ensign. I think you have the same rank in the RN. So I am a bit of an Officer, although i was never actually in the armed forces. But was the commander of 3rd platoon. :smiley:

Ya know you call the Americans “Yanks” which is funny because most americans associate this with the Yankee’s of the American Civil war.

Anyhow thats for the lingo lesson.

Aye, language can be a funny thing !

As you may be aware the Brits use a lot of rhyming slang, which while it originated in the east end of London, is countrywide these days.

Two words with (generally) some loose connection to each other are used to indicate a word which rhymes with the second of the pair.

eg.
Apples and Pears = stairs,
Frog and Toad = road,
Trouble and Strife = wife, (very apt !)
Dustbin Lid = kid.

To make matters even more complicated, one tends to use only the first word of the pair !
Apples = stairs, etc.
You need to know or guess the second half to understand what people mean.

The one often used to indicate an American, (and is non-derogatory,) is ‘septic,’ from septic tank = yank.
It is as I said non-derogatory and a number of my American friends use it as a badge of honour - a couple even had t-shirts made with it on !

I’ll leave you to guess what ‘goose’ means !

[quote="“Gen. Sandworm”"]

Don’t blame us General…Wilkipedia says it was the Dutch who started it :slight_smile:

The origin of the term is disputed. Widely held theories claim that it originated from the Dutch in old New Amsterdam (today known as New York) in the Mid-Atlantic States. It then was adopted by the British as a pejorative for (Northern) colonists. The origin was likely to be either the phrase Jan Kees (“John Cornelius”) (two very common dutch names); Jan Kaas, meaning “John Cheese”, a generic insult of the Dutch; or perhaps Janneke, the diminutive form of the name Jan. The latter is particularily plausible since “Janneke” is essentially the Dutch equivelent of “Jonny” (although today it is used as a girls name; compare the French Jeannette). Dutch traders along the waterways near New York used the name Janneke as a diminutive for the English settlers since the name “John” was very prevalent at the time.

One thing I have to say about our ancestors is that they werent very original. Most towns and cites especially in the east are named after places in Europe. Hence New York. My favorite is Versailles, Kentucky. Which im sure most Euros are up on the pronunciation of the palace that the town is named after. But the yocals of Ken-Tuck-ee. Pronounce it Ver-Sails. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyhow interesting post on the Yank thing Reiver

Those f**king Dutch are weirdos anyhow. :smiley:

I also like Cairo in Georgia

Pronounced KAY-RO

hmmmm…

I live in the southern US and I’ve always heard Cairo pronounced “KI-RO”. The old Cairo ironclad warship is on display in Vicksburg, MS and everyone pronounces it “KI-RO” too.

But I think that old practice of naming towns after Euro places died out with the grandchildren of the people who left England for America. Most of the cities in the US are named after American persons.

Most southerners think it’s funny as hell when they see northerners and foreigners depicting southerners in films, and they try to use a southern accent and grotesquely exaggerate and bastardize it (probably because they’ve never been to the south and don’t actually know what real southerners sound like at all), and end up sounding truly strange. There are people who live in the Appalaitian Mountains in the US that have an accent that most people refer to as a “mountain hick” accent, but a documentary on those people revealed that research proves that the accent is actually a Americanized Scottish rural accent passed on by the immigrants who settled there generations ago.

The oddest accents in the US are those of the people who live in New England, or generally on the eastern coast. They pronounce the word “car” as “care”, and Maryland becomes “Maaa Ulund”, and airplane is “aaaa playne”, “it” becomes “et”, “ofcourse” becomes “uvcooooOrs”, “you guys” becomes “yoos gize”, “hello” is often replaced with “yo”, “whatever” becomes “wutevuh” and so forth. It’s truly odd. It sounds very dorky to most Americans.

Scaley - Member of the Royal Corps of Signals (THE Royal Corps, by the way), so called because early radio batteries would leak acid and cause skin problems for the guy who carried them on their backs - hence Scaley Back.

I heard (but i could be wrong) signallers were called scalies due to the fact that in WW1 the linemen had to crawl around alot laying down telegraph lines often crawling over barbed wire and other nasties. As a result they made suits of armour to protect them that looked like scales, hence ‘scaleyback’.

I remember reading many years ago, that the term “hillbillies” originated in the fact that many of the people in these communities were descended from poor Ulster-Scots immigrants.
Protestant supporters of William II, aka William of Orange, or, colloquially, King Billy, who had defeated the Catholic King James in 1690.
“Billy” is still a somewhat pejorative term for a Protestant in Ulster or Scotland, from the events of that period (late 17th/early 18th Century)
Since they had settled in the mountains, they became the “billys in the hills” = hillbillies

Of course, you are right. I can’t think what my great-uncle (native of Kay-ro) was thinking when he told me where he lived.

The French “voyageurs” who explored much of the west of America in the early days left some strange names behind too, that have often been largely bastardised by the Anglos who followed after,
Two that come to mind are the river in Texas which I believe is commonly called the “Picketwire”, originally the Purgatoire (purgatory), and the Grand Tetons Mountains, which really doesn’t translate politely. :oops:
I can only assume it had been a while since they’d had female company :D.

Don’t know mate, I got told the battery story when I was in basic

I lived in northwestern Montana for 3 years and I used to ski at Teton Pass in the Grand Tetons to the south of us. Everyone pronounced the name “Tee Ton”, although, I imagine the proper pronunciation is “tet ton” or something else. But then, French is a strange, unique Celtic language.

I swear the man in this picture looks like actor Earnest Borgnine:

HAHAHAHA! The expert strikes again! And there was me thinking that it’s a Romance language which is similar to Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and Romanian, amongst others.

But then what do I know, I only speak it!

:lol:

HAHAHAHA! The expert strikes again! And there was me thinking that it’s a Romance language which is similar to Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and Romanian, amongst others.

But then what do I know, I only speak it!

:lol:[/quote]

Not good enough I’m afraid, can you tell us what the CofD handbook says about French?

I guess because you’re a Brit you think the only Celtic tribes that exist are in Britain?

Guess all you like, matey. You seem to do that a lot!

IIRC it is Breton which is a Celtic language (closely allied to Cornish). This means that there are some people in France that speak a Celtic language, however, this does not mean that French itself is part of the Celtic group of languages.

There are also several other languages spoken in France apart from French, including Basque, Catalan, Alsatian and Corsican. Some of these are Romance languages but some are Germanic or, in the case of Basque, unrelated to any other group of languages.