Admirable or still in 1942?

Devoted to Kokoda’s war dead
Justin Norrie
Tokyo
March 29, 2008

A new book follows a maverick Japanese soldier’s quest to honour a pledge he made to his comrades, a mission to repatriate their remains that spanned 26 years.

WHEN Kokichi Nishimura crept ashore at New Guinea’s Salamaua Beach just before 1am on March 8, 1942, he predicted that Japan was months away from capturing Australia and conquering the South Pacific.

The wiry grenade launcher and his comrades from Japan’s 144th regiment had swept through Guam and smothered brief resistance at New England. Now they were about to storm Salamaua, allowing Japanese planes to head south unimpeded to Port Moresby and, before long, the vast continent below.

Corporal Nishimura was 21 and in his naivety could scarcely have imagined the torment that lay ahead on the treacherous Kokoda Trail. Nor could he have contemplated the possibility that hellish fighting with desperate Australian troops would bind him, literally, to that precipitous mountain track for more years than he had even been alive. It was here in the malarial rainforests smothering the Owen Stanley Range that he would return, a much older man, to belatedly honour a grim promise, one that would take him 26 years and 400 million yen in life savings and pension payments to carry out. “I can never forget that pledge to my comrades,” recalled the 88-year-old veteran, whose failing strength has forced him to abandon his one-man mission and return to Tokyo. "It was January 12 (1943), and our food had run out. By then I weighed less than 30 kilograms and, like the other troops, I was eating the flesh of dead enemy soldiers just to stay alive.

"Those who were strong enough were evacuating from the coast, deserting the weak and ordering them to keep the Australians and Americans at bay. So I said to the soldiers left behind: ‘No matter what happens, if you die in this land I will come back for you, and I’ll return you to Japan to rest with your families. This is my promise to you.’ " Such was the old soldier’s determination to make good on his word that he walked out on his wife and two sons in 1979 to do so. As he reflects in a book to be released next week, The Bone Man of Kokoda, by Australian journalist Charles Happell, he did not stop to think about them once in the 2½ decades he subsequently devoted to digging up and repatriating the remains of almost 350 Japanese soldiers.

“Why waste thoughts on something like that?” he said from his home north of Tokyo. "I don’t know if they’re even alive any more. They didn’t approve of what I was doing, and nor did the rest of Japan. But I gave a pledge.

“How could I sit here in Tokyo while my comrades were lying forgotten beneath the dirt, so far away from the families that grieved for them every day?”

So, 37 years after the troops in his battalion became the first members of the Japanese army to reach New Guinea, the 60-year-old retired mechanical engineer made his way back. This time he was armed with a landmine detector, a mattock and a shovel. His remarkable solo quest consumed almost a third of his life but he says he would still be digging if he had the strength.

With his savings he bought a hectare of land at Kakandetta, between Giruwa on the coast and Kokoda inland, built himself a two-storey house out of local hardwoods, and planted a vegetable plot beside it to supplement his simple diet. Then he set to work. “I felt like this was my life mission,” explained the proud nationalist, who claims that his family crest links him directly to Japan’s imperial family and the Shinto gods who fashioned Japan from the elements.

The Australians and Americans had shown respect for their war dead, he said. They carefully interred their remains at cemeteries across the countryside. The Japanese Government, on the other hand, had “literally left thousands of Japanese soldiers to rot, as if they were an embarrassment that they preferred to forget about. So I took it on as my own duty. No one else would.”

Not least among his objectives was a yearning to recover the bodies of the close friends from his own platoon, all 55 of whom were killed on the Kokoda Track. Most of these soldiers, from Kochi or Ehime on the island of Shikoku, were mowed down by Australian machine-gun fire in the horrific Battle of Brigade Hill, on September 8, 1942.

Seventeen days later, when the Australians had worn down the exhausted and malnourished Japanese within sight of Port Moresby, Major-General Tomitaro Horii reluctantly ordered them to retreat. It was the turning point in the Pacific War.

Despite being shot three times in the shoulder from almost point blank range during the Battle of Brigade Hill, Nishimura remarkably survived the carnage even chasing down and killing his assailant, an Australian soldier who “looked to me just like a teenager”. “Every day for many, many years I could hear the scream he made when I ran my sword through him. It was a horrible thing,” he recalls.

On his return to the country that had haunted him for so long, he took his old diary and detailed notes that he had smuggled out against strict military orders in the evacuation. By using those to supplement his fading memory of the year he spent in tropical hell, he mapped out swathes of land that he thought would most likely yield the remains of fallen comrades.

First he searched for deviations in the earth that looked like the imprints of old foxholes — small pits dug by soldiers to hide themselves in battle. He would test the ground for landmines, then use a stake to gauge how soft the soil was and therefore how likely it was to conceal decomposed human remains.

Finally, Happell writes in his account of Nishimura’s mission, he “would go to work with his shovel and garden hoe removing sand and soil which had built up over 40 years. The bodies were rarely buried deeper than a metre. Often, soldiers just dropped where they were shot; occasionally they were spreadeagled on top of each other.”

At Giruwa beach he found 120 bodies, and at Buna and Gona, two small towns not far away on the coast, he dug up 60 skeletons. At Waju he recovered a further 30 to 35 bodies. After just a few years of digging, his house became an ossuary for the forgotten Japanese soldiers of New Guinea.

As his work took him further afield, Nishimura was saddened to discover that in several places opportunists had assembled Japanese skulls and war effects in morbid displays to attract passing tourists. The Japanese Government knew about this but had done nothing to stop it.

A Japanese professor of humanities, Utsumi Aiko, was equally appalled to discover the amount of unclaimed Japanese remains being shown by small-time entrepreneurs on a recent visit to the Indonesian island of Biak. Of the 2.1 million Japanese military dead, she wrote, "1,160,000 of them are still not repatriated. With close to half of the dead in overseas battle zones, we greeted the 50th, then the 60th year after the war. Even now some 600,000, it is said, are retrievable.

“Why in the world don’t we retrieve them? Why aren’t the bereaved families urgently concerned about the bones of their relatives?” Nishimura was sure the families did care. But he knew most felt helpless to do anything without government assistance. That was where he planned to make a difference.

Occasionally dog tags, dental work and other unusual markers would enable him to identify remains. He hoped to one day submit bones he could not identify for DNA analysis — a fledgling science in the middle years of his work, but more recently a useful tool in identifying war remains.

On frequent trips back to Japan, Nishimura would spend days tracking down long-grieving relatives of soldiers whose effects he had found on his digs. “I can’t describe the feeling I had at seeing tears of relief. They were finally reunited with the sons who had never come home from war,” he said. Among the haul was a lunch box he had inscribed for his training instructor, Lieutenant Yoshiyuki Morimoto, 40 years earlier, which he dug up in an empty field.

As the maverick crusader’s reputation spread around Japan, he received more requests for help from families keen to recover their loved ones. One man, Kokichi Morimoto, travelled to New Guinea himself to search for his lost father Toshio and, when excavating a vegetable field, uncovered the remains of more than 100 Japanese soldiers. “The skeletons appearing from the soil just broke my heart,” Morimoto said afterwards. “Just imagine how it must have been to be abandoned for so many years in the middle of nowhere so far away from home.”

It was not until 1988 that Nishimura finally returned to Efogi, the site of the Battle of Brigade Hill, where his battalion had been wiped out in some of the fiercest fighting of the Pacific War. With the help of curious locals, he spent several days digging around the sticky red earth of the Kokoda Trail battleground. At first the hard work uncovered nothing. Nishimura began to give up hope. “Finally I struck black soil and then I found some charred bones nearby. Then I realised what had happened; the Australians had burnt hundreds of bodies to stop the unbearable stench,” he says. "It was devastating. This had been a special mission for me. All I could do was to take some of the ash away in tins. Now it is at the Gokoku Shrine at Kochi, so at least I know my old friends are resting safely back at their home with their families.

Continued

An even greater blow came a few years later. In 1994, the Japanese ambassador to New Guinea, Tadashi Masui, told Nishimura that while the Japanese Government appreciated his work, it wanted him to hand over his collection of bones. It would be a symbolic gesture to mark the 50th anniversary of the end of the war the following year, Masui said. Nishimura agreed, but only because he felt the ambassador had implicitly assured him that Japan would make every effort to identify the remains, which amounted to more than 200 bodies. Instead it cremated them and interred them at Chidorigafuchi Cemetery in Tokyo.

“Throughout all these years, there were many setbacks,” Nishimura said. “But the biggest obstacles were put in my way by Japan, which showed either neglect for the thousands of young men who died in its name, or deceit. It brought tears to my eyes to think that my country could do this.”

Eventually, after its most loyal subject became ill and returned to Tokyo in late 2005, the Government cremated the remainder of the skeletons he had retrieved and sent the ashes to Chidorigafuchi.

As Happell sees it, many Australians will still feel as though the Japanese were a "barbaric enemy, and they were. They had an uncommon bloodlust and their treatment of POWs was appalling. I’m not trying to dress them up as anything else.

“But, in Nishimura, they may possibly find a Japanese soldier to empathise with. If nothing else, he certainly took the concept of ‘mateship’ to another level.”

The Japanese lost about 13,000 soldiers on the Kokoda Trail and beaches to the north. That was more than three times the number of casualties suffered by the Allies.

But monuments to the Japanese dead are few and most of them are in disrepair. So in 1989, Nishimura erected his own at Efogi to all the soldiers killed at New Guinea, regardless of which side they fought on. The headstone, in Japanese kanji characters inscribed by monks from Tokyo’s Zenshoan Temple, reads simply: “To The Loyal War Dead.”

Strangely, it was this tribute that prompted the Kochi-New Guinea Association of war veterans to eject Nishimura from its ranks, for acting without authority. As his lifelong friend and fellow New Guinea veteran Sadashige Imanishi said before his death last year: “We don’t tolerate unique people very well in Japan.”

Nor does Nishimura have much time for Japan: he feels the country that he once loved has lost its soul, and is now “a country in name only”. Foreigners might still see Japan as a nation with a profound sense of its own distinctive culture, he said, but that impression was “merely a facade”.

Young Japanese were now more concerned with Western fashion, mobile phones and iPods than their own history: “Soon I will be gone, and others like me too. Who will be left to remember?”

Justin Norrie is Japan correspondent. The Bone Man of Kokoda, by Charles Happell (Macmillan Australia, $32.95), is in bookstores from Tuesday.

As the book isn’t out yet I don’t know if these points mentioned in the article are covered.

Nishimura refers to Japanese eating enemy dead. Some of the Australian POW’s were dead when some Japanese butchered them on Kokoda, others died in the process, but the Japanese got hardly any, maybe no, Allied prisoners to eat at the northern Papuan beachhead in the end battles, when they were really starving and on the defensive with few Allied troops ever caught behind their lines. This led to the Japanese eating their own dead (sources are captured Japanese diaries - can’t put my hands on those sources at the moment as I can’t be bothered standing up (I may not even be able to :D) but I think there may be excerpts in Peter Brune’s excellent books or, if one has to refer to lesser works by a journalist, Paul Ham’s book - and Allied troops’ observations, e.g.Colonel Stan Sly and Captain Donald Simonson, http://ajrp.awm.gov.au/ajrp/ajrp2.nsf/pages/NT00009526?openDocument). Maybe Nishimura didn’t want it to come out that the Japanese were eating their own dead, it being somewhat inconsistent with his mission of returning the supposedly highly revered Japanese dead to their families.

The reference to brief resistance at ‘New England’ means nothing to me. The nearest New England to the Japanase advance I know of was well into southern Australia, while they never got within range of hoping to be in range of the American one.

The reference to New England seems to me to refer to the attack on Rabaul in New Britain, where Nishimura’s 144th Regiment distinguised itself in the glorious massacre of about 125 unarmed Australian POW’s and civilians in the Tol Plantation massacre. p. 4 at http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~warcrime/documents/Sissons%20Final%20War%20Crimes%20Text%2018-3-06.pdf Such events promoted a reciprocal brutality at times, as outlined in my link on cannibalism. It doesn’t follow that Nishimura was involved or there, or necessarily even knew about it (I’ll stay sceptical on that last point) as the 144th was a large unit which had a small element involved in the Tol massacre.

A rarely understood aspect of Japanese bayonet massacres or just isolated bayoneting or beheading of enemies and civilians is that it was often just part of Japanese military training in the field, getting troops used to such actions to build up their martial spirit in the bastardised samurai tradition the militarists had created. Nothing personal! :evil:

Why journalists writing about things they don’t understand pisses me off!

Not least among his objectives was a yearning to recover the bodies of the close friends from his own platoon, all 55 of whom were killed on the Kokoda Track. Most of these soldiers, from Kochi or Ehime on the island of Shikoku, were mowed down by Australian machine-gun fire in the horrific Battle of Brigade Hill, on September 8, 1942.

Seventeen days later, when the Australians had worn down the exhausted and malnourished Japanese within sight of Port Moresby, Major-General Tomitaro Horii reluctantly ordered them to retreat. It was the turning point in the Pacific War.

A rather curious view of the Japanese success at Brigade Hill and their relentless advance to within sight of Moresby.

A somewhat ‘pro-Japanese as victims’ description which is exactly the opposite of what would have, rightly, been proclaimed in Japan if it had won by virtue of its soldiers’ great spirit and impressive advance towards Moresby.

Brigade Hill was a determined and successful tactical assault by skilful and determined, if under supplied (just like their original Australian opponents) Japanese troops. It was a Japanese tactical success, like everything else that happened until Horii was ordered to retreat, although not a strategic success.

The reason for Gen Horii’s order is implied to be defeat of the worn out and exhausted Japanese, as if they’re the victims, but of course it wasn’t.

It was largely the Americans threatening Japanese success in Guadalcanal.

And poor Japanese planning to supply ever-extending LOC as they advanced southwards.

Potts ordered a “scorched earth” policy, with supply dumps destroyed before each retreat. HORII and his staff had assumed that rations would be captured and, when these stocks were destroyed, his men began running out of food. Nonetheless, they pressed on.
http://ajrp.awm.gov.au/ajrp/remember.nsf/Web-Printer/C9E34DD7E8B07DF8CA256AC000147591?OpenDocument

The only reason the Japanese were starving was because of Japanese supply doctrine. They were victims of their own stupidity, nobody else’s (which is just as well, as the Allies had still had stupidity to spare at that stage of the campaign ;).

In September 1942, HORII ordered serious ration restrictions. Rice rations were reduced to two-thirds of a pint for the physically active and half a pint for others. Commanders were urged to capture food supplies and live off the land. Foraging parties were organised. A few parachute drops of supplies were made but there was no real attempt to use aircraft to solve the supply problem. By October, requisitioning food from Papuans was failing as a strategy and even dried roots were being eaten. Discipline was breaking down – bags of rice were being stolen and supply units were consuming food intended for front-line units. Grass, roots and fruits that Papuans and Australians knew were inedible were being eaten by the Japanese. In mid-October a 41st Regiment document stated “officers and men realise the present condition of the formation cannot be helped. However, the men are gradually weakening in their physical condition due to lack of food and the continuous rain with no chance of recovery.” The Japanese captured tainted rations along the Kokoda Trail and ate them quickly resulting in stomach pains, internal problems and widespread dysentery.

The Japanese retreat back down the Kokoda Track was pitiful. They were famished, ill and weary. Unable to carry much, they left a trail of discarded equipment and comrades who were too badly wounded or sick to carry on. The Japanese were so short of rations that some had resorted to cannibalism. On the overland retreat from Sio to Wewak, tens of thousands of Japanese soldiers perished, mostly as a result of sickness and malnutrition. New Guinea was the place, “where soldiers are sent into the jungle without supplies.” This seems to have proven the Japanese saying that, “Java is heaven, Burma is hell, but you never come back alive from New Guinea.”
http://ajrp.awm.gov.au/ajrp/remember.nsf/pages/NT00005106

Anyone want to guess how those supplies were tainted?

A related non-IJA view

http://ajrp.awm.gov.au/ajrp/AJRP2.nsf/30017f4131c6b2acca256cfb0023646c/7f98853c86ed1ff0ca256d2b001b1142?OpenDocument

On the overland retreat from Sio to Wewak, tens of thousands of Japanese soldiers perished, mostly as a result of sickness and malnutrition. New Guinea was the place, “where soldiers are sent into the jungle without supplies.” This seems to have proven the Japanese saying that, “Java is heaven, Burma is hell, but you never come back alive from New Guinea.”

I should have been more careful with that somewhat florid part of the quote.

Obviously it refers to a much later stage of the campaign in New Guinea. Wewak being a long way and a long time away from Kokoda / Gona etc.

Japan lost only about 13,000 on Kokoda and Gona / Buna / Sanananda in late 1942 - January 1943, not the tens of thousands which came later with campaigns like Wewak.

Man,. very interesting article,… i will try to browse the book,…

however,… i hardly find any aussies(yourself) would type good things about japanese with regards to WW2,… I knew few aussies on other WW2 forum who hates japanese to the core,… as there is no a single thing good about Japanese during WW2,…

Cheers
G

For military skill and determination, the Japanese were generally the best troops in the conflict until late 1942, partly because they were the only battle hardened troops in the conflict until then. They remained excellent troops under increasingly adverse conditions as the war progressed.

They had some brilliant achievements at all tactical levels

Unfortunately their achievements are, in places like Australia and America which haven’t had 60 or so years of the denial and revisionism which Japan has wallowed in to avoid facing its war guilt, overshadowed by the mindless savagery and butchery under Nippon.

Too many instances of such savagery and butchery, which were and are completely alien to any Western conception of war and the treatment of military and civilian prisoners, have been seared into the national memory, whether it be the massacre of Australian nurses at Banka Island or the Toll Plantation massacre of Australian troops in Rabaul or Japanese eating Australian troops on Kokoda or wiring them to trees and hacking them death at Milne Bay or the relentless starvation and abuse and denial of Red Cross supplies which the bastards had stored up on the Burma Railway and in the coal mines in Japan and countless other examples result in many Australians being quite unforgiving towards Japan’s wartime conduct. But not so unforgiving as the Japanese, otherwise Japan’s streets would have been running with blood during the Occupation, if the Allies had treated the Japanese as they treated our military and civilians under Japanese control.

The current problem isn’t with the Japanese people as a whole but with a fairly small but powerful and recalcitrant nationalist and militarist element in Japanese government and society which maintains a victim ideology about Japan, which in part is a consequence of MacArthur and the communist threat and whole range of things which saw Japan keep its fascist elements alive where they were largely rooted out in Germany. It’s one of the reasons that, for example, displaying Nazi symbols in Germany is a criminal offence while the fascist elements in Japan has made an industry since WWII of producing sanitised histories and denying that it ever did anything wrong, while whinging that it was an innocent victim unfairly subjected to nuclear attack. This doesn’t go down well in places like Australia, America and most of all China which suffered the primitive barbarity which typifed Japan wherever it went in WWII so far as Westerners and Chinese were concerned.

That was a good article. I feel bad for the man, being kicked out of that club for acting on his own… But it is true: with the younger generations not caring,(I care!!!) who will there be to remember what happened.