Afghanistan's Suffering From American Neglect

During the cold war a US Senator by the name of Charles Wilson greatly helped out the war efforts in Afghanistan. He managed to change the amount of money America was putting in from $1 000 000 to $500 000 000 USD, he also helped get other countries like Pakistan involved and helping. Because of this help Afghanistan was able to purchase “Stingers” (anti vehicle weaponry) and take down many Soviet helicopters that had previously been unleashing mass firings on simple villages in Afghanistan, killing many. Now, after the war was over, they just forgot about the Afghans, it seems they’re only in it if they can benefit. This is one of the major contributing factors to Afghanistan’s current condition and war-torn state. My question to you is, do you think this is fair? Should America have supported Afghanistan post-war?
My opinion is it was a bad thing to do. Charles Wilson attempted to get a simple $1 000 000 to rebuild schools in Afghanistan but the US Senate turned it down. I know this isn’t the only factor but it does explain a lot.

Mod note: information in this post has been updated following the comments listed below, hence they might not now make sense.

I missed the end of that war. When did all our troops return? I need info now as Ivie got a few friends that are still there that may not know hostilities have ended.

krazed, are you talking about the Cold War? i honestly dont think so, becasue if you are talking about the current war. it is not over yet.

Um, WTF are you babbling on about?

I think that was for the installation of cable…

i think he is talking about the cold war, because this conversation makes no sence if he is talking about the current one. and nice statement “Um, WTF are you babbling on about?”

Talking about conversations that make no sense…We -the staff- noticed that you like playing with yourself. So, you’ll get the opportunity to tell us which one of your two accounts you want to keep (you know what I’m talking about). You now got 24 hours to PM me or one of the other mods to tell your choice otherwise we will have to delete both of your existing accounts.

Oh, we go to the same school, sorry for the confusion there :). And I am speaking of what Charlie Wilson did during the cold war and all his help, then his attempt at help but the other American’s neglect.

I did not think the US had much interest in Afghanistan until the Soviets were ‘invited in to help the democratically elected government’ during the Cold War.

The money (however much it was) well that was well spent if you go over there and see all the wrecked Vehicles and Aircraft from the Soviet ‘Peace keeping’, the highly motivated, well trained and equipped for their type of warfare insurgents still fighting today (along with their sons etc). It may not have had the intended consequence but that does not mean it was badly spent just badly managed in the first place like most ‘Aid’ in the cold war.

Well, glad to hear you go to school. However, it’s customary to state in your post a little bit of what your actually posting about.

In this particular case I didn’t have a clue and assumed that you were talking now and not then as my Tinfoil hat had slipped off and I temporarily lost my ability to predict the unknown.

so still i have the question, what war are we talking about? and just to clerify, niether accounts are getting banned, right?

Not yet, we’re going to wait and see with you/you two. We have had a significant number of people in the past creating two accounts to argue with each other/support each other when making a point (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_(Internet) ). Behave yourselves and you’ll be OK.

To amplify krazedkat’s post and for the illumination of all, he is referring to the fairly recently deceased Charlie Wilson etc as outlined in his obituary in the The Times.

From Times Online
February 11, 2010

Charlie Wilson, US politician who secretly funded CIA in Afghanistan, dies

Sophie Tedmanson

Charlie Wilson, the Texan Democrat who championed covert CIA support for Afghan Mujahidin in the 1980s and whose life was chronicled in a Hollywood film, has died. He was 76.

The controversial former congressman, known as “Good-time Charlie” for his hard-partying ways, died of a heart attack in a Texas hospital late yesterday.

He was taken to hospital after suffering breathing problems following a meeting in Lufkin, the eastern Texas town where he lived, according to a hospital spokeswoman. He was pronounced dead on arrival, and the preliminary cause of death was cardiopulmonary arrest.

Mr Wilson served 12 consecutive terms in the House of Representatives, and was often referred to as the “Liberal from Lufkin”.

He sat on a key House subcommittee and helped to secure huge increases in funding for CIA efforts to help Afghan Mujahidin fighting Soviet occupation forces after the 1979 invasion.

The movie Charlie Wilson’s War, which chronicled his efforts, starred Tom Hanks as Mr Wilson and Julia Roberts as the Houston socialite Joanne Herring who helped him to win support for the secret war.

Hanks portrayed Mr Wilson – who was known for hiring attractive young women to staff his congressional office in Washington – as a boozy womaniser who found his life’s cause in helping the anti-Soviet forces in Afghanistan.

On a less flattering side, the movie opens with Mr Wilson in a hot tub in a Las Vegas hotel, flanked by two strippers who are high on cocaine. In 1980 the US Justice Department investigated Mr Wilson for possible drug use, but no charges were made.

“The feds spent a million bucks trying to figure out whether, when those fingernails passed under my nose, did I inhale or exhale, and I ain’t telling,” Mr Wilson told the author George Crile, who included the material in his book, Charlie Wilson’s War: The Extraordinary Story of the Largest Covert Operation in History, on which the film was based.

Mr Wilson said that the film played down his unlikely career. “I had the most fun of my life making that movie and, believe me, I have had a lot of fun in my life," he said.

As a long-time member of the House Appropriations Committee, Mr Wilson quietly helped to steer billions of dollars to the CIA, which distributed the funds to buy Afghan fighters high-tech weapons such as Stinger missiles, which were used to shoot down Soviet helicopter gunships.

“I just saw the opportunity to grab the sons o’bitches by the throat,” the fiercely anti-communist Mr Wilson told the Dallas Morning News in a 2007 interview.

Robert Gates, the US Defence Secretary, said that when he was director of the CIA he knew Mr Wilson, who “was working tirelessly on behalf of the Afghan resistance fighting the Soviets”.

Mr Gates said in a statement released overnight: “As the world now knows, his efforts and exploits helped repel an invader, liberate a people, and bring the Cold War to a close.

"After the Soviets left, Charlie kept fighting for the Afghan people and warned against abandoning that traumatised country to its fate — a warning we should have heeded then, and should remember today.”

After the Soviet withdrawal, Mr Wilson expressed reservations about the American decisions to cut funds to Afghanistan, which he blamed for creating a void that led to the rising influence of Osama bin Laden and al-Qaeda, the Islamic militant group accused of the attacks on the US of September 11, 2001.

Mr Wilson was born in Trinity, Texas, in 1933, attended the US Naval Academy, and served in the US Navy. He was elected to the Texas legislature and went on to serve in the US House from 1973. He retired from Congress in 1997.

In 2007, he underwent a heart transplant.

He is survived by his wife Barbara and sister Sharon Allison.

Representative David Obey, the Democratic chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, described Mr Wilson as “a man of courage and conviction who worked hard, loved his country, and lived life to the fullest”.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article7022817.ece

thank you for that clerification, i was slightly confused.

To any one that was confused I am talking about the Cold War, thus the reason I posted this in the COLD WAR section! There should be no confusion, that’s why there are categories. Anyways, Charlie Wilson was a USA Senator that helped Afghanistan defeat the Soviets.

Quote by krazedkat: "To any one that was confused I am talking about the Cold War, thus the reason I posted this in the COLD WAR section! There should be no confusion, that’s why there are categories. Anyways, Charlie Wilson was a USA Senator that helped Afghanistan defeat the Soviets.

Opening a thread with a factless and punitive statement will certainly be confusing, and give readers the idea you are stirring the pot, and have no intention towards mature, reasoned, dialog. No one here wants to dance to that tune, so dont try playing it again.

Sorry, I will edit the Original Post with some more info.