Aichi 'Val' going down...

I know, this is no modelling forum, but then yesterday my 70" Aichi Val went down after a midair with a P-47… Both planes totalled :frowning:
At least I still have some nice pictures of my model. Should please Japanese Navy freaks.
Did you know the ‘Val’ is the axi’s plane that destroyed the most allied vessels during the war? Not bad for a 1930’s vintage bird!

The model had first the colors of the Pearl Harbor period, then after being damaged it was repainted with the red tail the aircraft was wearing during the China campaign in 1938. The white lines on the stab were no artwork, they were used by the gunner/navigator to estimate the drift of the plane. Some pilots were able to stretch their sea patrols for ten hours, using thermal lift currents to spare gasoline. At the time it was quite an acheivement :shock:

Those are beautiful pictures! Looks like you have a nice play to fly it too.

Thanks Admin :slight_smile:

I really like designing and building scale models of ‘forgotten’ birds. Flying them is also great; it is amazing how much the models fly like the real thing. The Val could dive vertical and still maintain a reasonable airspeed, just like the full-scale. Very impressive!

However, it takes a fair amount of accurate documentation to get it right, especially the painting. I already found some very useful info for my next project on WW2IC, thanks to some fine members of these forums :wink:

Wow…Nice looking Val OrionRider, sorry to hear such a beautiful model was destroyed. One of the reasons I got into ship building.

All very nice models. The Val is excellent and the Ships too, what are the Ships Mike, A Cruiser and a Battleship I think?

Thanks Mike :slight_smile:

These battleships of yours are HUGE! The one on the right looks definitely German, with the segmented camouflage.

I also like ships but I don’t have much space so the only one I did was the U-Boot TypVII C-41 (Revell kit).

Hello Guys,
The one on the left is the BB North Carolina and the other is a Geraing DD…still unnamed, gotta name it soon.

Edited to add…great looking sub