Aircraft fighters from the Cold War

As in all the areas from millitary in the Cold War, the fighters become better and better very quickly in this stage from the century. Here some beautiful pics from all those fighters that filled the skies from the United States, Europe and the Soviet Union…

It’s not my intention to tell you which were those planes, I suppouse all of you know them, but I’d like to show some nice pics from those lovely machines, and of course you are allowed to post yours!

United States

F-15 Eagle

F-16 Fighting Falcon

F-4 Phantom II

F-14 Tomcat

Europe

Panavia Tornado

British Aerospace Harrier

Sepecat Jaguar

Dassault Mirage 2000

Soviet Union

Mikoyan Gurevic MiG-21 Fishbed

Mikoyan Gurevic MiG-25 Foxbat

Mikoyan Gurevic MiG-29 Fulcrum

Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker

I like this one

Wow… My so loved Eagle… Excellent pic.

The Eagle is my favorite fighter of all time…

I almost wish the USAF had gone with the upgrade to the F-15 (which included thrust vectoring) instead of the ultra-expensive F-22 Raptor…

And my favorite is the SR-71 Blackbird

This is the unique aircraft for ther characteristics and outward view.

Two of my favourite aircraft of all time… The Lightning looked fantastic and performed brilliantly, but was virtually useless as a fighter due to a total lack of payload and range. The Victor is possibly the best medium bomber of all time, and if it had been updated would still be effective today.

How about the fighter that never was? The Canadian Avro CF-105 Arrow, designed to be an interceptor, the project was scrapped in favor of THE UGLY F-101 VOODOO?!:shock:

Many Canadians today claim that the aircraft would have been the best, most advance interceptor bar none, and was only canceled due to purely political reasons involving back room deals with the US:

Today, the prototypes are still missing…

And what about XB-70 “Valkyrie” project of trans-sound transcontinentall bomber that crashed during the test fly and the program was closed?
Have you the photo?

Of course:

Here’s an interesting clip on the F-15.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/F15.wmv

oh it was really cool mashine;)
What was the reason of catastrophe, do you know?
I/ve read this uber-bomber was specially created to overcome the soviet AAA- rocket defence system.
Soviets after they have learned about Valkiria immediatelly begin the program of MiG-25 ,the most world’s speedy fighter at that time.

Pilot error - IIRC the chase plane got too close and got eaten by the tip vortex, being thrown into the Valkyrie prototype.

hmm.
So if it was the lack of pilot - why the project was soon closed?

Robert Strange MacNamara had decided prior to the crash that Missiles were fantastically cheap and could go through any defence system (neither of which is true, incidentally). Given the type of man he was, once he made his mind up that was it and the project was cancelled totally. The two prototypes were kept flying by NASA as research vehicles, and indeed when the second prototype crashed it was taking part in a company photoshoot.

Well the same was in the USSR when Krushev has desided to cut off the Soviet Strateric Airforces and aviation at all.
This was time the the “cheap rockets rulled”.

The Soviets also built a very similar aircraft prototype that was an SR-71-type, massively large and fast interceptor that was almost as big as its prey, in response. But I think it was massively unstable and barely flew…

As PDF said, it was pilot error. But also the program was massively expensive, and the time of the overflight bomber was coming to an end…

Of course, B-52s with cruise missiles have a new lease on life…