All These Spammers!

I’m not on this site all that often, but it seems that I’m banning two or three user-ID spammers alone. FTC and TG probably ban more people than I do, so. It is getting a bit cumbersome…

Is it time to consider making some sort of changes? Is our security compromised? Do we need updates? Should we consider a temp. new member freeze for a while to prevent spammers from activating accounts for a while? Maybe use email notification for activation?

I agree, I sign on to find a couple spammers modifying their profiles, ban them only to find 2 more have signed on in the meantime and doing the same thing. I dont know what if any impediments are available, but it is something that needs to be adressed.(not that I mind banning miscreants)

I’m currently banning app. 5-10 each day. Most of them won’t do no further harm though, just a bit of advertising on their profile page.

Could we require new member’s pages etc. to be moderated prior to being posted ? not being able to make immediate posts for a week might make us less attractive to the wee devils.

The problem is that they create bogus profiles with the hope of having a link to their page. They don’t want to spam in the forums. They simply want to have a link to their site. This isn’t done manually, but through a program called xrumer, which does thousands per hour.

I honestly wouldn’t bother banning them, since they don’t post any links in their profiles. It would be easier to just do it once a month from the admin/mod control panel.

Wow! We got about 70 spam registrations within the last 24 hours! Seems to be a major attack.:slight_smile:
I saw about 4 spam threads were started…

I’m a bit busy now…I’ll see if there is a better anti-spam solution in a few days.

They are coming in droves it seems, random gibberish for usernames, must be as Procyon said all done via software. Deal with 5, and more are waiting. dont know if any other sites are getting this.

Well, whatever is happening, TG deserves big thanks for stemming the tide.

clap clap clap.

Oh Geez, now I’m blushing, I owe it all to having no life in the cold months, and the new Ban Hammer My son gave me for Christmas

Err, what are you doing with the small fist at the end of the stick?

thats for when using the other end on their heads doesnt work the first time.:shock:

This is the actual hammer I was gifted.

I see. I was just realising once again that in English language “fist” can be a verb as well.:shock:

Thats the fun part of American English, pretty much any word can be used any way one likes. Its almost like a secret code…

Ok, I’ve installed a script…we’ll see if it works or not.

One hopes it will.

TG deserves a holiday.

I’m afraid that fist as a verb is not unique to America.

A fair bit of fisting goes on down here, in (and I use ‘in’ as it seems the most appropriate term) all of the non-traditional genders, being GLBTI = gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, transexual, and intersex.

Oh, and what used to be GLBTI has, down here at least, recently been modified to GLBTIQ.

Q is for Questioning. I think it refers to people who, so far as their sexuality is concerned, have no ****ing where they fit in. So to speak.

Here we call that type a politician, they dont seem to care who they screw… As to holidays, there is 2 inches of snow on the ground which in Tennessee is akin to the Apocalypse, (or a herd of rabbits in Oz.) so I have time to spend here (tending the still)