American military intervention in Russia

One conflict that I am curious about but have not heard much about on this site is the military intervention in Russia by the US, Britain and Japan (possibly others as well?) from 1918 to the 1920s. I was wondering if people think that sending soldiers into Russia was the wrong decision and if so what prompted the intervention? Given the cold war rhetoric at this site I am surprised this conflict is not mentioned more often.

It was called operation Archangel, and I believe was to keep open a supply-line around Vladivostok to Russian White Forces during the Civil War. Sort of a punitive action against the Reds after they negotiated a peace with the Germans. Moving to the “Cold War” section.

Good thread though!

It was a chaotic era (especially in Russia) and the WWI Western Front got most of the headlines. After WWI ended the North Russian Campaign became very unpopular in UK, and several soldiers on the front refused to fight.

There were handful of reasons why troops were sent there in the first place: get hold of allied warmaterials there, beat Bolshevism, rescue the Czech Legion, re-create eastern front, German troops landing in Finland in 1918…

_

While this is a conflict involving westerners vs Russians it did not occur in the time period classified by some as the cold war. Does it really belong in the cold war section?

I suppose the WWI section might be a better fit? Ordinarily, the Off-Topic Militaria forum is used for more contemporary issues and topics…