Among the Dead Cities

This book by the philosopher A.C Grayling asks whether the Allied bombing campaign against Germany and Japan
was a necessity or a crime against humanity.

It covers the Bomber War, the experience of the bombed, the mind of the bomber,
voices of conscience, the case against the bombing, the defence of area bombing.

The book starts with the introduction, ‘Was it a Crime?’ and finishes with the chapter, ‘Judgement’.

There are maps: ‘Extent of the destruction of German cities and towns, 1945.’
‘Principle bombing targets in Germany’ and ‘Principle Japanese cities targeted by the US Air Force, 1944-1945.’

There is an Appendix: ‘Schedule of RAF bombing attacks on Germany, with civilian casualties caused and RAF loses sustained.’
There are extensive notes and a plate section.

Among the Dead Cities is an important book by one of Britain’s leading philosophers that gives a vigorous insight
into one of the most morally complex issues of our time.

I’ve just finished reading this book.

The conclusion reached is that Allied area bombing was a ‘moral crime’, and that area bombing was,
‘neither necessary nor proportional’. And that air crews should have refused to carry out area bombing raids.

Its all too easy to pass moral judgements from 60 years in the future. Did it mention any Axis bombings and the morals of this?

The only German raid it mentions in any detail is Rotterdam.
And even then it says the raid was a mistake and that the bombers
had been recalled after the Dutch surrender, and that flares were fired alerting the crews to abort the raid.

Ah, so the fact that the Germans firebombed UK cities before the UK started its Bombing Campaign is forgotten about?

In the modern world with precision weapons civilians still die, not so many but they do.

In 1943 precision was measured in miles at times. So what were the Allies to do, not bomb? I dont think so! The bombing campaign in Europe helped create victory by forcing the Nazis onto the defensive in their own country.

The war has to be taken in the whole context, not just one campaign, its no use moralising on the Allied bombing campaign while at the same time the Nazis were killing millions in extermination facilities!

No mention of Stalingrad and Belgrade then? Funny that.

I suggest you read the text of the (1907?) Hague convention as it relates to bombardment of cities to see if it was a crime under the laws of the time - the Avalon project at IIRC Yale law school has a good copy of it online.

Incidentally, my attitude is that it was both a crime and a necessity (war is like that).
Until the development of nuclear weapons, the only way to reliably knock out production in a city was to destroy the centre of the city (knocking out utilities and the like in the process) - precision bombing of factories very rarely had any lasting effect. The British knew from their experience of being bombed what worked and what didn’t. IIRC the most effective Luftwaffe raid of the war in terms of knocking out war production was the one which flattened the centre of Coventry.

For the record I’m a great supporter of the bomber war.

To be blunt, Bomber Command didn’t do anything the Luftwaffe hadn’t done.
Bomber Command just had the means to do it better.

That might sound cold, but it’s true.

… Me too cash.

Those Bomber Command boys never got the respect, honour and campaign medal they earnt and deserved.

I have the book, though I’m yet to read it, but it will interesting to see how she arrived at such a view.

Needless to say war is a moral crime in itself.