Ancestors' WW2-related documents

I thought it would be very interesting to show and share information about WW2 related documents of every nation involved. There should be plenty of interesting things to watch and discuss. I like to start with the OKW’s (Oberkommando der Wehrmacht, Supreme command of the Wehrmacht) notice of loss of my grand-uncle Arnold E. Out of discretion reason I allowed to “censor” the family name, exact birth date and address.

I think we would be very thankful for you to see this unique document in english translation…

Of course, I will start ASAP.

I abstain from translating the letterhead which should even in german explain itself.
"The inquiry office of the Wehrmacht regrets to confirm to you that Oberschütze Arnold E., born 1920 in M., member of the Heer, after his capture on November 23rd 1941 in Sghifet en Nbeidat (Africa) drowned on a sea transport operated by the English from Tobruk (Libya, the author) to Egypt.
He gave his life for Führer and Reich (no need to translate I assume, the author). The day of the death of your brother (wrong, should be “your son”, the author) won’t assumedly be announced by the enemy-state of England until the end of the hostilities.
The inquiry office of the Wehrmacht cordially condoles with you and your kin on the heavy loss that struck you. By order, signature. "

I hope I was able to translate it in a way everbody can understand. Sorry for any grammatical and word order errors.

Very interesting.

I should add that the transport ship that should bring the german POW’s via Egypt to England was sunk by a german u-boat. So my grand-uncle actually was killed by “friendly fire”. Of course the fact that a german u-boat was responsible for the death of god-knows-how-much captured german soldiers was unbearable for the german general public. My grandparents were informed by the International Red Cross about the details of the incident.

Very sad official document.
Here in Russian almost every family lost someone during the ww2.
My grand-dad also died in 1942 somewhere in Kuban. Not always it was possible to learn the exact plase and reason of death.Usially the “Pohoronka” we called in such way the official Armies document confirmation of death.
Unfortinately all the documents and photos have been lost during the fire in mid 1950-yy in my grendmather’s house.
BTw have you photo od you grand-uncle?

i will try to find documents on my great grand father who was a captain for the us military i am trying to find out what branch he was in its either marines or the army

Chevan, please take a look at my personal profile. In my ww2-related family pictures album there is one portrait photo of my grand-uncle. Unfortunately it’s the only existing one.

A letter from the Wife’s Grand Father about liberation day when he fought with the resistance. His friend was killed and the man next to him wounded by an SS man. He only thought he survived because the man’s gun jammed.
I have posted a picture of his FFI armband in the pictures section.

I have some WW2 related documents but most of them are not scanned yet.
Right now I have this one one at hand:

Romania, town Timisoara, 20-Dec-1944
The text reads:“To Papa and Mama from their son Yurii. Given in the years of the Great Patrioticwar of Soviet people. Romania. Timisoara, 20-XII-1944.

A few more photos here: http://community.livejournal.com/ww2_photographs/233197.html

Great album.

Большое спасибо!

My grand-uncle Arnolds' service record
Cover:

Personal data:

Education & schooling: Gewehr 98k, light machine gun MG34, NCO seminar at Düsseldorf from February 6th to April 10th 1941

Acceded battles, engagements and operations, handwritten by the company commander Hauptmann (captain) ???: transfer to North Africa, fightings for the stronghold of Tobruk, siege of Tobruk, Battle of the Cyrenaica (british Operation Crusader), Tank battle south of Sidi Rezegh a. o.

Inspired by Flame I dug out a load of my stuff, but rather than upload them twice I have put family photos, documents and memorabillia on my personal profile page. Please feel free to visit. They are not all WWII but I’m sure you’ll still find them interesting.