anniversary of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

It has been 60 years now since the mass destruction act done by USA.
On August 6 and 9, 1945, the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were destroyed.
80,000 people were killed instantly.
90% of all doctors and nurses in Hiroshima were killed or injured .
Out of the city’s 55 hospitals, only 3 were usable after the blast.
48,000 out of 76,000 buildings were destroyed.
By 1950, 200,000 people had died as a result of the bomb.
Between 1950 and 1980, a further 97,000 people died from cancers associated with the radiation
Only last year 4977 people died.

It has been said, “one day mankind will create a weapon of destruction so aweful, so horrifying that he will be scared to use it and war will be a thing of the past.”

I watched the News special report on Hiroshima and there have been surviving people that have had mutated children, its really terrible.

Moral.

Don’t go raping Nan King and generally acting like a bunch of c*cks if you don’t want your kids to have two heads. :smiley:

The nuking of the Japanese homeland was indeed a terrible thing. But it really was the best way.

Could you imagine the carnage had the allies been forced to invade Japan. Many fine men would have died, as they had done throughtout the war.

In this way the allies did what they had to, preserved the lives of their own.

Note: It is pretty much impossible to distinguish between cancers that would happen anyway and those that are due to radiation exposure. This is simply because cancers happen at random anyway, and have multiple causes (chemical, radiological or viral).
Oh, and all the radiation-induced effects at Hiroshima/Nagasaki are thought to be due to the initiation itself - fallout is not thought to be responsible for any deaths, simply because there was so little of it.

1000ysstare is right, think of the death-toll both American and Japanese if the US went with the invasion of Japan. About 200,000 est casualties would have occurred for allies, and not to mention the Japanese too,

i say nuke’em was right, you don’t want to fight 40 million of these guys:

i heard it would be estimated at 5 million losses combined.

Yes it did win the war, but im not here to debate on the fact wether they should or not of dropped the bomb, but to remember the anniversary of the first nuclear bomb ever tested and ever used on human kind.

Why USA dont drop bomb on military target not on inocent peoples .

Ummm… it was a military target. Hiroshima was the Army Headquarters for the southern half of Japan, and was a major port/transit area for troops. Nagasaki was the secondary target for the second bomb (the Kokura arsenal was the primary target), and there it was aimed at the Mitsubishi torpedo factory.
Finally, it’s very hard to argue that the Japanese were innocent people - Japan started the war, had behaved brutally wherever they conquered, and refused to surrender even when militarily defeated. In a total war (such as WW2) the enemy’s warmaking potential is a legitimate target, and since virtually the entire Japanese economy was given over to this at one time (many people had distributed parts of factories in their homes - making their homes legitimate military targets according to the Geneva and Hague conventions) there will be very few “innocents”.

The Japs took the war to their hearts.

Civilians would fight alongside and in lieu of troops if needed.

Best not to talk about Banzi cliff, I think.

Thens theres the story of the wife who killed herself and her kids so that her husband could volunteer for the Kamikaze!!! He had been refused because of the fact he was married with kids.

In essence the whole country was a target.

Ummm… it was a military target. Hiroshima was the Army Headquarters for the southern half of Japan, and was a major port/transit area for troops. Nagasaki was the secondary target for the second bomb (the Kokura arsenal was the primary target), and there it was aimed at the Mitsubishi torpedo factory.
Finally, it’s very hard to argue that the Japanese were innocent people - Japan started the war, had behaved brutally wherever they conquered, and refused to surrender even when militarily defeated. In a total war (such as WW2) the enemy’s warmaking potential is a legitimate target, and since virtually the entire Japanese economy was given over to this at one time (many people had distributed parts of factories in their homes - making their homes legitimate military targets according to the Geneva and Hague conventions) there will be very few “innocents”.[/quote]

Nagasaki was accually a diversion target, and yes it was aimed at the place where the “Swimming Torpedos” were created but the guy was aimming for a race track that was really a stadium. The original target was somewhere in Northern Japan I think, but the weather was too cloudy for them to make and comfirm a drop, because if it didn’t explode, the Japanese might have found it, test on it, and duplicate it.

Salute!!!

It´s true…but Hiroshima and Nagasaki is a historic fact forever to be remembered ,of that the war compels the men to make.

Remember, still we live under the shade of the nuclear threat.

Although I think that the MADness has managed to keep the nukes under wraps.

Our biggest worry now from Nuclear weapons is terrorist dirty bombs.

The little demonstration of Hiroshima and Nagasaki arguably avoided nuclear bombs being used in Korea on a much larger scale.

And really, what is the moral difference between a 1000 bomber raid dropping 13,000 tonnes of TNT in one night and one bomber dropping a 13kT yield nuke? The effect’s the same, it’s just that one is instant.

Not including fall out and the longer lasting physical and physiological affects of nukes, of course.

Them pictures are really sad crossbones buddy, see what mankind can do to one another, its just aweful.

The Japanese wouldn’t surrender if the USA didn’t drop the bombs because the Japanese soldiers think of “surrendering” as a weak cowardly act and they will suffer for it.

In some ways it was a very correct decision to drop the bomb (No death of those 5 million people estimated and so…) but, you know, even in times of war is sad what they did with the civilians (Yeah, I’ve read what you say about factories at home, but I still can’t believe :wink: ). It is just as sad as the Brit&American Bombings of Germany, just trying to weak people by making them morally vulnerable. Japan was the same thing, I know, but in Hamburg the direct effects of the bombs on people would last ¿One month? on the worse wounded, whereas in Nagasaki or Hiroshima, even today, th radiation effects are still there fucking around those people.

Yeah, they wouldn’t surrender indeed. Japanese were, and are, very special when an occidental tries to understand them. It’s odd at the film “Bridge over the River Kwai” when the japanese “boss” tells about how a big shit is the Geneve Treaty and all those treaties…

Yeah, they wouldn’t surrender indeed. Japanese were, and are, very special when an occidental tries to understand them. It’s odd at the film “Bridge over the River Kwai” when the japanese “boss” tells about how a big shit is the Geneve Treaty and all those treaties…[/quote]

Yeah :lol: ive seen that movie, but in real life the Japanese are really courageous.
By the Way Welcome to the site adleos, like your signature and remember if you need any help with anything your welcome to ask me :wink: :wink:

Ok, guys. I have long time personal connections to a country, which was occupied by the Japanese during WW2 and has seen violent fighting.
I’m speaking about the Republic of the Philippines. My first wife came from there, I have a teenage daughter, who is half Filipina, and my girlfriend of the last five years comes from there as well (different province though).
I have been there a few times (well away from tourist spots, living with the family in a rural village and in a provincial capital).

From what I have heard and what I understand, the behaviour of Japanese troops varied big time, depending largely on the unit commander and on the individual soldiers.
Unlike in Germany, with the Lebensraum politics and the ideology of the Aryan race, there was no master plan to exterminate whole populations in industrial scale.

On the other hand, since the late 1920s, the Japanese population has been indoctrinated more and more by propaganda about the superiority of the Japanese and their entitlement to rule Asia. This was mainly pushed forward by a conglomerate of Japanese industrialists, who wanted access to cheap raw materials, and rightwing militaries, who felt cheated from their spoils of being on the winning side in WW1. They considered that, by being a victorious country fighting on the Allied side, they should, similar to France and Britain, who divided the former German colonies in Africa up between themselves or the remains of the Ottoman empire , have been rewarded with territory. This never happened during the Versailles conference.

Starting in the mid 1920s, Japanese politicians, who openly oposed the rightwing hardline course, were assasinated. From the early 1930s on, after Japan became defacto a military dictatorship, a “thought police” was founded to root out all opposition, which in the end came mainly from the banned Japanese Communist Party.

From this time on, Japanese children were raised under constant propaganda how great they are. At the same time corporal punishment was a standard means of discipline in the Japanese forces, e.g. a soldier had to stand to attention and have his sergeant beat a hobnailed boot into his face.
They were also drilled that any surrender was dishonourable, not only for themselves, but for their whole family.
In some units, recruits were forced to bayonet prisoners to “harden” them. Refusal was considered refusing to obey orders, with all consequences.
Similar things happened to young officrs, who were forced to behead prisoners to show that they were “real men”.
Also, concerning the will to fight to the last bullet, the Japanese were under a constant propaganda stream about the Allies, that the Allied Soldiers would kill and rape. This was one reason why e.g. so many Japanese women killed themselves in Saipan. They beleived the stories from their own propaganda that they would be gangraped by US Marines.

Now back to the Philippines:
There was widely varying behaviour. On one hand I’ve heard stories from my ex grandmother in law about babies being used for bayonet practice, on the other hand I have heard stories about different units in different provinces, who actually helped the local population, behaved themselves and were in such a good relation, that there were actually marriages between Japanese soldiers and local women.

Jan

Whilst i do agree with you , the only part i disagree is …

From this time on, Japanese children were raised under constant propaganda how great they are. At the same time corporal punishment was a standard means of discipline in the Japanese forces, e.g. a soldier had to stand to attention and have his sergeant beat a hobnailed boot into his face.
They were also drilled that any surrender was dishonourable, not only for themselves, but for their whole family.

I believe the Samurais came to the thought it was dishonourable and cowardly and it has simply followed tradition.

The Samurais were evicted from power after the Satsuma rebellion in 1877 of conservative Samurai against the emperor Meiji, who wanted to modernise his country.

The samurai class as such became banned, wearing swords was banned.

The military leaders (and btw, the leaders of the industrial conglomerates) often came from samurai families though and tried to turn the clock backwards in Japan.

Jan