Any movies from the German perspective during the war?

now i have das boot, stalingrad, and cross of iron?
any idea of any other movie?

Downfall (haven’t seen it yet, though).

o yeah, i have that one too actually
its not an action movie, but overall a good one

Sven Hassel’s first novel Wheels of terror was made into a movie though it was renamed misfit brigade in some countries, havent seen it myself but my cousin has and he reckoned it was ok but not as good as the book.

Cross of iron and stalingrad is very good movies ,dawnfall is good but this two is better for me.

Conspiracy, with Kenneth Branagh & Stanley Tucci

We’ve mentioned this before, but it bears repeating.

More accurately, a film from the Nazi perspective than German, but valid nonetheless.

No action, but excellent acting and a fine script that brings home the horror of the Final Solution.

• I cannot believe that nobody here mentioned the movie named “The Bridge” or “Die Brucke”. I saw only one time this black and white movie back in Romania in late 1970s. It is a very good movie [102 min] from late 1950s made by West Germany. During the last days of WW2 some young German guys have the mission to keep a bridge not to be captured by the enemy [US Army]. Their sacrifice is in vain. For more info about this interesting sad movie please enter here at http://www.ihffilm.com/512-es.html Anyone who remembers now this movie??? Orita 12/13/05
  • Another WW2 movie which fits to this topic is “A Time to Love and a Time to Die”. This is a movie [132 min] from 1958 based on an excellent book written by the German author Erich Maria Remarque [1898-1970]. The author of the book [Erich Maria Remarque] plays himself in this WW2 movie as “Professor Pohlmann”. It’s a very good realistic movie but I hate the end which is very sad. For more info about this movie see here at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052296/ Orita 12/13/05
  • There is also this 1985 movie [I have it on DVD] named “Hitler’s S.S.: Portrait in Evil”. It’s the story of 2 brothers and their family starting with early 1930s in Germany until the end of WW2 in 1945. For more info about this movie read here at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089279/ Orita 12/14/05

“Sophie Scholl: The Final Days” is out at cinemas now I think. I saw a preview of this film on the BBC and it looks pretty good

For anyone who doesn’t know who Sophie Scholl is, she was involved in a anti-Nazi group in Munich called “The White Rose” mid-late in the war who tried to convince other German students that Hitler was ruining their country

lets just say that the Munich authorities didn’t take very kindly to them

• Again for this topic there is a 1982 long movie named “Inside the Third Reich”. The movie is based on the book with the same title, book written by Albert Speer. The movie is about the life of Albert Speer [1905-1981] who was Hitler’s chief architect and the minister of armaments in Hitler’s cabinet. Albert Speer was released from prison in 1966, he had been sentenced at Nurnberg in 1946. It’s a very good movie about WW2 and Germany before and after 1939. To read more about this movie see here at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084140/ Orita 12/14/05

nice find,those movies are not that bad, maybe i will try to find them when i go back to hk:)

anyways, any movie that is a classic for “nazi rules over germany”
i mean the recent ones, thanks

Marlin Brando plays a disaffected Wehrmacht Lieutenant in “The Young Lions.”

Hi Folks,

some ads to this theme. I agree with Orita about “the bridge” These young guys should hold the bridge that was just before their doorstep. These boys died in sight of their homes. At the end a demolition team arrived to blow up the bridge that these boys had just defended…
Other german movies" Haie und kleine Fische" “Sharks and small fish” from the same author who wrote “the Boot”. I dont know if this movie exsist in english.
Hans-Helmuth Kirst: “Fabrik der Offiziere” “factory of officers” I dont know if a movie exist in english.
“The last days”, a black an white version of the down fall.

One small note to the downfall. A last the secretary speaks about could she had known all this. She mentiond yes as she has seen that Sophie Scholl was born on the same year as herself

You have “Der Untergang”

the eagle has landed was good

A film from a german perspective m8…

Schindlers list.

Hi Stahler,
Thanks for mentioning “Officers factory”. Yes, it existed in English version with subtitles. I had seen it in Poland in German version with lector.
I believe that there was more movies based on H.H. Kirst books -
“O8/15”, “Gunner Asch goes to war”. (I have all the books - I think seven)
These movies were very popular in Poland just after revolt in 1956.
My father, (veteran of italian front), liked them very much and told me that these movies were the only ones about war which he regarded as “true soldiers movies”. When I reached age of 15 when I could watch movies with my Dad in 70’s, there was nothing to watch…
Numerous soviet and american productions my father commented with one word - “crap”.
(I never forget his reaction to “Kelly’s Heroes”. When he saw scene when Shermans go out of the tunnel, he wanted to go out of the cinema… he was Sherman tanker himself.)
I think in the year eleven I joined club which was showing special, interesting movies for closed audience. (Yes, something like that existed in communist Poland and I managed to join only because my close friends father was colonel in the police.)
I asked chairman of the club about “Officers Factory” and other “Kirst” movies.
After a week he said - yes, we can see them.
My father get special membership and delighted could see his favourite movies again. We had seen three in a marathon viewing.
After, I asked him what is so special in them. He explained that soldiers mentality, the way they reacted, talked, wanted to survive the war, was the same everywhere, no matter which in which army they served.
He also said that soldiers were not patriotic at all. They also did not hated the enemy. What really counted were people from their own unit.
Enemy soldiers were treated not differently than own soldiers, from different regiment. There could be more friendship between “own” POWs than between units of the same army which were antagonistic.
Remembering his stories about treatment of POW and admition that sometimes POWs were shot, I wanted more explanation.
He explained that yes, such things happened on both sides, but it was not hate, war was just like that.
For him movies based on H.H Kirst books were the best, because there was no patriotic blabber, no heroes, no hate and just normal soldiers - color of uniform irrelevant.

P.S. I read “The Bridge” in polish but I don’t remember author. Book is excellent too.

Lancer44

Hey …what about Stalingrad?

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800263541/details