Any one related to Civil War Vets

My great great grandpa Charles Jones and his brother William Jones were apart of the 24th Henry Guards division they were from ridgeway virginia a city in Henry county they both fought at Gettysburg and William was killed at appomattox. So if any one would like to share their relation to a Civil War vet then please do

This is the division flag

I have an ancestor that fought for the union. Was captured and died in prison camp. I’ll see if I can get more info from my parents. They have some letters and such.

Yep, I have a bunch of ancestors who fought for the Confederacy in the South. My Grandmother was big into the Daughters of the American Revolution and she’s traced us all the way back to the American Revolution. We have a family genealogy book that tells all about the relatives who serve in the Civil War. I have a favorite story about my Great, Great etc. Grandfather who was a judge during the C.W… He went to the Union headquarters to protest the Union’s abuse of women. As he was going down the steps to leave, he was shot in the back of the head. He lived, but lost his eyesight, so his daughter, my Great, Great etc. Grandmother was his eyes in the courtroom until his death.

ah you wouldnt happen to be a member of daughters of confederate vets would you?

I read this term a couple of times now. What is it? Although sounding harmless, it seems not to be a very popular organisation.

Still working on info.

Sorry, trying to post with signature.

No. I’ve never even heard of it, TBH. Maybe some day I’ll join the D.A.R., or something like that, but I’m too busy researching WWII and doing “reverse genealogy” tracing of WWII vets so I can return their lost dog tags to them or their next of kin. I can’t try to cram Civil War knowledge into my head just yet. I only know about our civil war ancestors from my Girardeau Family genealogy book, which I review from time to time to get in touch with my roots, lol. Most of them were from Liberty County, GA and the Charlotte, NC area. A branch of the family went to FL either right before or right after the Civil War.

I’m sure the dog tag work will slow down eventually and I’ll be forced to move onto something else, so who knows, maybe I’ll start on the civil war. I’ll miss doing the tracing on the WWII vets when I finally run out because I always learn some new story about WWII as I go along. Some vets/families tell more interesting/unusual stories than others, but I think they are all great! Back to topic: the ancestors I had in the Confederacy were Burnham’s, Girardeaus, and Smallwoods.

Trying again.

again

No, flame,
on the contrary, bro, the sons and daughters of confederate vets is a well respected organization that has has thousands of members that share history, help out in re-enactments, and are a wealth of history on the subject of the civil war.i talked to some of their folks at the re-enactments. my great uncles, Dick Barnett and his brother in law Marshall Elliott fought for the confederacy in the Virginia Army. Dick won a little local publicity as being somewhat of a gunfighter after the war

There were many from my maternal family in the Civil War, an old family, landed here in 1631.We have many letters, and other mementos spread around the family, I have read some from a distant relative named Mathew, who fought at Harper’s ferry, just related the day to day goings on, (except for military info) Really nice things to flesh out a life from that period.

I’m sure I do, I’ll have to ask the genealogy freaks in my family…

Hey his name is Robert Mullen he is my Great great great grandpap. Around Philadelphia I think. He fought in the Civil war. Maybe the Revalutionary war I don’t remeber.

Yes my friend we do have may members indeed and i myself have been in a few reenactments one time as cavalry and the other as infantry my last one was about six months ago

It was the American Civil War pal.

Maybe we need a “Were You a Roundhead or Royalist?” thread?:wink: