Any U-Boats near you?

I live on the New Jersey Shore, next to the town of Point Pleasant. About 20 years ago divers found the wreckage of the German submarine U 869. I know U-boats were up and down the American East Coast, some going into New York Harbor, and another instance of a U-boat sinking a vessel in the St. Lawrence river in Canada. Does anybody have any sunken subs near them? ( or of any country for that matter )

Hi Garm1and

This is what I could find.

19 Jul 2013 - British archaeologists recently discovered more than 40 German U-boats, what many adventurers around the world can only dream of doing." … All of the sunken U-boats are relatively close to the coast, at depths of no …

British archaeologists recently discovered more than 40 German U-boats sunk during World War I off the coast of England. Now they are in a race against time to learn the secrets hidden in their watery graves.

And there are plenty more around our coast, off the coast of Ireland, can’t remember where now, I seen on a tv program, all the captured U-Boats were take far out to sea, and blown up,

Chunky

That’s pretty cool. I imagine they are deteriorating badly at this point in time. The wreck of the U 869 cost the life of a diver when they found it. Pretty dangerous work.

If you are ever in the Chicago area, the Museum of Science, and Industry has the U-505 on display, you can walk through it. (for a small price of course)

Hi garm1and & tankgeezer,

No swimmer or diver, but the feeling you must get when you dive down to them, must out of this world. I would love to see Chicago, and the Museum of Science, but I don’t think I will ever have the luck to do:(.

I believe they have a website showing some pics of it,lemme look, yep, here it is, www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/u-505/‎ and there is this video from youtube http://youtu.be/CSV705p_S68 at least you can see some of it in its preserved state.

Tried your first link and it came up “page not found?”, you-tube video was great to watch, you can’t tell size of it, until you see the people walking around it, thank you for showing it.

Sorry the link didn’t work, you can search U-505 Chicago Science, and industry Museum, maybe that will get you to the site. There were some pics of the interior.

Will do tankgeezer, there’s a lot of under water War Graves and Museums out there.

Thanks tankgeezer, I enjoyed the youtube video. If I get out to Chicago, I WILL check it out!

Operation Deadlight was the allied sinking of the majority of captured U-Boats after the war.

Operation Regenbogen was the order for German Military Vessels to be sunk on 30th April 1945 (later rescinded by Donitz)

For the fates of many and the locations known this site is pretty comprehensive for German U-Boats

http://www.uboat.net/index.html

Was Operation Deadlight and effort to prevent the Soviets from getting u-boat technology and tips? I read recently the U.S. Navy sank captured Japanese aircraft carrier subs like the (recently found) I-400 for that very reason as the Russians were clamoring to see the big subs under treaty obligations…

Operation Deadlight was the allied sinking of the majority of captured U-Boats after the war.

Operation Regenbogen was the order for German Military Vessels to be sunk on 30th April 1945 (later rescinded by Donitz)

For the fates of many and the locations known this site is pretty comprehensive for German U-Boats

Hi Leccy

This is the one I was thinking of:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uboat.net%2Farticles%2F95.html&ei=ZVKjUqruBOXX7Aa_hoCYBg&usg=AFQjCNEH5s38O56E1lGT844i3c4LRL9qvg

Under the naval agreement with the Soviets they were getting allocated some of the Submarines anyway, France wanted some but the Soviets vetoed it so Britain gave them most of its allocation as they had already tested them and had no further use, the US got sneaked two type XXI early by Britain for testing and did not find them particularly good overall.

Operation Deadlight was the sinking off the coast of Ireland of all the unallocated Submarines held by Britain (100+ if I re-call)

I find it fascinating that they didn’t scrap the subs for metals rather than sink them. But was certainly easier and maybe more economical in the end…