Anybody can see that enslaved prostitutes were necessary

Is this the voice of enlightened 21st century Japanese political manhood from a history idiot, tipped by some as a future prime minister of Japan? It’s pretty clear what sort of Japan he wants to restore.

Osaka’s Toru Hashimoto says ‘comfort women’ were necessary part of war
Posted on May 13, 2013 by John Hofilena in Features, National, Politics
Osaka’s Toru Hashimoto says ‘comfort women’ were necessary part of war

In what could be seen as another controversial statement that could again escalate tensions in the region, Osaka mayor Toru Hashimoto, co-leader of the Japan Restoration Party, said on Monday that “comfort women” were a necessary element of World War II for Japanese soldiers. “Comfort women” was a term coined for those women – usually from countries that Japan occupied – who provided sex for Imperial Army soldiers during the war. Hashimoto then acknowledged that these women served soldiers “against their will.”

“In the circumstances in which bullets are flying like rain and wind, the soldiers are running around at the risk of losing their lives. If you want them to have a rest in such a situation, a system like the ‘comfort women’ is necessary. Anyone can understand that,” Hashimoto told reporters in Osaka. “When I checked the history of those years, I found that not only the Japanese army but also those of various countries were utilizing (comfort women),” he added. Then the Osaka mayor seemed to soften his stance, saying “It is a result of the tragedy of the war that they became comfort women against their will. The responsibility for the war also lies with Japan. We have to politely offer kind words to (former) comfort women.” The issue of these women has been a flashpoint for anti-Japanese sentiments in Asia over the years. This was the reason why in 1995, a statement was released by then-Prime Minister Tomiichi Murayama, which expressed remorse and apology to Asian countries on Japan’s colonial rule and aggression, a statement which Hashimoto said he supported. “Japan is a defeated country,” he said. “As a result of the defeat in the war, we must accept (the view) that what Japan did was aggression. There are no doubts (about the accusation) that Japan caused tremendous suffering and damage to neighboring countries. Japan must reflect on it and make an apology.”

Japanese actions have, in recent weeks, triggered outrage in Japan’s neighbors – specifically in South Korea and China – and has put the spotlight back on Japan’s perspective of its wartime past. These comments by Hashimoto might not sit well with Japan’s neighbors who are always keen to remember Japan’s oppressive imperialistic past, especially as in his recent comments, he supports Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s recent controversial assertion that the definition of aggression has yet to be decided. “What Prime Minister Abe is saying is correct in that, academically, there are no definitions on aggression,” Hashimoto said.

http://japandailypress.com/osakas-toru-hashimoto-says-comfort-women-were-necessary-part-of-war-1328758

How many millions of unwilling male conscripts have been subjected to worse ordeals, the world over…

How many millions of unwilling male conscripts have been subjected to worse ordeals, the world over.

I confess, I really find this to be an objectionable comment, as the friend of a rape survivor. At the least, it comes across to me as making light of the effects of rape and forced prostitution. Military conscription of males may indeed take place the world over, but is usually restricted to nationals with some allegiance to the country being served, for obvious reasons. There are of course exceptions, and then there’s also conscription into forced labor, etc. I am in no way making light of the terrors of combat (BTW, weren’t females also conscripted by the Red Army? I’m not sure). But I’m sure some “comfort Women” suffered everything from PTS to post-war stigma every bit as bad as a front-line soldier. And, given the ratio of support soldiers to soldiers on the line, you can damn well bet many male conscripts had far less to complain about than these women.

Okay. I vented.

Noted Ardee,

Well, I’d reckon that the many millions of male conscripts who have been like-wise forcibly bastardised ‘trained’
[& sometimes also raped] & then subjected to all manner of horrific combat experiences as compulsory recipients
&/or participants, are -at least- in no way less deserving of consideration than collateral ‘victims of war’…
…how being bashed, burned, mutilated, starved, shocked & etc, can be regarded as ‘light’ is also ‘objectionable’…

To J.A.W., your post is far off topic, do refrain from such activities while on these boards. Such posts contribute nothing to the threads, and serve only to cause friction among the membership.

So that makes it fine that the Japanese abducted women and ****ed them sometimes 20-times a day? No big deal?

&/or participants, are -at least- in no way less deserving of consideration than collateral ‘victims of war’…
…how being bashed, burned, mutilated, starved, shocked & etc, can be regarded as ‘light’ is also ‘objectionable’…

Most soldiers are paid and are under arms. They aren’t truly captives. Are you comparing the plight if the typical Japanese soldier to that of a Korean “comfort woman?”

The facts of the matter speak for themselves…it is on record…

What was the ‘fate’ of the conscripts on Tarawa, Iwo-Jima, Tinian, & etc? burned alive in their holes?
Or forced to commit suicide with a grenade or futile banzai charge?

What of the conscripts of other armies, who would ‘frag’ their own officers - rather than be forced to undertake
worse things?

Sorry J.A.W. but you are thread jacking, a practice which is not allowed. Being a matter of “record” or not, it has no place in this thread. Any more, and the posts will be deleted. You may consider this an official notice.

How can a discussion of the relative horrors of war, inflicted on compelled participants,
& entered in a specific military history forum in any form, be ‘thread jacking’?

Is that the view of the original author of the thread?

Wasn’t the title provocative per-se?

Can you see the irony in this … with the ‘official notice’ & sanctions for non compliance?

Isn’t that what ‘draftees’ received, too?

What is the real reason for wanting to shut this down?

[P.M. me if it is personal].

The reason for wanting the thread jacking to stop is that it is against forum rules. It is thread jacking because it has nothing to do with the original Poster’s topic. I have no intention of debating this with you. Comport yourself in a mature, and adult manner, and abide by the rules of the site, and you will have fewer problems.

Hey, no problem for me, I can read…

As I said, further straying would be deleted, or in this case, edited. Though I am pleased that you can read.

Saw a very graphic movie on this recently.
I believe the word “prostitute” is too light.
These women were basically gang-raped.
Many died or were brutalised for life.
I enlisted to avoid being drafed. I spent 18 months in an outpost on the Cambodian border.
I saw lots of death, misery and pain. I still got a bullet in one lung.
I’d do that several times over rather than experience what those women did.

I have uneasy feelings about the sex that was available there in some areas.
Plentiful, cheap, and impersonal. GIs dismissed it saying-“That’s just how these people are.”
Not so sure, retrospectively.
Nothing like the Japanese bestiality, but not real good, either.
They did get paid, and were technically prostitutes, but I think circumstances promoted this.
A good many German women were forced to prostitute themselves potwar as well. They often fed their children and families in this manner.
There is a good deal of literature on this entire subject. Not real pretty.

It must be born in mind that the Japanese mindset was one of extreme hierarchy…
& their code ranked human value in descending order… from Hirohito down…through his minions…

Their view was… “Duty is a heavy as a mountain… Death is as light as a feather.”

This was [& still is] alien to our norms…

But it does show why their brutality , which seems so cruel, & yet casual… is still a vexing issue…

In their world-view,subject foreign women & surrendered enemy personnel were way down the list
from their own people, who were yet still subject to what we would consider unconscionable treatment.

This does not mean that certain sadistic personalities didn’t take advantage of their power…

…but that happened [& still happens] elsewhere too… eh, mods…

Quote from J.A.W. : "This does not mean that certain sadistic personalities didn’t take advantage of their power…

…but that happened [& still happens] elsewhere too… eh, mods… "
Perhaps this passes as humor for you, but I fail to be amused. Second official notice.

Quote from J.A.W. : "This does not mean that certain sadistic personalities didn’t take advantage of their power…

…but that happened [& still happens] elsewhere too… eh, mods… "
Perhaps this passes as humor for you, but I fail to be amused. Second official notice.

From J.A.W. "…but that happened [& still happens] elsewhere too… eh, mods… " Since you don’t listen, you get a second notice. Don’t know what manner of games you play elsewhere, but here you are expected to behave yourself.

Jeeze, who’d of thought that someone calling hisself …‘Tankgeezer’…

Would be so lacking in irony…

Do what your mod status allows you to do, & in so doing…prove the point of the thread…

Rampant authoritarianism…

Since you insist on trolling as though you have a Right to do so,in addition to thread jacking, you are given 2 infraction points, and 7 days vacation. You might use this time to reflect on your life.