Anyone know any WW2 Seabees?

I am looking for information on CBMU 554 and 574 on Johnston Island. My father was a MM2 attached to those batallions. Other than him talking about the gooney birds and how small the rock was he did not talk about much more. His records do not give a lot of information as to where all he was between 43 to 45 other than being assigned to 554 and 574. Anyone out there have any info on the Johnston Island Seabees?

Do you have any pics of your Dad from back then? Feel free to put some up here. We would appreciate seeing them.

Here are a few of nmy Father at home '43 then at Port Hueme '44 or how ever its spelled Thats CBMU 574 platoon 4 and then on Johnston Island latter '44

The Port Hueme picture had the names and home towns for most of the group.

Good pics. I always liked the pork pie cap from back then. Here are a few pics from me. Dad at the Seabee Memorial in D.C., age 81. Some of Dad’s decorations that I put together. And lastly, Dad on some far away island. (age 21)

Seebees were the coolest. Growing up in a Navy neighborhood we all use to pretend we were Seebees when playing ‘war’.

I’m looking for any pictures of my dad or anyone that knew him His name was John William Bicknell. Thank-you

My dad was in 42-44, and was with cb unit 552, stationed in johnston island

Was over at the Naval Historical Center today and saw this:

“US Navy Construction Battalions (Seabees) In France
and Germany During World War Two”

Here’s the link:

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/constructfrancegermanyww2.htm

Slow server today however…

My dad is 83yrs & was a Sea Bee. He served in the south pacific . I will ask him for the specifics. He has many photos I can scan & share that create a portrait of his 3yrs of service. If anyone is interested in these posts or furhter information let me know.

Go right ahead, should be really interesting.

:)I don’t know if anyone ever reads archived files around here?
But I thought to post a reply… since I’m new here and this actual page is how I found this forum to begin with…
My grandfather is in his eighties… still alive and was with the SeaBees… Fighting Forty… he is always telling me stories and I guess I was wondering if there are any other SeaBees still around from World War II?
I don’t have many pictures of him except for just a few… the others were all lost in hurricane Katrina… My grandfather was in the New Hebrides? (spell check) Papua New Guinea on the actual islands and he was wherever else… he was a Petty Officer 3rd class when he was in… and he was a chemist but given the “job descrip” of SF3C which I guess is Shipfitter? He knew how to do all of that stuff too I guess…He said they could have made him a petty officer 1st class but the fact was that he was too young…something to do with that…
Anyway… he has told me some amazing stories of back in his days …He went in 1942… and he still says he is surprised he lived through it all… where many of his friends didn’t survive… He even ended up with Dengue and Malaria… while over there… Anyway… I’d love to be able to find some pictures of the Fighting Forty Battalion if there are any out there… and perhaps even other SeaBees… that are still around from that time…
He had alot of friends when he was in… from California to the South to even up North… so … looking forward to hearing from whomever…Thanks!

I am efforting to get my dad to dig up his old photos , its slow going for him after 2 strokes . … I haver seen someintyeresting pix…am working on it …

My father (Hardie Lensford Bass) was in the 122nd NCB. However, he never talked about his service. I have several bits of Seabee memorabilia (including his copy of Base Pacific) and recently found and scanned negatives of scenes at Hollandia and (I assume) Samar. His DD214 indicates that he served at or was assigned to the following: 122nd NCB, Pontoon Assembly Detail #3, 122 NOB “A” Division and the 29th NCB. Most of this means little to me except that I know he served in the Philippines and New Guinea. He was a “Motor Mechanic 3rd Class” but we always though he was a Machinist Mate 3rd Class, because the rating symbol (the screw or propellor) is the same. Anything pertinent will be appreciated.

My grandpa was a WWII Seabee.
He was in Base Maint. Unit Detach #502
Navy #133
Co.A - Platoon #1 - Batt. #85 (I think he was at Camp Bradford, Virginia)

Does anyone have any information or history of these Seabee units?

I remember him saying he was stationed in New Zealand, Austrailia, Vella LaVella.
Can’t remember anything else.
I know I have a few pictures of him, but I can’t find them yet. When I do, I’ll try to post them up.

Unfortunately, my family and I weren’t able to record any of his stories before he died. We had a person set up to come and record him, but they kept putting the date off. And now, it’s too late.

We have a ton of letters from him to his wife and vice versa, though. They are quite simple in what they talk about, but they’re fun to read anyway.

Mu uncle was a SeaBee, dunno what unit.
He spent a long time on Guadalcanal and some other places while they still were being contested.
He had a bunch of souveniers that disappeared over the years.

He didn’t speak much about it.
He was particularly un happy over the final cleanup of a big base he was on.

They loaded all sorts of stuff on a barge and he used a small dozer to push it off into the lagoon.
He repeated this til everything was sunk, then had to run the dozer off te side as well.

So much gear had been manufactured and sent out, it was deemed cheaper to drown it rather than return it.
I have heard similar stories.
Friend of mine has a useless son I have tried to encourage to join the Seabees

my grandfather was a seabee in the pacific theater - served at guam, saipan and tinian. he never spoke of his experiences and has passed away. i found a few pictures with other ppl in them and am curious who they are and if someone might recognize them. ill scan them in if anyone is interested in seeing them - i know he was with the 13th spec. ncb (stevedores) but he didnt stay at guam like alot of them. he served from 6-43 to 11-45. i also know he fought with the marines on saipan and the photo i have is a mix of seabees and marines holding a jap flag. i believe he was with the 2nd, since the 4th earned pres. citation and he did not. his name was Thomas Patrick Judge or “Red” due to his hair color. cant really find anything online maybe someone could point me in the right direction aside from archives in stl which im still waiting for a response.

sorry my email is kennnjennifer@yahoo.com

here is a photo that i have - the man on the very left, standing holding the rifle is my grandfather Thomas P Judge (“Red”) - he was a seabee but clearly he is posing with marines here - if anyone recognizes anyone in this photo or has any info plz shoot me a msg or email - kennnjennifer@yahoo.com

pic_ww2.jpg

My Father was a seabee also. He was in the 28th Regiment Naval REserves Construction Battalion and served in Guam from December 7th, 1943 to July 24th 1946. Have a photo of him with his best buddy down there, and have been looking for him for years…

Anyone know of a David Freeman… from somewhere in Eastern United States… They served together in Guam. My Fathers name is John Fincher.

id like to see that picture if you have it .